PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for reusable wipes?

Mouse
06-01-2012, 10:29 PM
As the title says, has anyone got any recommendations for reuseable wipes?

miss mopple
06-01-2012, 10:30 PM
I would just buy a length of fleece and cut up. I have fleece wipes that have been going strong for 6yrs now :thumbsup:

Mouse
06-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Do you just use water with them?

Happy Bunny
06-01-2012, 11:00 PM
I bought some baby flannels from a pound shop, these work just as well.

Christi
06-01-2012, 11:04 PM
I've only ever used water. Mine are a mix of cut up fleece, weenotions wipes and home made double sided, fleece and terry toweling.

crazyhazy
06-01-2012, 11:06 PM
I've heard good things on another forum I use about cheeky wipes x

Mollymop
06-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Reuseable wipes??? I am lost! lol

TBH though, I wouldn't bother with washing flannels etc - I would just buy normal baby wipes, throw them away and be done with it:)

angeldelight
06-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Reuseable wipes??? I am lost! lol

TBH though, I wouldn't bother with washing flannels etc - I would just buy normal baby wipes, throw them away and be done with it:)

I am lost also

Must be cause its late :laughing:

How can you re-use a wipe ?

Angel xx

ORKSIE
06-01-2012, 11:35 PM
Each child in my setting has there own Coloured flannel.

I wash their flannels every day, therfore each child has a clean flannel every day.

I have 2 flannels per child ( so I dont have to wash them every day)

1 flannel per day :thumbsup:

ORKSIE
06-01-2012, 11:38 PM
I think i said every day too many times LMAO xx

angeldelight
06-01-2012, 11:43 PM
I think i said every day too many times LMAO xx

:laughing::laughing:

Like I said its late ha ha

Angel xx

Mouse
06-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Each child in my setting has there own Coloured flannel.

I wash their flannels every day, therfore each child has a clean flannel every day.

I have 2 flannels per child ( so I dont have to wash them every day)

1 flannel per day :thumbsup:

I have flannels for hands & faces, but I'm looking for reusable wipes for bottoms!
I've seen good reviews for the Cheeky wipes, but they are expensive.

angeldelight
06-01-2012, 11:45 PM
I have flannels for hands & faces, but I'm looking for reusable wipes for bottoms!

What are reusable wipes ..... I have never heard of them?

Angel xx

ORKSIE
06-01-2012, 11:53 PM
:laughing::laughing:

Like I said its late ha ha

Angel xx

http://bestsmileys.com/yawning/1.gif

You can say that agin Angel
xx

ORKSIE
06-01-2012, 11:56 PM

My parents provide there own wipes for bums, but if i ever need then i use Asda's Little Angels, fragrance free. they are cheap but kind to lil peeps skin :thumbsup:

Mouse
07-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Reusable wipes are cloths that you use, then wash. Along the lines of cloth nappies and cloth sanitary towels.
It saves money in the long run and is better for the environment.

ORKSIE
07-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Reusable wipes are cloths that you use, then wash. Along the lines of cloth nappies and cloth sanitary towels.

I need to google this...Never heard of re usable wipes.....Why dont you use flannels to wipe BTM's then, they can be washed too :)

angeldelight
07-01-2012, 12:09 AM
I need to google this...Never heard of re usable wipes.....Why dont you use flannels to wipe BTM's then, they can be washed :)

I am the same

Do you mean you want nappies that you can wash?

We use flannels and then wash them ....is that what you mean ?

Are we just dumb

Angel xx

Mouse
07-01-2012, 12:14 AM
I need to google this...Never heard of re usable wipes.....Why dont you use flannels to wipe BTM's then, they can be washed too :)

I suppose I could cut up flannels as a whole one would be a bit big.

Mouse
07-01-2012, 12:17 AM
I am the same

Do you mean you want nappies that you can wash?

We use flannels and then wash them ....is that what you mean ?

Are we just dumb

Angel xx

You use them instead of baby wipes. You can dampen then with water or a solution of water and baby bath or essential oil. You either keep the solution in a spray bottle and spray it on as needed, or make up a solution in a tub and put the wipes in it until they're needed.

angeldelight
07-01-2012, 12:35 AM
You use them instead of baby wipes. You can dampen then with water or a solution of water and baby bath or essential oil. You either keep the solution in a spray bottle and spray it on as needed, or make up a solution in a tub and put the wipes in it until they're needed.

Ahhh I see what you mean

You learn something new every day :laughing:

It sounds a good idea though but would they work out expensive?

Angel xx

onceinabluemoon
07-01-2012, 07:37 AM
I use Cheeky Wipes, I've had them for ages (about 8-12 months I think) and they are fab! They did cost a bit to begin with (about £25 if I remember right) but at £2.50 a pack for pampers wipes, ten packs later and they are paid for and as my lovely mindees like to shred the pampers wipes out the packet and throw them all over the floor, that doesn't take long, lol. (I was going through 3 or 4 packs a week!!)

I bought the bamboo ones rather than the terry ones as they are supposed to dry faster and be softer on baby's little bots. I planned to get more but have never needed them. I also use cloth nappies on mindees so the whole thing just goes in the nappy bucket and then in the washing machine with sanitizer etc.

I have heard there are cheaper ones but they don't seem to have such great reviews. I think it may be one of those times when you get what you pay for..

The Juggler
07-01-2012, 09:46 AM
even for pooh's :eek::panic: I'm not goin there.

mummyme
07-01-2012, 09:50 AM
I don't mean to sound as I am probably going to come across but that sounds absolutely disgusting to me!? Correct me if I am wrong but once you have wiped a dirty bottom with one of these wipes, you have to have them hanging around the house until you put them throught the washing machine? I would much rather wipe a bottom, put it in a nappy bag along with the nappy and get it all out to the wheely bin asap? I understand what you are saying about the environment but I will pass on that one.

Tescos value wipes - less than 50p and still kind to bots :D

onceinabluemoon
07-01-2012, 10:02 AM
I don't mean to sound as I am probably going to come across but that sounds absolutely disgusting to me!? Correct me if I am wrong but once you have wiped a dirty bottom with one of these wipes, you have to have them hanging around the house until you put them throught the washing machine? I would much rather wipe a bottom, put it in a nappy bag along with the nappy and get it all out to the wheely bin asap? I understand what you are saying about the environment but I will pass on that one.

ROFL, no I don't have it hanging around the house, i have it in a nappy bucket which is filled with sanitising fluid. Exactly the same as with cloth nappies.

Since the birth of humanity until the early 70s people have been doing it this way and nobody has come to harm. Then in the 70s (I think) came disposable nappies and disposable wipes and now our landfills are full of stuff that will take 300 years or more to degrade... To me it's an easy choice, but I can appreciate your squeamishness :) x

sweets
07-01-2012, 10:05 AM

I have to agree, surely for the wipe to cleaned hygincly enough to be used again then.it would have to be boiled washed which in its self is bad for the enviroment!

Reusable face cloths ok, but bottom wipes is a no no for me!

angeldelight
07-01-2012, 10:14 AM

I agree it does sound disgusting .........

My two sons were born late 70s I had nappies and nappy bucket,I don't think there was disposable nappies till I had my third son?
I had no choice it was what everyone did and no one came to any harm,if your clean and regularly change and clean solution etc.
I hated it though.

If I had a choice I would never go back to that,some things happen and improve for a reason and now looking back I know why :laughing:

Angel xxx

I def would not go back to that way of living,some things happen for the best

Ripeberry
07-01-2012, 11:16 AM
even for pooh's :eek::panic: I'm not goin there.

All sounds too gross for my liking :eek: We might as well keep a pile of fleeces next to the toilet and then chuck it all in a nappy bin and then wash them.
If it's good enought for the kids it's good enought for adults.....:panic:

Mouse
07-01-2012, 11:34 AM
You lot do make me laugh :laughing: :D

It's like using a mooncup or reusable sanitary towels - you need to try it for yourself in order to understand that it's not as yucky as you think.

With reusable wipes most of the poop is wiped off first with the nappy, which you tend to do more thoroughly when you haven't got a pile of wet wipes next to you.

LOOPYLISA
07-01-2012, 12:04 PM
What a funny thread :clapping:

Makes me think of my dd's face wipes she leaves hanging round the bathroom, goodness knows how many times she would use them if i didnt throw them away :laughing:

LOOPYLISA
07-01-2012, 12:04 PM
You lot do make me laugh :laughing: :D

It's like using a mooncup or reusable sanitary towels - you need to try it for yourself in order to understand that it's not as yucky as you think.

With reusable wipes most of the poop is wiped off first with the nappy, which you tend to do more thoroughly when you haven't got a pile of wet wipes next to you.

I googled mooncup, im not sure tbh but like you say you do need to try these things first :thumbsup:

Dragonfly
07-01-2012, 01:09 PM
OOOOH Dont think I could use a mooncup although the idea is brillant and i am quite green. eco nappy bags, eco cleaning products etc.My two older children had terry toweling nappies with a liner and i used cotton wool and water for cleaning bottoms(early eightys) but dont think i would use reusable wipes now but I would admire anyone for doing so.

Mouse
07-01-2012, 01:21 PM
I googled mooncup, im not sure tbh but like you say you do need to try these things first :thumbsup:

I was really sceptical at first, but now I couldn't imagine using anything else. I do actually think it's more hygenic than other products.

Tinglesnark
07-01-2012, 01:36 PM
funnily enough mouse, ive been looking in to these and reuseable nappies this week!
the cheeky wipes seem to be the best option, the kit is about £37 i think? that includes everything you need though.

leeloo1
07-01-2012, 08:12 PM
I used the ones from weenotions.co.uk for my DS - they're fantastic. One side is flannel, the other fleece. 3 years later they're still going strong. I ued washable nappies with him too, so it all got cleaned together - although I only dry-pailed (no buckets of sanitiser). But with modern technology and a decent washing machine with a 60 degree wash everything came out sparkling clean.

It means you aren't putting unnecessary chemicals near your DC's sensitive bottoms - if you've ever used some of those chemical wipes on your face, they really sting! And they can be used to get rid of most stains and also mould! Not good to be on a baby. :(

leeloo1
07-01-2012, 08:16 PM
PS the kits are v expensive for what you get. I had 40 wipes (I think, as washed every 3-4 days) and kept them in one of the pampers wipes pop up boxes I got with a bounty pack. You add 1cm of water and 3-5 drops of lavender oil (naturally anti-bacterial and about £5 for a bottle that lasts about a year + from holland and barrett or ebay), stick a pile of wipes in and you're good to go.

Oh and I can recommend mooncups too! Think how much you save in not buying tampons each month. Much more sanitary and they don't shed horrible fibres inside you. :)

Christi
07-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Cloth wipes are also so much more effective at removing poo than disposable wipes too!

rachelle
07-01-2012, 10:19 PM
I used them on my 2. I had cut up towel and soaked it in cannomile tea with couple of drops of olive oil. kept for as long as in a pampers wipes box. Now though I struggle to keep up with my families washing so not sure about adding wipes into the mix.

NicoleW
07-01-2012, 10:44 PM
RIGHT! I know what I'm ordering monday morning.

Never ever heard of these, tbh I've been looking into cloth nappies as well. Yet my DD is 18 months so not sure if it'll be worth it now but she's been getting really bad cases of nappy rash :(

jellybean cc
07-01-2012, 11:19 PM
So how much washing are you doing? as washing machines are just as bad for the environment. With two children of my own and face flannels i wash enough without adding to the pile.

Can you get bio degradable wet wipes that you throw away that wont fill up rubbish sight forever.

Mouse
07-01-2012, 11:30 PM
During the week I do at least 3 loads of washing a day, with more at the weekend. One dark load, one light load and one towels, bibs, flannels etc. The wipes would fit in with the towel load, so wouldn't cause any extra loads.

I have tried bio degradable wipes, but to be honest, they're not very good. I find I use far too many wet wipes and would need far fewer cloth wipes.

solly
07-01-2012, 11:35 PM
I may look into these although cheeky wipes look on the expensive side I like the idea of the bamboo wipes for hand and faces as they are supposed to be softer, I don't have the luxury of a downstairs bathroom and like the idea of using these on hands and faces on the LO's rather than having to keep going upstairs or having a bowl of water in the Kitchen. I may have a look at other companies and see if there is a cheaper option, but still want the quality.

The boxes are a good idea as well but am sure a plastic box would do the same job

Mouse
07-01-2012, 11:37 PM
The boxes are a good idea as well but am sure a plastic box would do the same job

An old, lidded ice cream tub would work just as well :thumbsup:

stardust
08-01-2012, 01:22 AM
Humm, Im not convinced. I couldn't do it not with the nappies mindees have. The change as quick as possible types. I can see that its about as bad as washing poo'y pants but still I don't fancy putting it through my washing machine. My son will be in nappies until he's old enough to potty train himself maybe about 11?:thumbsup:

As for the moon cup. Why not go on the depo injection/cirazette pill and have no periods at all?? No cost of tampons/pads or a mooncup to empty and no stressy period every month! Sorted.:laughing:

NicoleW
08-01-2012, 06:05 AM
I've cut my down to one load a day which goes on overnight as the electricity rates are cheaper than during the day, it's a struggle but on weekends I do two loads :)

onceinabluemoon
08-01-2012, 07:49 AM
Machine loads - I do one extra wash a day, I have a large drum machine so all the nappies, wipes etc fit in one wash. Yes it is bad for the environment in that it uses electric but I use biodegradable washing liquid (Method) which is kind to the environment so that minimises the danger, and we air dry our washing as much as possible, again minimising impact on the environment. Vanish do a bacterial cleaner if you were *that* worried about germs.

Wipes containers - When cheeky wipes first came out they were in a tub which was exactly the same as the square 'lock and lock' tubs so you could use one of those. (Ice cream tubs are not waterproof so would leak when out and about)

Chemicals - If you think reusing nappies and wipes is disgusting, google 'chemicals in baby wet wipes' and 'chemicals in disposable nappies' and see what you are choosing to put next to/on your baby's skin, then come back to me with your thoughts. ;)

It's all a very personal choice I think and I can appreciate the 'ugh' factor but wonder how you feel once you know what is in wet wipes and nappies...

Mel_Johnson
08-01-2012, 08:15 AM
I used washable wipes and nappies on my little one and wouldn't change a thing. apart from being environmentally friendly it saves so much money. I due my second baby in July and don't have to buy anything for it. I'l be breastfeeding as well so extra costs to our family for at least 6 months!!!
Got to be a bonus when on maternity leave.

I used the cheeky wipes and although they seem a little expensive I glad I got them.

moggy
08-01-2012, 08:36 AM
Old muslin squares cut down and hemmed make really cheap washable wipes, dry quickly too. I stored them dry and used them with just plain water from the tap. I used them when I was using washable nappies as it was just so easy.

Helen79
08-01-2012, 10:26 AM
RIGHT! I know what I'm ordering monday morning.

Never ever heard of these, tbh I've been looking into cloth nappies as well. Yet my DD is 18 months so not sure if it'll be worth it now but she's been getting really bad cases of nappy rash

You can buy 2nd hand cloth nappies which will save you some money, if you get a one size nappy you'll still get another year's wear from them til she's potty trained so in the long run it'll save you money.
If you want t o buy new then these (http://www.tinynippers.co.uk/ourshop/cat_419837-Poppers-PUL.html) look really good value. You can use cheap microfibre clothes from the pound shop for extra boosting.
You may find just by switching to cloth wipes that her nappy rash calms down though.

When mine were in cloth nappies I only did 2 extra washes a week, short 40min ones at 60c. For me the environmental impact of 2 short washes is preferable to the manufacture of disposable nappies and throwing 30nappies, wipes and nappy sacks a week into landfil.

christine e
08-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Right I am no expert on this subject but have read through with interest. There is no way that I could use reusable wipes but when my own two were little I didn't use baby wipes I just used cotton wool and water and I would have thought that this is kinder to the environment that using baby wipes and possibly washing reusable wipes

Cx

Mouse
08-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Right I am no expert on this subject but have read through with interest. There is no way that I could use reusable wipes but when my own two were little I didn't use baby wipes I just used cotton wool and water and I would have thought that this is kinder to the environment that using baby wipes and possibly washing reusable wipes

Cx

Baby wipes didn't exist when my oldest children were little, so I used cotton wool and water. I found it ok when they were babies, but not so good as they got bigger. I'd get through loads of cotton wool and it wasn't very convenient if you were out somewhere without a water supply :rolleyes:

angeldelight
08-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Baby wipes didn't exist when my oldest children were little, so I used cotton wool and water. I found it ok when they were babies, but not so good as they got bigger. I'd get through loads of cotton wool and it wasn't very convenient if you were out somewhere without a water supply :rolleyes:

Those were the days hey :laughing::laughing:

Angel xx

watgem
08-01-2012, 11:23 AM
love it that we can chat about poo and periods on here lol! not many places or people you could talk about this too:)

ORKSIE
08-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Baby wipes didn't exist when my oldest children were little,

They were not around when my DS was a baby either.

I used a flannel on his hands and face and Cotton Wool on his BTM, which was a pain, cos the cotton wool used to stick to him :laughing:

christine e
08-01-2012, 11:27 AM

Hey I'm all for baby wipes (use them all the time) just thinking that cotton wool and water would be an alternative for all those who are wanting to be more environmentally friendly :laughing:

Cx

Mouse
08-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Hey I'm all for baby wipes (use them all the time) just thinking that cotton wool and water would be an alternative for all those who are wanting to be more environmentally friendly :laughing:

Cx

I know what you're saying. My post was more of a memory of the good old days! I remember when baby wipes did come out and they were awful. Even the 'luxury' ones were rubbish in those round containers. And so harsh! I'm sure you could use them for stripping paint :laughing:

We get through so any baby wipes here as my own children use them for everything - cleaning shoes, footballs, bikes...the lot! I think it'll be a shock for them if I ditch baby wipes completely in favour of cloths.

catminder
08-01-2012, 11:48 AM

Just stumbled across this thread - thought it was an April fools joke until I remembered we're still only in January. :eek:
It seems like things are turning full circle now and people want to go back to the good old days - I can remember my mum boiling up my baby brother's nappies in a very big saucepan on the gas hob.(and I'm going back over 40 years)
I have the greatest of respect for anyone trying to do their bit for the environment but I'm not sure if it is environmentally friendly to re-use such wipes if they have to be sterilised and washed using electricity etc.
I can remember the days before 'disposable' wipes/nappies/cloths/kitchen roll and believe me, they were inventened for a reason. Personally I think it's all about getting a balance between convenience and what's good (and not so good) for the environment.
I do try to save energy/resources as much as possible but also value the convenience and hygiene of disposables as well.

angeldelight
08-01-2012, 11:48 AM
I know what you're saying. My post was more of a memory of the good old days! I remember when baby wipes did come out and they were awful. Even the 'luxury' ones were rubbish in those round containers. And so harsh! I'm sure you could use them for stripping paint :laughing:

We get through so any baby wipes here as my own children use them for everything - cleaning shoes, footballs, bikes...the lot! I think it'll be a shock for them if I ditch baby wipes completely in favour of cloths.

Good old days ? :laughing::laughing:Cant say that I would say that ..... I hated using cotton wool , I cant touch the stuff anyway its horrible and having to use it after changing baby was horrible

I hated the wipes when they came out too do you remember how thin they were :laughing:

Bad old days I would say :laughing:

Angel xx

Mouse
08-01-2012, 11:54 AM
I hated the wipes when they came out too do you remember how thin they were :laughing:

Bad old days I would say :laughing:

Angel xx

Oh yes, and how they ripped when you tred to pull them out of the tub, which in itself was a two handed job, so baby had crawled away before you'd done half the job :laughing:

Mouse
08-01-2012, 11:55 AM
Young uns these days. They don't know how easy they've got it :laughing::laughing:

angeldelight
08-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Young uns these days. They don't know how easy they've got it :laughing::laughing:

True :laughing:

Do you remember nappy liners?

Angel xx

Mouse
08-01-2012, 12:07 PM
True :laughing:

Do you remember nappy liners?

Angel xx

Only from when my brother was a baby. Disposable nappies were in when I had my eldest child, so I didn't ever use cloth nappies.

But even disposables weren't like they are now. There were so many different brands...but they all leaked and meant you had to do a complete clothes and bedding change at east once a night!

angeldelight
08-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Only from when my brother was a baby. Disposable nappies were in when I had my eldest child, so I didn't ever use cloth nappies.

But even disposables weren't like they are now. There were so many different brands...but they all leaked and meant you had to do a complete clothes and bedding change at east once a night!

Oh happy days NOT :laughing::laughing:

Angel xx

christine e
08-01-2012, 12:13 PM

baby wipes are great for getting marks out of the carpet!

Cx

onceinabluemoon
08-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Do you know what, after reading all through this you have me converted!

I shall go back to using disposable nappies and pampers wipes and save myself a lot of work, time and money. Although I have to admit the thought if having poopy nappies stinking out my bin for two weeks makes me want to hurl! How on earth can people find washing a poopy wipe disgusting but think having a bin full of crap is ok? *shudders* )

None of my kids want kids of their own so I don't know why I am worrying so much about the environment for other people's family's - must be mad, lol! :laughing: Thank you for saving me ;) x

stardust
08-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Machine loads - I do one extra wash a day, I have a large drum machine so all the nappies, wipes etc fit in one wash. Yes it is bad for the environment in that it uses electric but I use biodegradable washing liquid (Method) which is kind to the environment so that minimises the danger, and we air dry our washing as much as possible, again minimising impact on the environment. Vanish do a bacterial cleaner if you were *that* worried about germs.

Wipes containers - When cheeky wipes first came out they were in a tub which was exactly the same as the square 'lock and lock' tubs so you could use one of those. (Ice cream tubs are not waterproof so would leak when out and about)

Chemicals - If you think reusing nappies and wipes is disgusting, google 'chemicals in baby wet wipes' and 'chemicals in disposable nappies' and see what you are choosing to put next to/on your baby's skin, then come back to me with your thoughts. ;)

It's all a very personal choice I think and I can appreciate the 'ugh' factor but wonder how you feel once you know what is in wet wipes and nappies...

I have looked and tbh its no different to all the chemicals we eat, wash our clothes in , bathe in ect. Chemicals are all around us these days even in our furnishing's and in all fairness the children are not eating the nappies are they. I know some people differ but me and my siblings all had wet wipes and disposable nappies and our bottoms are fine, we all grew up eating non- organic produce and smart price chicken nuggets and again we are fine.
I do try to be environmentally friendly, only tumble drying when needed, minimizing my washing load, having those little plug things that you click a button and everything goes completely off, not just on standby, Recycling 90% of things ect but using disposables is something I personally refuse to budge on. The only main issue with these chemicals being close to baby's bum is if you leave them in the disposable nappy for hours and hours. Again this is my personal view and I honestly think fair play to those of you who use reuseables but it is just not for me. It holds not health risks to my children to use disposables so I will continue to do so. xx

rickysmiths
08-01-2012, 01:11 PM
During the week I do at least 3 loads of washing a day, with more at the weekend. One dark load, one light load and one towels, bibs, flannels etc. The wipes would fit in with the towel load, so wouldn't cause any extra loads.

I have tried bio degradable wipes, but to be honest, they're not very good. I find I use far too many wet wipes and would need far fewer cloth wipes.

:eek: oh my goodness! 3 loads a day? I have just done my 2nd load of 5 a weeik and that includes bedding and towels for the mindees, bedding for 4 of us and towels and clothes. I couldn't get 3 loads a day dry never mind feeling the house was a laundry I admire you for coping with much.

Mouse
08-01-2012, 01:35 PM
:eek: oh my goodness! 3 loads a day? I have just done my 2nd load of 5 a weeik and that includes bedding and towels for the mindees, bedding for 4 of us and towels and clothes. I couldn't get 3 loads a day dry never mind feeling the house was a laundry I admire you for coping with much.

There are 7 of us, plus bibs, towels etc for mindees, so it soon adds up. Our bedding makes up extra loads at the weekend.

I do have to use the tumble drier. Even in the summer I can't get all of our washing dried on the line. I'm not going to stop using the drier, no matter how much electricity I use, so I do look at other ways of making environmental differences - recycling, fabric food wraps instead of food bags or foil, no carrier bags, mooncup etc etc. I can't change the world, but i can do my little bit :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
08-01-2012, 01:49 PM
There are 7 of us, plus bibs, towels etc for mindees, so it soon adds up. Our bedding makes up extra loads at the weekend.

I do have to use the tumble drier. Even in the summer I can't get all of our washing dried on the line. I'm not going to stop using the drier, no matter how much electricity I use, so I do look at other ways of making environmental differences - recycling, fabric food wraps instead of food bags or foil, no carrier bags, mooncup etc etc. I can't change the world, but i can do my little bit :thumbsup:

Gosh mouse I don't envy you but that's 3 loads of washing a week per person! I would go mad if my lot produced that much washing for me a week. I do one load of mindee stuff on a Friday night and 3 - 4 loads for the family which including bedding and towels. I don't have and never have had a drier. I put things on the line or on airers in the playroom at the weekend. They usually dry overnight but what is left tucks into the Utility room during the day.

Mouse
08-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Gosh mouse I don't envy you but that's 3 loads of washing a week per person! I would go mad if my lot produced that much washing for me a week. I do one load of mindee stuff on a Friday night and 3 - 4 loads for the family which including bedding and towels. I don't have and never have had a drier. I put things on the line or on airers in the playroom at the weekend. They usually dry overnight but what is left tucks into the Utility room during the day.

I think it's the convenience of a drier that produces more washing. I'm sure if I didn't have a way of drying it all then I'd never manage to do that much and I'd be making them all wear the same clothes all week! 3 loads of washing each only amounts to one dark load, one light load and a load of towels each a week. School uniform or work clothes, casual clothes, dance clothes, footy kit, sports clothes, PJs - it soon adds up. Then a clean towel each day, 2 if it's a sports day.

Looking at it like that I think I probably get off lightly :laughing:

littleelm
08-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Then a clean towel each day, 2 if it's a sports day.

A clean towel each per person per day?! That is insane and completely unecessary! In our house, each person has their own towel (Bath sheet) and it is used all week! Then each of the three bathrooms has a hand towel which is washed once a week!

Either my family are really unhygienic or your family are complete germophobes!

We do one dark, one white and one coloured wash per week (there are 3 of us) and then bedding fortnightly. And that is enough to get through!

Our washing maching broke before christmas and only got fixed on Tuesday just gone.... we'd all ran out of clothes and still only had about 10 washer loads including bedding and 3 weeks worth of towels!

Oh and we all share the same bath water each day (one after the other, not all at the same time!) we're on a water meter. Plus we'd never have enough time or hot water for 3 baths to be run first thing in a morning!

littleelm
08-01-2012, 11:32 PM
And just to stay on topic. I will definitely be using resuable nappies when I have my own babies.

One baby will use an estimated 8000 nappies from birth til potty. Each nappy takes up to 500 years to break down in landfill... that is 4,000,000 years for each babies quota of nappies! Horrendous!

chez
08-01-2012, 11:52 PM

Sorry Ive not finished reading the thread so not sure if this has already been discussed but does this mean you'd wash them with the bibs? I was a baby of the 80s and so maybe I take the throw away culture easier then some of my mothers generation, what do you do when you go out to toddler groups etc? do you take the nappy content and wipes home with you to put into the cleaning bin?

Im all in for saving the enviorment tho

Mouse
09-01-2012, 09:08 AM
A clean towel each per person per day?! That is insane and completely unecessary! In our house, each person has their own towel (Bath sheet) and it is used all week! Then each of the three bathrooms has a hand towel which is washed once a week!

Either my family are really unhygienic or your family are complete germophobes!

We do one dark, one white and one coloured wash per week (there are 3 of us) and then bedding fortnightly. And that is enough to get through!

Our washing maching broke before christmas and only got fixed on Tuesday just gone.... we'd all ran out of clothes and still only had about 10 washer loads including bedding and 3 weeks worth of towels!

Oh and we all share the same bath water each day (one after the other, not all at the same time!) we're on a water meter. Plus we'd never have enough time or hot water for 3 baths to be run first thing in a morning!

lol! That really made me laugh :laughing::laughing:

I take it you don't live in a household with 4 teenage boys? When you do, come back and tell me that one bath towel will last a whole week and you'd happily jump in a bath of water after they'd all be in :ROFL1:

I admire your thrift, but prefer my nice, fresh, fluffy towels :p

Dragonfly
09-01-2012, 09:11 AM
You can get eco wet wipes and eco bab nappy bags from waitrose i use them.

angeldelight
09-01-2012, 09:11 AM

I take it you don't live in a household with 4 teenage boys? When you do, come back and tell me that one bath towel will last a whole week and you'd happily jump in a bath of water after they'd all be in :ROFL1:

Oh I have to agree with you mouse

We are the same I just love clean towels .... for one thing after a bath / shower wouldn't they smell hanging around drying?

I am always washing and drying

Can not believe how long this thread has got :laughing:

Angel xx

Mouse
09-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Sorry Ive not finished reading the thread so not sure if this has already been discussed but does this mean you'd wash them with the bibs? I was a baby of the 80s and so maybe I take the throw away culture easier then some of my mothers generation, what do you do when you go out to toddler groups etc? do you take the nappy content and wipes home with you to put into the cleaning bin?

Im all in for saving the enviorment tho

No, now that you've pointed it out, I probably wouldn't put them in with the bibs! It's a new thing for me, so I'd have to learn what worked as I went along.

If you google reusable wipes it shows how you soak them after use & how you can use them when you're out. It's not much different to having to carry a cloth nappy home with you. The Cheeky Wipes website explains it well.
People seem to think the wipes will be full of poop, but when you're not using convential wipes, you do tend to be more thorough about making sure most of it has already been wiped off with the nappy.

I'm still thinking about switching, so will update you all if i do :thumbsup:

Mouse
09-01-2012, 09:18 AM
Can not believe how long this thread has got :laughing:

Angel xx

I know! All I did was ask if anyone had any recommendations for reusable wipes?

PixiePetal
09-01-2012, 09:25 AM
:laughing: Mouse at teenagers - try living with a farmer for a DH - no way would I share his water or even his towel. He has his own hand towels in the kitchen and downstairs loo too as even when he washes the dirt still comes off on them!:rolleyes:

His work clothes take a wash on their own - cow poop! yuck!!

Roll on the summer when I can get the washing outside to dry more

for the record I do loads of washing, can't bear it hanging about but have been known to put DDs (17) clothes neatly folded back in her room without washing as they are in the basket longer than on her body :laughing:

Bath towels we have one each, washed as often as I have the space to dry them. Sometimes just on a 'freshen up' cycle :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
09-01-2012, 09:25 AM

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

rickysmiths
09-01-2012, 09:27 AM

Oh I feel bad now. :( I have a teenage son and he has one bath towel and hand towel a week the same as the rest of us. Never occur red to me to change them any more frequently and certainly not every day. :panic:

onceinabluemoon
09-01-2012, 09:30 AM

haha seems to be quite a controversial subject...

I'm thinking that the peeps who find poopy wipes disgusting could just use them for faces and hands... :) or carry on using paper wipes as they please.

Mouse
09-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Oh I feel bad now. :( I have a teenage son and he has one bath towel and hand towel a week the same as the rest of us. Never occur red to me to change them any more frequently and certainly not every day. :panic:

It's all tongue in cheek, Rickysmiths, and I wouldn't dream of wanting to make someone feel bad about what they do. I say, if it works for you & your family, then it's perfect for you :thumbsup:

It made me laugh that the other poster was judging my family based on a light hearted post ... and without having any experience of my teenage boys :laughing:

muffins
09-01-2012, 09:56 AM
I use reusable nappies & washable wipes on my son & also did on my daughter but she has just potty trained, with both of them in cloth I did an extra wash every other day of these but its only every 3 days with 1!

I also use washable wipes for face/hands for my own 2 & they go into a separate wet bag & are washed with the towels or sheets so no extra washing at all!

As for mindees they bring their on wipes which are labled & put on the table for use with them, I don't really want to have pay out for mindees wipes! They obv bring thier own nappies which are then doulbe bagged & put into a wet bag to contain the smell & returned home with them each day!

We are only allowed to fill one whelly bin every other week of rubbish & they wont take any extra bags so this helps us not to go over! However if you think of the amount of money & land fill I'm saving it can't be a bad thing!

:thumbsup:

greenfields
09-01-2012, 10:10 AM
I have read this thread with interest. There's a child in the family with very, very sensitive skin and the only wipes which don't bother her skin are Huggie Pure (packaging states they're as gentle as water).

I love the idea of Cheeky Wipes. I'd certainly use them for hands and faces but I'm unsure about poo. I may be being over the top I don't know, but I'm not sure I'd want the poo-y wipes being washed around with my towels and I wouldn't want to do a seperate load just to wash wipes. Is there away around it? Because I do like the sound of these!

solly
09-01-2012, 10:19 AM
When my work picks up and have got a bit of spare cash, I am going to invest in some (not sure which ones are best and am still looking on the internet. Parents supply their own baby wipes but I am thinking his will be better for hands and faces and will save me on bowls of water in the kitchen or lots of trips to the upstairs bathroom just for simple hand/face wash if i have these handy.
I am quite interested in the bamboo ones as they are supposed to be softer for little faces

There are so many websites selling them and various prices and fabrics used I am a bit confused of which ones to get.

FussyElmo
09-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Well I did 6 loads of washing yesterday and will have 2 today and I dont have teenagers in the house -yet. But there are 6 of us and I do have mud magnets actually it might be 3 washes just been the park and our muddy coats now need doing.

As for the wipes I like the thought of them in theory but there are expensive to start with ( I know you will save it eventually) and I have no babies in the house so dont go through wipes as much anymore :)

muffins
09-01-2012, 11:08 AM
When my work picks up and have got a bit of spare cash, I am going to invest in some (not sure which ones are best and am still looking on the internet. Parents supply their own baby wipes but I am thinking his will be better for hands and faces and will save me on bowls of water in the kitchen or lots of trips to the upstairs bathroom just for simple hand/face wash if i have these handy.
I am quite interested in the bamboo ones as they are supposed to be softer for little faces

There are so many websites selling them and various prices and fabrics used I am a bit confused of which ones to get.

I use double sided wipes, bamboo terry/fleece for bums, the bamboo is great for wiping & then fold & use the fleece side to dry. I then use bamboo terry/bamboo velver for hands/faces as the terry is great for sticky tough to remove food & the velver is smoother for if they have a sore patch etc!
This also helps to keep then seperate!:thumbsup:

solly
09-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Muffins
Do you use cheeky wipes or do you get them from somewhere else. I like the idea of the kit but could probably do it cheaper using plastic boxes that are seal tight. There are so many places that do them but its knowing where is best to get them :)

Tinglesnark
09-01-2012, 12:55 PM

:laughing: i am also killing myself laughing at the "are you insane?"
yes, mouse IS insane but that is by the by! :laughing:

onceinabluemoon
09-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Muffins
Do you use cheeky wipes or do you get them from somewhere else. I like the idea of the kit but could probably do it cheaper using plastic boxes that are seal tight. There are so many places that do them but its knowing where is best to get them :)

Sorry I'm not Muffins. You can buy the wipes separately (and all the other component parts) hope that helps

http://www.cheekywipes.com/cloth-baby-wipes

Mouse
09-01-2012, 01:16 PM
:laughing: i am also killing myself laughing at the "are you insane?"
yes, mouse IS insane but that is by the by! :laughing:

I thought I hid it well :p:laughing:

LOOPYLISA
09-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Hubby has my bath after me, im not dirty shower every morning too but have to have a nice bath at night :thumbsup:

We used to have one together when we had a corner bath :blush::D

And as for fresh clean fluffy towles, yes please :thumbsup:

chez
09-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Just out of intrest do the parents of the mindees also use reuseable nappies? Just wondering as Ive not found any parents that do yet but not sure if thats something they only do when they are with you?

onceinabluemoon
09-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Just out of intrest do the parents of the mindees also use reuseable nappies? Just wondering as Ive not found any parents that do yet but not sure if thats something they only do when they are with you?

I can't answer for everybody else obviously, but no, none of my parents use cloth nappies. All the LOs come in disposables and all go home in one. I offer a cloth nappy service because with 3 full time babies in nappies I had 15 nappies (or more!) a day put in my bin, thats 75 a week and 150 a fortnight. Can you imagine how bad my bin smelt after a fortnight? Even triple bagging the horrid things didn't work! Not only did it stink but that many nappies half filled it leaving little room for our household rubbish. We only have 140 L bins here not the normal 240L size ones and cannot put out any extra rubbish (well, we can put it out but they won't take it.)

Parents often say things like "I was thinking about using cloth nappies but..." but all are happy to use my (free) nappy service. :)

muffins
09-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Muffins

No cheeky wipes are only single sided (1 piece of material) I use http://loobylus.co.uk/category.php?id_category=13

http://weenotions.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=12&zenid=tq7ln7tihdhrirhhbeggk6acj7

http://lusciouslittlesomethings.bigcartel.com/product/cloth-wipes

But not always the ones in stock/advertised if you mail any of them they will make you wipes in whatever size and material you want! They are all WAHM's and I try to support WAHM's whenever I can!:D

muffins
09-01-2012, 04:15 PM
For CSP I cam recommend-

http://loobylus.co.uk/category.php?id_category=95

&

http://www.littlegumnut.co.uk/shop/category.php?id_category=7

But everyone likes a different shape:D