PDA

View Full Version : minding for family

pinklady756
10-01-2012, 09:04 AM
What paperwork do I need to do? don't have contracts as really not necessary asking my sisters to do that, have child record forms with all details and gp etc, but I won't need permission slips etc will I?

marian
10-01-2012, 09:13 AM
I minded my niece a few years ago and did everything you would do for a non-related child.

Marian x

EmmaReed84
10-01-2012, 09:41 AM
My MIL minded my two children and did all the paperwork...

During the working week she was CM and any other time was Nanny. It helps to define the line of family and business. Be careful as sometime business and family can cause trouble... Work out EXACTLY what you will charge for what is business, and what is family helping out? ie will you charge EVERYTIME she needs care, or just during the working week?

Setting all this out ina contract keeps it professional

rickysmiths
10-01-2012, 09:47 AM
I would have thought the same as any other minded child. Ofsted would expect to see the paperwork and your insurance company as well.

Greengrass74
10-01-2012, 09:58 AM
I would have thought the same as any other minded child. Ofsted would expect to see the paperwork and your insurance company as well.

I agree with Ricky, you need exactly the same paperwork, permissions forms etc whether the LO is a family member or not.

Regarding contracts I don't believe it is law to have one. They are there to protect you and the person that you are offering the service to and to explain hours T&C etc, however someone else may know differant.

I certainly would not treat a family member any differant regarding paperwork and I certainly would have some sort of contract in place.

Tippy Toes
10-01-2012, 10:24 AM
I cared for my nephew and did all the paperwork, exactly what I do for any other child that comes to my setting.

Mouse
10-01-2012, 10:32 AM
I would phone Ofsted and check. It is advisable to do paperwork to cover yourself, but I don't think you have to when it is for family members.

greenfields
10-01-2012, 10:37 AM
I would have contracts and paperwork in place. I'm thinking it won't take long for you and family member to sign and I'm also thinking it's good practice.

My SIL mentioned using me as a childminder (whether I'll be used or not, I don't know!) but it'll still be business for me so I'd feel I'd have to offer her contract and paperwork just as I would to any other parent.

:)

QualityCare
10-01-2012, 12:53 PM
A friend of mine is a registered childminder but only minds her grandchildren she was told she had to have all paperwork filled in and signed.

Mouse
10-01-2012, 01:20 PM
A friend of mine is a registered childminder but only minds her grandchildren she was told she had to have all paperwork filled in and signed.

Did Ofsted tell her that? I have one friend who only minded for her grandchildren & another who only minded for her niece and they were told they didn't need any paperwork. I'm not sure if it was Ofsted or the DO who told them that.

happydays1
10-01-2012, 01:55 PM
I mind my nephew, i have all the paperwork etc in place, do learning/daily diaries, this works well for both of us. The only thing is if Ofsted came to do a visit when i only had him then he wouldn't count and i would get a no children present.:(