PDA

View Full Version : How did you feel in your first few weeks?

Mollymop
20-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Just wondering how you all felt in your first week week, months of childminding.
You see, I feel as if I have to be busy doing things, such as in the garden, going to the park, cooking, painting with them, observing and I don't take my eyes off the little 3 year old for one second. I even feel bad if I go to the toilet or nip upstairs.
Am I being too over zealous?
I mean, do you always do activities with them all day long? As i feel i should be. I feel bad if I don't. Surley I can have a few minutes sitting with my magazine while she is playing or painting?

Trouble
20-05-2008, 04:52 PM
you can look else wear for a second if she happy and as long as you can see her she is fine

i have 2 2 1/2yo and they play happily together so i observe sometimes with a cuppa in my hand but its funny to watch them why disterb them

its tirering, but eventually you will relax a bit more and you notice things and sound to be wary of it becomes second nature

hope you had a good day going to make tea will catch you later

di xxx

Wendy Woo
20-05-2008, 05:20 PM
I was like that wen i started but after 6mths i have learnt to relax and sit back at times. Un need 10mins sometimes just watchin and chillin its good 4 u and the children i think. It also helps them to understand independance i feel so that they dont alays need to rely on u 4 interaction.
I do activities everyday and play with them both inside and out but i aslo take time out at times. As long as u keep ur eye on them they will be ok

sarah707
20-05-2008, 06:11 PM
If you think that eyfs says 50% child initiated play and 50% adult initiated activities, that's about what you should be looking at through the day. I do a planned activity morning and afternoon and the rest of the day they play - I put out things for them to play with and let them suggest others, I make sure there are interesting things lying about for them to find and do, but I go with their play...

If they want to take the tea set outside to the tent and have a picnic with the dolls, that's me with a cuppa and a sit down on the patio while they're happy, so long as I'm poised to intervene or get involved should they want me.

Don't rush about and forget about yourself... you wouldn't do that in an office would you? You'd stand and chat by the photocopier, you'd have a tea break... :D

angeldelight
20-05-2008, 06:14 PM
I go with the flow

If we want to relax we do

Dont wear yourself out - you are supposed to be having fun too

Angel xx

Mollymop
20-05-2008, 06:20 PM
If you think that eyfs says 50% child initiated play and 50% adult initiated activities, that's about what you should be looking at through the day. I do a planned activity morning and afternoon and the rest of the day they play - I put out things for them to play with and let them suggest others, I make sure there are interesting things lying about for them to find and do, but I go with their play...

If they want to take the tea set outside to the tent and have a picnic with the dolls, that's me with a cuppa and a sit down on the patio while they're happy, so long as I'm poised to intervene or get involved should they want me.

Don't rush about and forget about yourself... you wouldn't do that in an office would you? You'd stand and chat by the photocopier, you'd have a tea break... :D

Thanks alot, phew! It's just she is on her own with me at the moment as she is my first mindee, cailtin is at playschool for most of the time she is here, so I find I am playing with her all day long and even though I don't mind it, it does wear me out, and i get a headache by the end of the day.
i should let her go with the flow a few times.
I guess I just got to get used to it and then I am sure i'll be ok.
I dunno, i guess it's cos I am new to it all, i just want everything to be perfect and I get worried about obs and all that.

jcqhughes
20-05-2008, 07:01 PM
I'M WITH YOU SANDRA I'M EXACTLY THE SAME!
WHEN THERE IS ONLY 1 CHILD HERE THEY DO TEND TO RELY ON YOU TO OCCUPY THEM THROUGHOUT THE DAY, IT'S EASIER WHEN THERE ARE OTHER CHILDREN HERE SO THEY CAN PLAY TOGETHER.
BUT STILL NEED MORE CHILDREN! AS MOST OF THE WEEK IT'S ONLY EVER 1 CHILD AT A TIME, I FIND THE DAY GOES QUICKER WHEN IT'S BUSY
LIKE YOU I FIND IT DRAINING PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY :eek: AS THEY SEE YOU AS THEIR PLAYMATE AND YOU FEEL SORRY FOR THEM BECAUSE THEY'RE BY THEMSELVES!

JACQUI XX

Banana
20-05-2008, 07:35 PM
In the begining I did fee ike I had to constantly be doing something with the kids but now I know that there is no harm in letting them play independently aswell. Its just finding the right balance.

Things will calm down once you get more into a routine! Just remember to enjoy yourself!

xx

Straws
20-05-2008, 08:16 PM
I have only been minding a few weeks, I go out for a walk after breakfast maybe to the shops, park or see the horses only for 3/4 of a hour. Then I just let them play together, then nap time, dinner time and a activity in the afternoon rest of the time they will play, or like today they sat and watched TV for half an hour while i had a cuppa and filled in the daily diarys. I find the day goes really quick:) and I dont have time to do some of the things I planned. Go with the flow if you don't get done what you had planned do it another day.

Straws xx

breezy
20-05-2008, 09:30 PM
I find just having one child is much harder work!!!!!!!!!!!!
have you tried a local toddler group?
things do get easier once you relax and get into a routine.
are there any other minders in your area, maybe you could meet up with them

give it time and try and relax and enjoy :thumbsup:

jo f
20-05-2008, 09:32 PM
I've been minding since November and think then I was trying to do too much. I was absolutely shattered and only started to switch off from planning, cleaning, ( and being on here!!!) well after 11 at night.
I do let the kids play more freely now, and have realised how important this is/ don't feel guilty for actually stopping and having a brew!
Its actually my hubby who has made me realise, you just want to do it right!

Pudding Girl
20-05-2008, 09:39 PM
I was absolutely shattered and only started to switch off from planning, cleaning, ( and being on here!!!) well after 11 at night.
I do let the kids play more freely now, and have realised how important this is/ don't feel guilty for actually stopping and having a brew!

my feelings exactly.

I think I tried to be SUperwoman at first but have calmed down a lot now! it would have been unsustainable, I know I want to do a good job, but I was burning myself out, and then had a fortnight where I probably went the other way and let them play themselves too much really.

I think I am finally settled in myself now and know that we do about the right balance of play, "work", fun stuff, activities, etc

bubbly
20-05-2008, 09:40 PM
I was like you when I first began Sandra but quickly learned that you can't go at that pace for long. I plan a couple of activities a day and then leave the girl (I mind a soon-to-be 4 year old girl & a baby boy) to choose what she wants to do for the remainder of the time. I have to do that for my own sanity as the girl is very demanding and difficult.

Don't feel quilty as everyone deserves a break and a cuppa every now and again.

crazybones
21-05-2008, 07:11 AM
Does that mean we shouldnt lock them in the cupboard when we have our lunch hour, morning and afternoon break then? :laughing:

You will relax Sandra - you are still finding your feet and getting used to each other.

Delly
21-05-2008, 09:33 AM
I totally agree with you Sandra, I nearly burnt myself out with the stress the other week with trying to fit everything into the day, my mindees are 16mth and 9mth, plus my own ds 18mth.. I was so at the end of my tether I nearly gave notice to the parents.

Another few weeks on things have improved massively, I try to do an activity in the morning or go to a playgroup, then free play before lunch, then sleep time, then off to the park before school.. I'm managing to get all my obs done (which were stressing me out no end!!) and the kids seem happy so thats the main thing!..

i'm sat here enjoying the peace and quiet as they have all decided to sleep this morning, so even managing to get on here..

I think as other people have said, just relax and go with the flow as you get more experience it will get easier. :)