PDA

View Full Version : Late collections.

SimplyLucy
20-05-2008, 12:47 PM
:angry: Need a bit of advice..............

I have a full timer who is being collected late on some days.

On a monday I have him from 7.30am - 5.15pm, as I only charge by the half hour I charge this day at 10 hours. My problem is that he is being collected closer and closer to 5.30pm.

Yesterday I booked a vets appointment for 5.45pm thinking I'd have tonnes of time to get there, but mindee wasn't collected until 5.30pm. By this time I had the dog in the car, child and bags on the doorstep waiting whilst my partner was inside with my children (he was looking after them whilst I went to the vets.)

The mum arrived, did the "oh sorry I'm late" I handed child over and jumped in my car and drove off before she had even gotten back to her car! I think I made it quite obvious that I wasn't impressed!

Ok now my real problem is that fact that because I'm technically charging her until 5.30pm anyhow I can't charge her any extra for being late so she is getting away with it.:angry:

Pipsqueak
20-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Change your policy (fees/being on time)!!!:D

I would speak to her and just ask if she needs to change her contracted times. Just explain that sometimes you need to get away promptly and have noticed she is coming later and later some days. There might be a genuine reason for her being late (I am feeling quite chilled and generous today!! lol).

It is annoying when they say they will be there at xxx time and turn up 10mins later:angry:

katickles
20-05-2008, 12:51 PM
I might be compleatly wrong here & may not be giving the answer you want - but if they are being charged until 5:30 - they are entiltled to pick up the child at 5:30.:o

Like i said - sorry if you don't agree but thats how i would see it if it was one of my mindees.

SimplyLucy
20-05-2008, 12:53 PM
The child is only contracted until 5.15pm, the parent knew at the time that I charge half hourly (after the first 2 full hours).

berkschick
20-05-2008, 12:56 PM
I have a similar thing with one of my mindees but I look at it that as I charge them until 5.30pm, then I have to have the space available to them until 5.30pm.

Sorry if its not what you wanted to hear!

Maybe have a chat with her and ask if she wants to change the contracted time. Im sure as she is charged till 5.30 pm anyway that she will have no problem in changing it. At least you would know where you stood then.

jaja
20-05-2008, 12:59 PM
I had this problem, child arrived at 8 but was contracted at 730am she was supposed to be collected at 6 but it was pushing on for 615 630 before they had been and gone, i had words (nice ones first) and dad was really off with me saying that i got an extra time off in am so why am i complaining when i had finished he agreed that yes he would collect on time from now on. I think some parents forget that we are not just here for them and their needs.

However, in your case i would ask the parent if they need longer or are they delaying picking up due to paying u anyway, I personally only charge by every 15 min to avoid the "i am paying so i will use" situation which doesnt always help anyone. Talk to the parent and be straight with them and see what happens

good luck

xxxx

katickles
20-05-2008, 01:00 PM
The child is only contracted until 5.15pm, the parent knew at the time that I charge half hourly (after the first 2 full hours).

Why not speak to the mum then - see if she still wants to be contracted until 5:15 or as she's now collecting later would she like the hours changed?

At least this way - she'll either change the hours & you can then impliment a late collection fee or she'll think that she best get her bum into gear & collect by 5:15.

:)

SimplyLucy
20-05-2008, 01:03 PM
I suggested when he started that she should just book him in till 5.30pm as she'd be paying it anyhow, but she insisted 5.15pm............hey ho, I just won't be so stuid to book an appointment thinking a child will be collected on time again....:rolleyes:

Trouble
20-05-2008, 01:03 PM
im horrible i dont do 1/2 hour rates and i charge a later payment fee dont like it but never late unless their minted

squiggle
20-05-2008, 02:42 PM
i have a lo 7.30 till 5, 3 days a week.

mum and dad were useless at time keeping when i first started having him but now they have learnt that i charge.

£3 for every fifteen minutes late. one night mum rang at 4.55pm and said she had just left work and was an hour late collecting. i charged her £12 and she has never done it again!!

Jen x

Tatia
20-05-2008, 02:59 PM
If they're paying til 5:30 then she's not late, technically. Although I can see why it would be annoying if you expected her at a certain time and she didn't show up. I've got parents who are always bang on time but ***'s law, soon as I plan an evening based on that, they end up late!:rolleyes:

SimplyLucy
20-05-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm sure parents can read my mind!

She has just rung and wants to change the hours on a Monday to 7.15am-5.15pm............typical!

Thats 10 hours bang on now, so if she is late I'll be able to charge it!

I did explain that her child will need to be collected on time as sometimes I have things planned for after work. Also told her that a quick phone call would be handy if she is running late, just to give me an idea........ I'm very proud of myself for being brave, normally I let parents carry on and walk over me then I pick up the pieces after!

katickles
20-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Thats better then, like you say, you can start implimenting the late collection charge now. I bet she's not late anymore! :)

Glad you got it sorted btw

Trouble
20-05-2008, 05:39 PM
well done to

you have to be hard sometimes they wouldnt like it so neither do i:clapping: :clapping:

angeldelight
20-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Glad you seem to have sorted it Lucy

Good luck

Angel xx