PDA

View Full Version : OMG!

kellsbells
20-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi I have just started child minding this week and am trying to get my head around tax/insurance/accounts etc I'm sure once I have sat down looked through it all it will get better, but my head is spinning just thinking of of it all!

I'm literally on my 2nd day, So I'm thinking before things start to get out of hand who am I supposed to call and tell I'm now self employed the HMR? When I rang them before to advise them I am now a self employed child minder they advised me that I should wait till I had 3 months acoounts before declaring anything, But then won't that mean that I will have 3 months worth of bills to catch up on? As I have to advise people of my new income and waiting 3 months....Perhaps i'm just being stupid but I thought I would ask for some help please :eek:

xxxx

katickles
20-05-2008, 12:57 PM
The 3 month thing means that you must inform them within 3 months of starting working for yourself. You can start your accounts & keep them upto date as you go.

I keep mine upto date by keeping on top of them weekly. :)

sarah707
20-05-2008, 12:59 PM
The reason they advise you to wait before informing them is to give yourself a chance to get some business before coming off benefits etc...

Still keep a daily / weekly / monthly record of all your accounts - you will need them for next April and it's not good to get behind or April becomes a nightmare! :panic:

Jinx
20-05-2008, 01:01 PM
You need to ring the Newly Self-employed Helpline on 0845 915 4515 within 3 months of starting you business. They will tell you what you need to do next.

:thumbsup:

Jinx x

scottie
20-05-2008, 01:03 PM
HMR is the place to start you need to tell them your now working also NI and let them know

your accounts i don't know what sort of accounts book you are using but i do my weekly as i find it save all getting too much

hope you enjoy childminding :thumbsup:

kellsbells
20-05-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm using NCMA account books (well I have them, so I'm assuming it's prob best to use them lol) Thank you all for your quick replies I shall update the accounts weekly as I have been noting down what has been paid and to be paid etc....Contacting NI is that different to HMR then? how would I get in contact with them....Sorry to be such a numb nut! :eek:

katickles
20-05-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm using NCMA account books (well I have them, so I'm assuming it's prob best to use them lol) Thank you all for your quick replies I shall update the accounts weekly as I have been noting down what has been paid and to be paid etc....Contacting NI is that different to HMR then? how would I get in contact with them....Sorry to be such a numb nut! :eek:

I use NCMA - really really easy :thumbsup:

Pauline
20-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Contacting NI is that different to HMR then? how would I get in contact with them....Sorry to be such a numb nut! :eek:

It is still to do with revenue but different departments - this might help:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/individuals/tmanational-insurance.shtml

deeb66
20-05-2008, 04:19 PM

One of the ladies that I Support told me that they asked her if she was going to pay NI when she registered with HMRC over the phone

kellsbells
20-05-2008, 06:48 PM
ooo thank you so much! I don't know what I would of done if it wasn't for all your help and advice since my pre-reg!

xxxxxxxxxxx :laughing: