PDA

View Full Version : what biscuits do you offer?

jadavi
07-01-2012, 05:54 PM
My mindeesare increasingly unimpressed by the rich tea or even malted milk I'm offering these days...are other people giving better ones?? Reluctant to get too sugary and junky.....

mushpea
07-01-2012, 06:02 PM
non, zero, nadder,,, mainly because if i buy or bake them the OH eats them and he really dont need them and partly because I refuse to fuel them with addatives etc when there is plenty of other options such as fruit/veg sticks/toast with butter or cheese spread/crumpets/fruit loaf.

Goatgirl
07-01-2012, 06:05 PM
They should think themselves lucky. I don't let mindees have any 'treat foods' and if parents send them in lunch boxes etc, they just go home again :D

The only exception is for a special treat e.g. a birthday, leaving, christmas party etc or if we have made them ourselves. Remind them how lucky they are and if they keep whining you won't bother ;)

best wishes,
Wendy :)

Mouse
07-01-2012, 06:09 PM
My mindees have a biscuit at morning snack...and shock, horror, sometimes 2! They eat very well throughout the rest of the day and I refuse to feel bad about giving them a biscuit or 2.

They will have custard creams, malted milk, nice biscuits etc, but never anything with chocolate...it's too messy :laughing:

amanda1309
07-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Custard creams or rich tea.:)

Monkey26
07-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Rich tea, custard cream, malted milk or ginger biscuit after fruit in the afternoon... I don't feel bad, they have lots of fruit and veg throughout the day and it's not every day we have a biscuit anyways! They are really into toasted crumpets at the moment due the cold weather ;) xx

PixiePetal
07-01-2012, 06:26 PM
My mindees have a biscuit at morning snack...and shock, horror, sometimes 2! They eat very well throughout the rest of the day and I refuse to feel bad about giving them a biscuit or 2.

They will have custard creams, malted milk, nice biscuits etc, but never anything with chocolate...it's too messy :laughing:

me too! I used to not but have decided as long as they eat well at meal times there is nothing wrong with it. They have fruit snacks too of course. Just like at home. I find children who never have any are the ones who become obsessed with them. Would not if parent requested :)

Katiekoo
07-01-2012, 06:28 PM
I like to give them biscuits it's important that they get some some carbs. I vary the biscuits I offer, but they are always plain ones specifically for kids and have little to no sugar or flavourings. I recently bought a giant wholesale bulk tub of vanilla whinnie the pooh biscuits that are really small, the kids like them, they v.reasonably priced and they're in fun shapes!

blue bear
07-01-2012, 06:40 PM
I never think of buying biscuits, I suppose it's because I don't like them. Mine like crumpets, hot cross buns, crackers, toast, scones as well as Humous, fruit veg etc. Can't remember any children asking for biscuits either, they sometimes get one at toddlers.

AliceK
07-01-2012, 06:41 PM
The LO's have plain biscuits, Digestives, Rich Tea, Malted Milk etc. The older schoolies can have whatever I've got in, they usually choose Bourbons or Choc Chip Cookies. Everything in moderation is my thinking.

xxxx

Dragonfly
07-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Mine have what ever we have in.Im all for every thing in moderation too.

onceinabluemoon
07-01-2012, 07:03 PM
I don't buy biscuits so usually they don't have any, but sometimes I make biscuits and then they have whatever I make, usually oatcakes or digestives etc.

If they are moaning don't buy anything for a few weeks, they'll soon be glad to have good old rich tea back again. ;)

Velleity
07-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Sometimes they get a Mikado, if they're lucky :)

I don't generally buy biscuits though.

At Christmas I had a huge box of really nice chocolate biscuits and I gave one to my two year old mindee after Lunch. He spent the next three hours gazing up at the cupboard I'd put them in and no activity could distract him looking and pointing. Luckily he'd forgotten about them by the next session!

Velleity
07-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Oh .. also, in our Health Food Store I found some called 'Itsy Bitsy Bears' which mine all love, so I buy them sometimes, when I go in there. They're made from brown rice and are gluten, dairy, egg and nut free so great for allergy sufferers too.

QualityCare
07-01-2012, 07:14 PM
I don't offer biscuits but if we are in town or at the park and l have coffee the children will share a cookie or packet of biscuits (the small packs with 3 in). sometimes in the afternoons they will have toast especially if my OH or DS comes in and makes some for themselves.

kellib
07-01-2012, 07:20 PM
I have 3 one year old's and just now they are happy with fruit and rice cakes for snacks but sometimes if they time it right my son will give them a mini jaffa cake :laughing:

ajs
07-01-2012, 07:22 PM
The LO's have plain biscuits, Digestives, Rich Tea, Malted Milk etc. The older schoolies can have whatever I've got in, they usually choose Bourbons or Choc Chip Cookies. Everything in moderation is my thinking.

xxxx

I try not to have biscuits in because I eat them, but I cannot see the problem with mindees having a biscuit even very day. All of mine (ex) had a healthy diet and loads of fruit and veg so one or two biscuits was not going to do them any harm at all.
On my menu plan that the inspector saw it showed that snacks were sometimes biscuits and the inspector never said a word. And shock horror I even used to let them have a pack of crisps to share too

WibbleWobble
07-01-2012, 07:22 PM
we always have digestive biscuits in the house....they are vital to help katie with her hypos....she has to take a couple with her everywhere.

sometimes i give the Los a plain digestive as a treat...they call them "katies biscuits" and they live in a london bus tin.....we always have to sing the song wheels on the bus.

mandy xx

AliceK
07-01-2012, 07:47 PM
I try not to have biscuits in because I eat them, but I cannot see the problem with mindees having a biscuit even very day. All of mine (ex) had a healthy diet and loads of fruit and veg so one or two biscuits was not going to do them any harm at all.
On my menu plan that the inspector saw it showed that snacks were sometimes biscuits and the inspector never said a word. And shock horror I even used to let them have a pack of crisps to share too

On my inspection I had made a placemat with a mindee who was a very fussy eater. We had lists of breakfast foods, lunch foods and tea foods plus a column with treats listed. I explained that mindee was trying foods from the lists and also getting something from the treat list. She was really impressed with this :thumbsup:
Children need to have some treats and as long as their overall diet is balanced and varied it does no harm.

xxxx

mushpea
07-01-2012, 08:04 PM
ok let me clarify my previous post,, I do not have a problem with children , mine or mindees, having biscuits,, the reason I dont give them is because I know that all but one of my mindees dont have a healthy diet at home and that they go home and eat rubbish then those parents complain their child is hyper,, I have on child come each day and i have to dilute her cup of juice by pouring 3/4 out and putting water in because it is that strong it makes me gag, mum cant understand why she is so loopy:rolleyes:, I have another parent who admited getting told of by the HV because all he snacks on is biscuits at home then he wont eat his lunch or evening meal.
so my thinking is if i can give them somthing healthy at mine then I feel happy knowing they have had a resonable healthy diet whilst with me.
I also have a son with ADHD who is affected by stuff like biscuits so I dont buy them.
there is nothing wrong with biscuits when eaten sensibly,, every thing in moderation and yes my kids and the one mindee do have treats when the others arent here.
I am not some major health freak lol

PixiePetal
07-01-2012, 08:52 PM
ok let me clarify my previous post,, I do not have a problem with children , mine or mindees, having biscuits,, the reason I dont give them is because I know that all but one of my mindees dont have a healthy diet at home and that they go home and eat rubbish then those parents complain their child is hyper,, I have on child come each day and i have to dilute her cup of juice by pouring 3/4 out and putting water in because it is that strong it makes me gag, mum cant understand why she is so loopy:rolleyes:, I have another parent who admited getting told of by the HV because all he snacks on is biscuits at home then he wont eat his lunch or evening meal.
so my thinking is if i can give them somthing healthy at mine then I feel happy knowing they have had a resonable healthy diet whilst with me.
I also have a son with ADHD who is affected by stuff like biscuits so I dont buy them.
there is nothing wrong with biscuits when eaten sensibly,, every thing in moderation and yes my kids and the one mindee do have treats when the others arent here.
I am not some major health freak lol

as I said in my post, my mindees have healthy mixed diets so no worries there. If I thought their diet was otherwise bad I would encourage the fruit etc instead, so stick with it.

I try and see food as a daily or weekly intake and hope it works out balanced and varied as much as possible overall

The Juggler
07-01-2012, 10:53 PM
i don't as a rule give biscuits. I used to give a small one after tea and fruit as a treat.

If we are at toddlers, they will have a biscuit or if we bake, then they will have one of those. Otherwise, we have fruit and yoghurts.

Special occasionss, xmas, birthdays, cakes, cookies and gingerbread might be on offer but it's a rare occasions. My kids and my mindees all have their biccies after school/at home so I know they won't miss out if I don't offer them biscuits too.:)

janminder
07-01-2012, 11:22 PM
My mindees after they have had their fruit snack can have three days a week 2 biscuits which are from a selection eg custard creams, pink wafers, rich tea, party rings, one day it is choice from breadsticks, cheese twists, melba toast and the other day a small cake. I had this written under my menu and the Ofsted inspector didnt say anything.

watgem
08-01-2012, 11:29 AM
mine have digestives, organix ginger bread men, baby cookies or heinz biscotti(even the big ones like all of these)also shortbread especially if we make it ourselves. They also love the little rice cakes made by organix or hipp, especially the apple or blackcurrant ones, they think they are eating biscuits

loocyloo
08-01-2012, 12:10 PM
i tend not to buy biscuits, but usually make some most weeks, just simple plain biscuits, sometimes with cinnamon/lemon/mixed spice/ginger/orange/chocolate in. sometimes make choc chip cookies, and also have a recipe for an oaty cookie they love.
i've just bought cutters from iceland to make smily face biscuits !!! can't wait to try them :D

i was just thinking that we don't have biscuits at any of the groups we go to either! all just fruit or toast!

mr man
08-01-2012, 02:54 PM

im with you here. , as mentioned on meeting parents its a home from home place here. biscuits at home - biscuits here.

we all eat very healthy and very well. i have no concerns about a healthy diet. its nicely balanced.

im all for healthy eating obviously but i be a hipocrite (sp?) by not letting them have a biscuit when i lke one woht my cuppa.

kids got to live - and i find if you keep things from them saying a big fat NO. then theyre only going to rebel.
i have parents who said no to juice. only water. there children where so miserable with the others having juice. ( may i add they had juice and coke at home :rolleyes:) so i had a word and sorted it. all happy now.

i may start another thread now you got me thinking???

biscuits here are a variety - mainly malted milk, tea fingers or cookies.

mrs coops
08-01-2012, 05:54 PM
i tend not to buy biscuits, but usually make some most weeks, just simple plain biscuits, sometimes with cinnamon/lemon/mixed spice/ginger/orange/chocolate in. sometimes make choc chip cookies, and also have a recipe for an oaty cookie they love.
i've just bought cutters from iceland to make smily face biscuits !!! can't wait to try them :D

i was just thinking that we don't have biscuits at any of the groups we go to either! all just fruit or toast!

Would you mind sharing your oaty cookie recipe please? been trying to find some biscuit recipes but they all look so complicated for the little ones x