PDA

View Full Version : any advice on time?

samkeddy
08-01-2012, 11:24 AM
I have fallen so far behind and need a new method!!

How does everyone else stay on top of things??

Ive got busier (now have a variation for 4 under 5s, 4 days a week among other things) and am really struggling to keep ontop of paperwork, ljs and accounts are about 3 month behind!!!! although i know i can fetch everything upto date in a few days i want to prevent getting this behind in future!!!!!!

i have 6 children and 5 school runs most days (am drop off, am collection, pm drop off and 2 schools for pm collection)
There are no nap times
The only quiet time is friday morning 9-11 where i only have my 2 year old.

Any ideas or tips will be much appreciated
Thanks x

marnieb
08-01-2012, 11:39 AM
lol - i need tips as well!!!! x

karensmart4
08-01-2012, 11:42 AM
You are very busy..

I think I would write obs down as a quick note and set aside a time once a week to write them out properly and do your accounts. You have to be disciplined about it and don't let other things take over..... so every Friday eve (as an example) from 6pm to 7.30pm do your paperwork then have a take away then your weekend starts.

Helcatt
08-01-2012, 11:45 AM
No advice really, am also behind. I have ended up devoting a day at the weekend to it, in order to catch up, which hubby hates as it encroaches on "our time"

Where I ended up with various variations etc, I became very busy and not all the children will sleep at the same time and some are older and do not sleep, so I can't just do it when they sleep, which is what I did when I first started and the three slept at the same time

We have taken on an assistant, it doesn't increase the numbers we are allowed but what it does mean, is that there are times in the day when I can leave the asst and hubby playing while I supervise and do paperwork

This is the theory anyway, will see what happens next week when she starts with us. Obviously not an option for everyone

Hx

Mouse
08-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Have a close look at your paperwork and see if there is anything you can cut down on. As childminders, a lot of us do way too much paperwork that we really don't need to.
Then, set yourself some time when you will sit and do it. Aim for something like a couple of hours one evening, every other week. stick to that time and don't stress about it the rest of the time :thumbsup:

samkeddy
09-01-2012, 07:53 AM
one of the reasons im so behind is cos technology hates me:(

I spent 2hours last night (hubby too) trying to print off photos and i cant, my printer and laptop were both bought new in sept to make life easier but that hasnt worked.

my printer wont print at all, think its cos i bought cheap cartridges but the proper ones are over £30 a pack!!!:eek:
my laptop wont open any photos from before oct?????? (even though they were there a few weeks ago)
my pogo printer died a while ago!!!!!!!

SO STRESSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry ing:

miffy
09-01-2012, 08:00 AM
one of the reasons im so behind is cos technology hates me:(

I spent 2hours last night (hubby too) trying to print off photos and i cant, my printer and laptop were both bought new in sept to make life easier but that hasnt worked.

my printer wont print at all, think its cos i bought cheap cartridges but the proper ones are over £30 a pack!!!:eek:
my laptop wont open any photos from before oct?????? (even though they were there a few weeks ago)
my pogo printer died a while ago!!!!!!!

SO STRESSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry ing:

I feel your pain! My printer often hates me! :laughing:

I look for deals on-line for photos - Lidl, Boots etc often have good deals on - helps take the stress away.

Miffy xx

rickysmiths
09-01-2012, 09:57 AM
I don't print my photos anymore because there are too many. I look for good deals, Boots are often good and I have a local Kodak shop who is good. I just take the photos in on a memory stick :thumbsup:

Penny1959
09-01-2012, 10:16 AM
OP - I feel for you I am in a similar position - 4 under 5's every day (and I also work evenings and weekends - from 1st - 8th Jan I worked 111 hrs)

I hasve got behind - and also in last 6 months had hard drive failure and dropped and broke 2 camera's - all have been sorted but means I have gaps in my records.

I did do printed photo's in LJ's - and where as I loved the end product before the various technical issues - I now hate them because of the gaps in information / photo's.

So for Christmas each parent received a powerpoint presentation of their child's year in photo's - and some months not many photo's but the end product looked good and the parents loved it.

This year I am doing away with LJ's in a paper format (and cutting down on stuff record) and will be doing children's LJ on power point photo's and text. I have also introduced a new daily recording book for children that stays in setting.

So only one week into year - but very please with all of new ideas - took me 3 hours on Sat morning to update it all (for 6 different children) and was not 3 hours solid as was looking after one mindee and stopped to have coffee with DH.

I hope you find a system that works for you

Penny :)

samkeddy
09-01-2012, 10:33 AM
penny you sound very organised now!! dont think id know where to start with power points lol!!
ive ordered a new pogo printer and new ink for my other printer so hopefully those will come soon and i can catch up

wish id read these posts first tho i might have been better off getting prints online or boots instead of the new pogo oops!!:blush:

EmmaReed84
09-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Last year I worked myself silly and ended up quite poorly with it... I had my inspection in early December so it was stressful getting on top of everything. During the rest of December I just had fun!!

Now it is a new year and a new start, DH and I both have a lot to cram in to our weeks... He works usually until 6pm I work until 5 (7pm on two day) DH has gym, private work and studying to do... I have my own paper work, studying, gym... Not to mention we both have housework and our 2 children as well.

The rules are now the week is for working until 8pm... Once 8pm has arrived we stop (unless at the gym then it is 9pm) so from 5pm-8pm I have my boys who can entertain themselves while I get on top of my paperwork (this week is my accounts :panic:)

The weekend is STRICTLY no work, whatsoever... it is OUR family time so far so good. :thumbsup:

uf353432
09-01-2012, 11:38 AM
You do need to really look at your systems and make them simple but very effective.

My advise for the stuff you are behind on - leave it - start from today and forget about the stuff you've not done. There is little point the observations are not relevant and instead of using a day to catch up - use a day to really look at your systems and how you can make them work better for you.

I have 8 in the early years and the system I use for myself means I am up to date with all obs and planning - BUT its taken 3 years and tweaked many many times to get to this point.

You do need to be methodical and organised - but it can be done. If it helps giving yourself 30 mins at the end of the working day to have a round up - writing up an observation, make a note in your sef, or plan something for this week or next - don't put it off else you may as well not bother writing it up.

Also stop fretting about it all - you KNOW your children and you can tell anyone who asks what the child is into, how you intend to bring them on - you don't always have to write it down - you can just 'know' and as long as you can confidently articulate what you know when asked - this is just as good.

VeggieSausage
09-01-2012, 01:17 PM
the new NCMA journal combines the daily diary with the learning journey - what about using something like that?.....also I have started to use the childrens free play time to catch up, I do all my paperwork within the working day now, I can sit in the room with the kids and catch up with my accounts one day, LJS another day, risk assessments etc......do a quick catch up and then cut back and do a little a day and stay on top......easier said than done I know!!!