PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

JennyM
07-01-2012, 11:41 AM
I have posted this elsewhere but I could really do with some advice so I thought I would start a new thread.

One of my mindee's Mum's has asked me to change our contract. Her daughter is with me after school Tuesday-Friday during term time and full time in the holidays.

The way I do it is, I get four weeks holiday a year, charged at half rate and Parents get four weeks holiday a year charged at half rate. If I was to take more than four weeks I would not charge anything and if parents were to take more than four weeks they would pay me full rate.

The problem is, when we signed the contract, she mentioned that her daughter often goes to music camps in the holidays and wondered if there would be any allowances and I said a day here and there would be ok and we would discuss it as and when. However, I did not mean two or three weeks extra holiday for free.

In the contract we put 'any other holidays to be discussed as and when'. I know I made a mistake doing this and in future EVERYTHING will be written down clearly, this was one of my first clients. However, I really do feel she is taking liberties.

We discussed it yesterday and weren't really getting anywhere so I asked her to Email me exactly what it is she wants and I would get back to her. So she has Emailed and basically wants three weeks extra holiday a year for no payment at all.

She has basically hinted that she may have to look elsewhere if I won't do it.

Now, she is probably moving her daughter to a new school in September so it may be that I won't even be looking after her after August anyway but I am also really annoyed that she expects me to take three weeks unpaid a year.

I am tempted to tell her to stick it but I do need her as a client. Help! What would you do?

karensmart4
07-01-2012, 11:53 AM
We all try and fit around parents needs when we first start off and we learn as we go along :)

I think what I would reply to her is;

'After reading your email and giving everything very careful consideration, I would suggest that we change our contract to: Term Time only.
If you would like any childcare during the school holiday's then feel free to ask if I have any available space and we could make an 'adhoc' arrangement @ £.... per hr.

Wendybird
07-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Is she likely to find someone else who is happy to take daughter on those terms? No nursery would do it. If it were me I'd stick to my contract - give her 4 days or something so that you are complying with your contract. But I am stubborn like that. If you are reliant on the money maybe accept her terms and start advertising the space to replace her before she takes the time off. She isn't willing to work with you and isn't commited to you, I wouldn't be commited to her. :mad: Or, you could move her to a term-time only contract, if she wants other days during holidays you can charge an enhanced rate payable on booking. Then she takes her chances if you are available or not and you make up some of the money with the enhanced rate. Depends on whether holiday care is in demand in your area though and puts the fiancial risk on you.

Pipsqueak
07-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Your business your rules.

We live and learn as well!.

As Karen says - the best I would be able to offer is a term time only contract and she has a choice of paying a retainer during the holidays for x amount of days per week (specific days) or she takes her chances that you will have a space and pay an enhanced an ad hoc rate - or stay exactly as you are

i would explain to her that its her choice to use your services, her choice to send her child to clubs - however you are running a business and cannot loose money and have finances dipping up and down .

tashaleee
07-01-2012, 12:24 PM
I would charge a higher rate for term time only... and then offer her an 'ad hoc' contract for school holidays.

If she books ad hoc places you need to ensure you have them booked in advance and if she cancels she still needs to pay :thumbsup:

JennyM
07-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Thank you so much everyone. It really helps that you all understand where I am coming from. Sometimes you start to doubt yourself don't you when Parents ask for ridiculous things like this. I definitely live and learn from all of this.

How would she feel if she went to work on Monday and her Boss said 'I want to take on a freelance worker to take over your job for three weeks in the summer but I can't afford to pay you both so you will have to take the three weeks off unpaid.' This is basically what she is asking me to do. :angry:

Thank you for your input and ideas. I will have a think about it and decide what to do. I am too angry to reply to her at the moment.

My husband has taken our children out for the day so that I can catch up on my paperwork and this is just taking up all of my headspace!

rosebud
07-01-2012, 01:14 PM
I would probably try to compromise and ask for half pay. By your contracted terms she should be paying full price and she is asking you to do it for nothing so this seems like a fair compromise to me. As you said you made a mistake on the initial contract so for THIS parent on THIS occasion I would make an exception but do review your contract and amend it accordingly for the future. If she won't accept the compromise then I would let her look elsewhere.

miffy
07-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Your business your rules.

We live and learn as well!.

As Karen says - the best I would be able to offer is a term time only contract and she has a choice of paying a retainer during the holidays for x amount of days per week (specific days) or she takes her chances that you will have a space and pay an enhanced an ad hoc rate - or stay exactly as you are

i would explain to her that its her choice to use your services, her choice to send her child to clubs - however you are running a business and cannot loose money and have finances dipping up and down .

I agree with Pip. I wouldn't be prepared to give her another 3 weeks off for no pay.
That isn't fair on you and it wouldn't be fair to other parents who pay for their holidays - don't forget they do talk to one another.

Whatever compromise you offer make sure you are happy with it or you will resent it and make sure parent knows that it is the only compromise you will be making - some parents really push it if they think you will do deals :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

~Chelle~
07-01-2012, 04:00 PM
I would tell her to get real and basically wish her well in finding someone that would offer what she wants, because she wont find anyone who will offer that!

Don't let her have the upper hand. I would explain it the way you did here, how would she like going into work and being told that she wasn't going to get paid for 3 weeks and there was nothing she could do about it.

She is blackmailing you in a "do as I say or I will go elsewhere" kind of way.

If you give in to her now, she will expect more and more.

Good luck x

JennyM
07-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Thanks again everyone.

I have decided to offer to let her change to a term time only contract and then book me for holidays on an ad hoc basis. Really I will still be losing out if I can't fill the other weeks but I feel that I haven't let her walk over me if I do it this way.

My question is if she is term time only, does she still get four weeks holiday (half rate) and can I take four weeks holiday (half rate) or do I have to work it out pro rata?

Happy Bunny
07-01-2012, 07:57 PM
I have a term-time only contract with Adhoc in the holidays, with regards to time off I say If holiday is taken during term-time then full pay will be required.
I don't charge for my holiday though.

kellib
07-01-2012, 07:58 PM
I have a term time contract with one parent but we agreed if she needs me in the holidays and I can do it then I would just charge her as normal.

karensmart4
08-01-2012, 10:39 AM
My 'term time only' contracts state that any holiday taken during term time is charged at 1/2 rate on both sides to a maximum of 4 weeks per year also on both sides. (she shouldn't be taking holiday off in term time really). Any days off sick are charged at full rate.

Mouse
08-01-2012, 10:54 AM
I have a term-time only contract with Adhoc in the holidays, with regards to time off I say If holiday is taken during term-time then full pay will be required.
I don't charge for my holiday though.

That's what I do. I am also very specific about what the term time dates are and what happens if an inset day or bank holiday falls within the term.

I also have a rule that all ad hoc holiday care has to be booked and paid for at least 4 weeks in advance. Once booked and paid for, I will not refund any money if the child then doesn't attend for any reason. This stops parents saying they want you all through the hols, then turning round at the last minute and saying they've changed their mind and don't actually need you.