PDA

View Full Version : What paperwork do you share with Nursery?

Toothfairy
08-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Advice please.
I have a mindee who is with me 5 days a week at the moment but starting next week will now be going to nursery 2 days a week so her parents can use her free childcare vouchers.

What paperwork do you share with the child's new Key worker?

I was thinking of putting together a little folder containing;
*A cover letter from me to introduce myself
*A copy of my long term planning (12m) and my monthly planning (say for the next 3 months).
*A copy of the childs play plan for the forthcoming month
*An overview of 'where the child's at' covering the 6 areas of learning and the next steps I have for her.

Is this too much?
What do we need to do, if anything?

PS. Parents have already signed a permission slip for myself and Nursery to communicate and exchange paperwork.

Any advice welcome :thumbsup:

Mouse
08-01-2012, 12:22 PM
From my experience, nurseries are not really interested in our planning or getting any information from us. They are unlikely to change their planning to fit in with what you have done, so I never see the point of sharing it.

I pass on a summary form showing where the child is at in each area of learning and the sort of things I have been doing with them and suggestions for next steps. It's a 2 page document.

I know some of the nursery staff well and they have told me the form gets looked at, put on the child's file and left there. They like to have it as it looks good for them when they have their Ofsted inspection! Their idea of sharing planning with me is to give me a copy of the newsletter that goes out to parents with a list of themes for the coming term.

sarah707
08-01-2012, 03:43 PM
I offer to share the LJ and information about what the child is doing at the moment.

In reality they are not interested - however the offer has been made and the evidence is in the child's file.

I then get in touch a while later and remind them that they are supposed to be sharing with me. They ignore that again and on it goes... again I am building up evidence.

Meanwhile I glean what I can from the child / parents comments / noticeboard and displays etc and put that in the child's file, following interests (and flagging them up as coming from nursery) where I can.

Hth :D

loocyloo
08-01-2012, 03:47 PM
From my experience, nurseries are not really interested in our planning or getting any information from us. They are unlikely to change their planning to fit in with what you have done, so I never see the point of sharing it.

I pass on a summary form showing where the child is at in each area of learning and the sort of things I have been doing with them and suggestions for next steps. It's a 2 page document.

I know some of the nursery staff well and they have told me the form gets looked at, put on the child's file and left there. They like to have it as it looks good for them when they have their Ofsted inspection! Their idea of sharing planning with me is to give me a copy of the newsletter that goes out to parents with a list of themes for the coming term.

agreed!

i pass on a summary sheet. some preschools have asked the parents to give me a sheet to fill in about what the child does/did with me, which then goes in their files. i try to pop in every 6 mths or so, with childs LJ and get keyworker to sign to they have seen it and any comments! i have only ever once seen a childs corresponding LJ, and that was only because mum is a good friend and showed me herself!

green puppy
08-01-2012, 04:37 PM
We tend to communicate more verbally and I jot down anything significant in my diary and later add it to lj's. I photocopy their termly report sheet and they have photocopied some photos recently. I keep letters of events etc.... and sometimes photocopy pictures/drawings if they include something new. I have shown examples of things the children have done with me and pass on new developments/schema/interests at drop off times.

Toothfairy
08-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Thanks everyone :thumbsup:
I won't be going to the nursery as mindee will now be with me 3 days per week and nursery 2 days per week (8am - 6pm).
Parents will take and collect her on those two days, so I won't get to meet her new key worker.

green puppy
08-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Thanks everyone :thumbsup:
I won't be going to the nursery as mindee will now be with me 3 days per week and nursery 2 days per week (8am - 6pm).
Parents will take and collect her on those two days, so I won't get to meet her new key worker.

When one of my lo's started pre school for 3 days a week (before he moved to the nursery) I used to ask his parents to jot down a few things about what he was doing there and how he was getting on in his daily diary.

TooEarlyForGin?
08-01-2012, 08:46 PM
I offer to share LJ's and speak verbally to staff.

I complained to my last inspector that not one nursery/school/pre-school have EVER contacted me, made any effort to work with me over the last 8 years.

Although I must admit to having difficulty getting parents to write in learning journey's or diaries. ;)

Mouse
08-01-2012, 08:58 PM
I offer to share LJ's and speak verbally to staff.

I complained to my last inspector that not one nursery/school/pre-school have EVER contacted me, made any effort to work with me over the last 8 years.

Although I must admit to having difficulty getting parents to write in learning journey's or diaries. ;)

That's what annoys me. Childminders are often picked up on not working with other settings, but they never seem to get critisised for not working with childminders :rolleyes:

mum2two
09-01-2012, 05:07 AM
I agree! I got picked up in last inspection because preschools give me nothing. I provide a little 'all about me' book for the child to share with photo's, likes & an 'I can...' page. Provide latest end of term summary & next step sheets & highlighted eyfs overview of where child is at when they start & provide updates as i do them. But....because they refuse to give me anything I lose out!

They'll look fab in their inspection as all my evidence is there!!

So unfair. :-(

x

nikki thomson
09-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Advice please.
I have a mindee who is with me 5 days a week at the moment but starting next week will now be going to nursery 2 days a week so her parents can use her free childcare vouchers.

What paperwork do you share with the child's new Key worker?

I was thinking of putting together a little folder containing;
*A cover letter from me to introduce myself
*A copy of my long term planning (12m) and my monthly planning (say for the next 3 months).
*A copy of the childs play plan for the forthcoming month
*An overview of 'where the child's at' covering the 6 areas of learning and the next steps I have for her.

Is this too much?
What do we need to do, if anything?

PS. Parents have already signed a permission slip for myself and Nursery to communicate and exchange paperwork.

Any advice welcome :thumbsup:

I really wouldn't put alot of effort into it to TBH, nurserys really arn't intrested at all, I gave up a long time ago with the one near me, life's to short....x

Dragonfly
09-01-2012, 07:24 PM
I speak with the nursery staff but thats it, they just arent intrested. I also get there newsletters on my request, not theirs!

TooEarlyForGin?
10-01-2012, 08:30 PM
I was also told by a parent that when they took a completed learning journey to the little one's new school, she was told they wouldn't use it as they do their own assessments when they join. :( Thank goodness the parents appreciated me.

sarah707
10-01-2012, 08:49 PM
It makes me cross. I wish Ofsted would read threads like this when they put such pressure on childminders to 'work in partnership'.

Many of us try soooo hard and our efforts are wasted :(