PDA

View Full Version : New child starting coming from existing childminder

MargoLeadbetter
08-01-2012, 12:11 AM
Hi all,

I am a new childminder who currently only has an older child for two hours a day. Soon I have an 18 month old starting with me whose current childminder is leaving childminding. She is a lovely kid and my first under 5 minded child. Do I need to ask her parents for anything from her existing childminder? I need to know what the child is capable of and has already learned etc, but hopefully the parents can fill me in. I am panicking a bit about the paperwork and wish there was a list of everything I definitely needed to do as I'm worried I'll miss something out.

Thank you :panic:

sarah707
08-01-2012, 10:09 AM
The previous childminder should have done a Learning Journey file for the child which you can ask to see... some parents like you to continue using the same book so there is continuity.

If not, you will have to work with information parents give you and do your own assessments as you would if the child had not been to a childminder before.

Hth :D

karensmart4
08-01-2012, 11:15 AM
I would ask to see the LJ from previous minder, although you don't always get it, and as Sarah said, you might carry that one on..... I would also ask Mum to complete an 'All About Me' information sheet/booklet so that you get up to date information.