PDA

View Full Version : Tongue Tie

handeme
09-01-2012, 01:31 PM
My 21 month old has tongue tie and the doctors said it may affect his speech but were reluctant to refer him on for any speech development of to have the tie cut.

He is talking and is saying a lot of words but not all clear. I was thinking this was correct for the stage/age he is at. I am just been over cautious with his speech. Would you say speech wise he is at the right spot?

C x

sarahjane
09-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Obviously all children develop at different rates, but I would say at the moment he is doing fine by the sounds of it.
If it's any help, my 17 year old daughter has tongue tie and never needed any op or speech therapy, the only thing she finds really frustrating is she can't stick her tongue out ;)

tmcnelis
09-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Hi there,

My son is now 28months and he has tongue tie, which is very far forward. He has been referred to maxillofacial unit at hospital and they see him every 6months to check it as they do not want to cut it unless it is causing him speech problems.

He is quite clear in his speech but does have a lisp so we need to find out if that is causing the lisp. We were reluctant to go through with the procedure unless there was a problem as he would need to be under general anaesthetic but will go ahead if need be.

I hope you manage to get it sorted. Its hard to tell at such a young age if their speech is affected...

Tracy xx

ajs
10-01-2012, 07:21 AM
Obviously all children develop at different rates, but I would say at the moment he is doing fine by the sounds of it.
If it's any help, my 17 year old daughter has tongue tie and never needed any op or speech therapy, the only thing she finds really frustrating is she can't stick her tongue out ;)

Both dh and ds are the same as this, certainly hasn't stopped them talking :laughing:

I'm sure your son will be fine but just keep an ear n his speech, if you're at all concerned askto see someone at the hospital

BuggsieMoo
10-01-2012, 07:44 AM
I look after a 5 year old who had this cut Jan 2010 when he was just 4. His speech previously was affected and it made him reluctant to talk. Once he has his cut he started to stick his toungue out lots cos it was something new and people who didnt know the situation started to tell him off for it :mad: however I spoke to my DO about him as we wanted to work on his speech (me and parents) to help overcome the shyness it had created and for him to learn some control of his tongue and she got me a copy of The Tongue Story about Mr Tongue which has actions in it. I can highly recommend this story - his speech is lovely now and even though he can control his tongue, we still as a setting have great fun sharing this story x:thumbsup:

handeme
10-01-2012, 07:51 AM
He does appear to be talking with a lisp and it is noticeable when saying TH words.

The tongue story sounds fab, wonder where I could get a copy from? X