View Full Version : What to do...?

09-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Had an e-mail from a lady one of my current mindees mum's works with. She'd recommended us, and lady is due her first baby in March and looking for childcare from Dec/Jan. She said she knows how quick good cm spaces go.

I told her she was more than welcome to visit, although no contracts etc could be done until baby was born. She said she's busy at the mo but would contact me mid feb to arrange a visit.

Have today had another e-mail from a lady looking for care from Sept/Oct.

We only have 1 space. Do I e-mail the first lady back and explain about the other enquiry, although she can't secure the space until after baby is here, and then her feelings might change too....

Or do I just see this second lady??? I do currently have 1 space... She might not even want us then no problem.

I just hate it because I feel lilke I've already said yes to the first one (although I haven't - just said I have a space) It feels really unprofessional to see this other lady then e-mail back the first saying 'the space has now gone.'

What would you do??


09-01-2012, 04:21 PM
i would see both people. lots can happen in a childminders world!

neither can retain a space until a babe is born, they might not want to pay to retain a space.

good luck x

i've just had a mum at school arrange to come and see me ... she wants 2 days a week from september. i will have one day a week that i know about, and will have to see about the other day when we get closer!

09-01-2012, 05:01 PM
I would see them both. You may not not feel you like the recommended one when you meet you never know.

09-01-2012, 05:17 PM
definately see them both, soooooo much can happen in a childminding year!

09-01-2012, 05:36 PM
But what if the one that contacted me today comes out and wants to go ahead & do contracts & pay deposit? Do I just go with them - or say I have others to see. Parents normally come out straight away and secure the space if they want it, so never had this situation before.


09-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Oh tricky one - I know the other lady contacted you first but baby has not been born yet and this new enquiry wants to start a good 3 months earlier. As others have said lots can change in a year so think hard before you turn work down.

You can try and be fair only to have it blow up in your face - I recently turned down work because one of my mums who was due to go on mat leave decided to keep her child with me to ensure (as I thought) I would have two spaces available when she returns to work. Found out today that she has contacted local out of school club to have one of the children whilst I continue with baby.

Miffy xx

09-01-2012, 07:04 PM
I wold see them both and see what happens,, you only have one space now but come december who knows what could happen, you may loose one ofyour current children so another space opens up or you could juggle both parents on different days and eventualy ask ofsted for a variation so you have both children on the same days.

09-01-2012, 09:42 PM
I would see them both and if the one who is not pregnant at the moment is happy to pay a retainer for the whole time then sign them up! If they don't want to pay a retainer but say they are interested and want to wait til nearer the time then just leave it that you will contact if someone else wishes to sign up and so they can have the choice if they wish to start paying a retainer or not.

10-01-2012, 12:28 PM
I'm seeing the one that wants to start in Sept on Thursday.

I don't charge a retainer, as the space isn't free. I thought retainers were to hold a space that is available - but they don't want it yet.

I do charge a £100 deposit to secure the space though, which is deducted of first months fees.

I guess if she wants the space then I'll sign them up, and have to let the other family know. She said herelf in her e-mail to me she knows how quickly spaces go - but can't come until mid feb.

I hate letting people down. :(


10-01-2012, 01:08 PM
Its tricky but I have learnt from experience.
I had a mindee whos mum was expecting and I agreed to hold a space for the sibling. So I held a space for 7months without any payment and turned down a couple of enquiries.
Baby started, cried solidly for 8 weeks and had to leave. :(

So now I wont hold a space for a long length of time and I fill my spaces with enquiries whoever enquires and fits in :blush:

10-01-2012, 01:47 PM
I agree with bexc, I would go with whoever is willing to give you the deposit and sign contracts first.

I have sometimes have people call around even when I don't have spaces as some have left their details with me on the basis that I will keep them up to date just in case a space becomes available.

Also I had a lady and her little girl around but immediately felt I didn't "gel" with either of them. She started "telling" me what she was going expect me to do, and when I mentioned the children had an active interest in looking after our animals she said "well we won't be wanting do that". Strangely she still wanted to use me, but I said I had another lady coming later in the week, and as she had made the appointment first, I couldn't offer the place yet. I called her back and made the excuse I had taken on the other lady. Anyway - the moral of the story - you may not want to work with one of them, and if it is the lady you can't see until Feb you may regret waiting.

10-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Yes you are right you can't charge a retainer unless you can take them on. When you said you had 1 space I just presumed you meant from now. Even better then :-)

Tippy Toes
10-01-2012, 02:20 PM
I would see the second lady. Sometimes you have to put feeling aside and do what is best for you and your family.

As the second lady wants care for sept/oct and first wants from dec/jan you will also be losing out on income for those months and who is to say the lady might change her might about needing care after her baby is born? You never know what is going to happen.

10-01-2012, 10:46 PM
I always make a point of saying on the phone and at initial meetings that i operate a first come first served basis and that i will not hold spaces with out a deposit/retainer but should the space go i can place them on my waiting list and should another space become available i will contact them and if they want it they can have it xx

11-01-2012, 08:55 PM
See them both. By the time they want to do contracts (or start) you may even have space for them both. A lot can change in a year. I would just make it clear that although you currently have a space, that you cannot guarantee that it will still be available a year from now.