PDA

View Full Version : loose parts play RA help please

mushpea
07-01-2012, 03:39 PM
those of you that have 'loose parts' in your garden for the children to play with such as pepples, sticks, wood blocks, pipes, guttering etc how do you risk assess this play? I am thinking of writing the following but does it sound ok? would this be acceptable to ofsted do you think?

'Loose parts play
In my garden I have several ‘loose parts’ for the children to play with such as…..( list of current items). I feel it is important and benifical to children to have these items to play with as I feel it will develop their imagination, physical development, problem solving skills, sense of acceptable risk and helps them learn to help and work with each other. It also helps them to develop their own instincts ideas and intersts and builds their confidence.
Whilst using these items risk assesments are on going through the play both by myself and the children involved, children are supervised according to their age and stage of development so for example children who are young or less able are closely supervised whilst children who are older or more able are supervised from a distance.
Children are taught rules for playing with the loose parts such as don’t throw sand/stones, towers must not be higher than your shoulders, no swinging pipes round etc, they are taught what is safe and what is not through my guidance . If children do not follow the rules or listen to my guidance then they are not allowed to play with this equipment until such time I feel they are ready to come back and listen to my guidance and follow the rules.'
I would appriciate oppions please folks

sarah707
07-01-2012, 04:33 PM
That sounds fine as far as it goes... I'd also consider adding something to the children's files talking about how you feel the play will benefit them depending on their age and stage of development and what you have in place to support each of them to use the resources appropriately etc.

Also what will happen to the resources when you are not in the garden? will they be put away? What if a little one gets to them or wants to join in? How will you keep everyone safe? ... those sorts of things.

hth :D

mushpea
07-01-2012, 05:08 PM
some good ideas thanks, like the idea of putting somthing in their files,, stuff is mainly left out during the day but they dont go in the garden without me knowing anyway but I will add in somthing just to keep the big O happy:rolleyes:

Penny1959
07-01-2012, 05:16 PM
I do offer loose parts play and heuristic play both indoors and outdoors. I do not have a specific RA for each type of play.

I just have a general RA which says that each child will be supervised at all times as appropriate to their stage of development.

I note in my diary if I have to stop using a particular item for a period of time in order to maintain the children's safety - for example one child started throwing the ceramic discs around - so they were removed due to high risk of injury to children or belongings. Once the child had stopped throwing and understood why should not play the ceramic disc were reintroduced.

I don't personally believe that detailed Ra's protect the children - but I do believe that effective practice does.

By recording the actions I take I provide the evidence that I maintain the children's safety.

I had this RA in place when I was inspected and I had out heuristic play - so I think it fair to say that my inspector was happy with what I did and my RA.

Of course all inspectors are not the same and all childminders are different in their views about what is needed - however a lot of it is having confidence in what you do and how it is effective.

Penny :)

singingcactus
07-01-2012, 06:47 PM
I do offer loose parts play and heuristic play both indoors and outdoors. I do not have a specific RA for each type of play.

I just have a general RA which says that each child will be supervised at all times as appropriate to their stage of development.

I note in my diary if I have to stop using a particular item for a period of time in order to maintain the children's safety - for example one child started throwing the ceramic discs around - so they were removed due to high risk of injury to children or belongings. Once the child had stopped throwing and understood why should not play the ceramic disc were reintroduced.

I don't personally believe that detailed Ra's protect the children - but I do believe that effective practice does.

By recording the actions I take I provide the evidence that I maintain the children's safety.

I had this RA in place when I was inspected and I had out heuristic play - so I think it fair to say that my inspector was happy with what I did and my RA.

Of course all inspectors are not the same and all childminders are different in their views about what is needed - however a lot of it is having confidence in what you do and how it is effective.

Penny :)

I have very similar risk assessments to Penny's in place too (I have looked at Penny's and although the format differs the content is basically the same) and OFSTED lady was more than happy with them. She commented on how much she liked them, and we too had lots of loose parts play out while she was here - in fact we had no toys out at all just loose parts and stuff and things :D both inside and outside.