PDA

View Full Version : Poisonous plant

welshgirl
07-01-2012, 08:32 PM
I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I have a beautiful Wisteria in the garden which is classed as a poisonous plant. When I had my first inspection we had only just moved in and I was not aware it was a Wisteria. Now I am due my second inspection. I have Risk Assessed the Wisteria and noted that it is poisionous, so to minimise the risk I have cut back the branches so that little ones can not reach them, any fallen leaves are cleared, and children are taught about how to handle plants safely and that no plants should be put in their mouths etc. But I am panicing that Ofsted will not like it being there and I will get graded unsatisfactory. I don't want to cut it down as it is stunning in summer, and my DH is adimant that it is not going to be cut down. I don't know what to do. Any advise would be appreciated.

sarah707
07-01-2012, 08:42 PM
I suppose it depends on whether you get an inspector who knows her plants! :laughing:

Friends have been given actions and lower grades for having ivy in the garden where children can reach it.

Could you perhaps compromise with your partner and move it to the front garden? It might help to put your mind at rest.

hth :D

PixiePetal
07-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Isn't it just the seeds that are poisonous? If that's right I would RA to keep away/educate and supervise children

welshgirl
07-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Unfortunately it can't be moved as it climbes and twists up a wooden structure over the patio. The leaves and flowers grow accross the patio above head hight. I have researched it, but different websites say different things as to which parts are poisionous. It says that it might cause vomiting, but have been trying to find out exactly how much would need to be consumed to make a person sick, but cant find this info. I always cut the seeds off during the summer before they fall off to be on the safe side.

SYLVIA
07-01-2012, 09:20 PM
I have had a few inspections now but have never been pulled up over my wisteria. Last inspector pointed out some ivy on the back fence though. Go to a garden centre and ask for advice on how poisonous it is, they are generally knowledgeable and helpful

Jiorjiina
08-01-2012, 05:12 PM
The seeds, flowers and bark of wisteria are all poisonous, but as long as you have done a risk assessment and taken it into account and said how you deal with, I don't see how Ofsted can grade you as unsatisfactory.

We have foxgloves in our garden (which my mother is adamant about keeping), which are also poisonous and when I checked with my pre-reg inspector she said as long as I had a proper risk assessment covering them then it was fine.

christine e
08-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Buttercups are poisonous but they are everywhere - I think the thing is to educate children not to put in their mouths - most children I know pick buttercups and put them under each others chins and ask 'do you like butter'

Cx

http://www.workboxdirect.co.uk/blog/index.php/2009/07/10-of-the-most-poisonous-flowers-in-the-world/

PixiePetal
08-01-2012, 07:34 PM
The seeds, flowers and bark of wisteria are all poisonous, but as long as you have done a risk assessment and taken it into account and said how you deal with, I don't see how Ofsted can grade you as unsatisfactory.

We have foxgloves in our garden (which my mother is adamant about keeping), which are also poisonous and when I checked with my pre-reg inspector she said as long as I had a proper risk assessment covering them then it was fine.

we have a few foxgloves too -MIL put them in when she lived in this house and DH will not let me get rid of them, nor will I be told to. I have them named on my RA and remove them once we haver a few seeds dropped to continue the strain.

There's a bit of ivy on the shed - can't get rid even if I want to - it just keeps coming back! has been there for decades and I use it for indoor decs at Christmas.

Got holly in various places :rolleyes: find that harder but cut it back a bit

loocyloo
08-01-2012, 07:36 PM
i had a snowberry in my last garden .. HUGE and impossible to remove!

i supervised and the children were taught to never touch/pick berries etc. it was fine. i mentioned it in my RA, but it was never commented on by anyone!

green puppy
08-01-2012, 08:16 PM
I agree with the others, if you have your risk assessment and have put safety measures in place then I don't see the problem. I think it is much better to teach children as you never know when they will come across things in another situation without you or someone that knows the risks.

TooEarlyForGin?
08-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Agree with the others.

My property has a hedge down one side, which is full of ivy. there is now way I could remove it. As long as you are aware of it and risk assess, it shouldn't be a problem, children are always supervised in the garden anyway, so no more risk than a nature walk/visit to the local park, where there are hundreds of possible poisonous plants/fungi. As someone else has pointed out, its a good educational link to teach children not to put things in their mouths.

primula
08-01-2012, 09:02 PM
just take a look in any park and you will see privet and ivy both poisonous! so many plants are poisonous, its just about supervision really. I have wisteria (in the front garden) it is a show stopper and the talk of the neighbourhood whern in flower!!

welshgirl
08-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks for your replies everyone. You have made me feel much better. The Wisteria stays (not that DH would of let me get rid of it anyway). It is in my Risk Assessment, so hopefully Mrs O will be ok with this.