PDA

View Full Version : Business name or Not??

tmcnelis
06-01-2012, 08:09 PM
I would like to have a business name for my childminding. I feel that it would help get my name out there. I have done a little research and only 2 childminders in my area have a website so I will be setting one up and making my own logo to go with it and also using the name/logo on my paperwork etc.

Do many childminders use names? What is your opinion?

I am only in very early stages of the process so would appreciate all views!

Love the site by the way :thumbsup:

thanks xx

sarahjane
06-01-2012, 09:47 PM
This is something I've been thinking about too lately. Business is very slow and I've been trying to come up with ideas of how to promote myself in a more positive way. I'm Montessori trained and use the method within my setting so thinking of incorporating that into a business name.

I'll be watching to see what other people feel about this and whether it would be worth a complete revamp of all of my advertising materials.

blue bear
06-01-2012, 10:00 PM
I dont have a business name, see myself as a traditional childminder, home fro
Home, I dont refer to myself as a setting or any other business like descriptions.
Mind you with business in our area drying up fast it might soon be time to Market as a business to get people through the door.

tmcnelis
06-01-2012, 11:36 PM
My reasons behind wanting a business name was to set me apart from other childminders in my area, I am young, fresh, passionate and dedicated and want this to come across to prospective parents especially as there is a lot of competition in my area.

I have been thinking a lot on how to market myself as I am only 24 and I want to get my name out there and let people know I am serious and passionate about it, if you know what I mean. I am a bit concerned that people won't find me fit for the job unless I dedicate some time and effort into selling myself right. Sorry I am probably not making sense now, I am waffling (past my bedtime)!!:confused:

Sarahjane and fifi, I hope business picks up for you soon! Do you think this time of year is quite slow?

Tracy xx

loocyloo
07-01-2012, 12:13 AM
i don't have a business name, i just use my own name!

i moved 8 mths ago and thought about starting 'afresh' with a business name, but i'm happy using my name, and no one has to think who i am !!! although i did wonder about many be just calling myself 'X & Ys mum' !!! ;)

good luck xxx

Toothfairy
07-01-2012, 09:48 AM
I have had a Business name right from day one.
It was mainly because my first mindee's were my two nieces and then I had a friends child. I wanted to make sure they took me seriously and to realise that I was running a proper business.
I use it on all my letters, invoices, newsletters etc.

My Business name is 'Stay & Play Childcare' and my logo is four jigsaw pieces.

helengreen13
07-01-2012, 11:32 AM
I used to use my own name but when my Sister joined me as my Assistant wanted to go for a more professional approach. We decided on Sunflowers and have the logo on all our stationary, hi-viz vests, work wear etc. To begin with I did feel a bit of an idiot referring to us as Sunflowers Childmiding but now it is second nature and I also believe it has helped us bring business in.

Helen
x

JennyM
07-01-2012, 01:11 PM
I use my own name so JoeBloggs Childcare (although my name isn't Joe Bloggs of course:D)

It works for me and keeps it all simple.

rosebud
07-01-2012, 01:43 PM
I use Little Rosebuds childminding. I only started to do so last year during a quiet period when I decided to set up a website. Most of my work comes from word of mouth and a business name is not necessary for that, if you're good at your job then word gets round and work will come. (but it does take time)
Based on my experience I would say that people who work in professional jobs prefer this approach because to them it says you are a professional and therefore must know what you are doing. It is useful to have a website to direct them to so that they have all the information you want them to have right at the beginning when they make an initial enquiry.
However other people might find it off-putting and prefer a home-from-home approach, they want someone warm and cuddly not a cold, hard, business woman!
I seem to have found a middle ground and use the business name and logo on all my paperwork and website but don't wear t'shirts or have it on my car and everyone refers to me by my own name.
Whether it is right for you might be as simple as depending where you live, if you live in a small village then I imagine its probably not necessary, however if you live in the middle of London where your clients are likely to be business people it will probably be more appropriate.

EmmaReed84
07-01-2012, 01:52 PM
I just have "Emma's Childminding Service" as I also do other things from cakes to baby gifts etc so the main business name is Emma Reed Services.

Wendybird
07-01-2012, 03:45 PM
I use a business name and it's on my website, car (when I'm advertising), invoices, etc. I have a logo as well. I think it helps me to look and feel professional. I'm a very personable person, so I think I need the business side of things needs to feel very businessy from the get-go or I'm liable to get walked all over. I think my advertising feels quite warm and inviting though, at least that's what I've been told! I also love having a website to point people to - it is very thorough and I find that parent visits are easier as they already know quite a bit about how I work and my ethos. There isn't so much pressure on me to remember to tell them everything - which means it can feel quite informal, which I think people like.

mrs coops
07-01-2012, 04:30 PM
I have used a business name from the beginning as well.I'm little monkeys childminding and my logo is 3 little monkeys on a banana lol x:clapping:

francinejayne
07-01-2012, 05:15 PM
I am Jumping Beans Childminding and I think it does set you apart from other childminders (hope I don't offend those that don't have a business name!)

I have a website, a blog and a Facebook page all with the name and with the same logo, and my existing parents love it, and prospective parents all seem very impressed with it. I use my logo on my newsletters and all my documentation, I think it conveys a professional image and means that everything is mine!!!

The only place I don't use it is on here, and I'm not sure why I don't, I just never have!!?? I guess on here I am me!

tmcnelis
09-01-2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Some lovely names too!! I live in London so thought it might be a good idea to have a name. Will brainstorm with my OH tonight... :idea:

I really can't wait to get stuck in and become registered.

stephym
09-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Hiya!

I'm very much a newbie as I have only been registered since December but I'm in a very competitive area for childminding (South London) so I decided to choose a name and logo that I could use on all my documentation and advertising to create a bit of a recognisable brand (urgh, did I really say that :o). I've had really good feedback from the parents that have contacted me so far. Has it got me any more enquiries than if I had used my name? Who's to know!

One thing I would say is to register your business on Google. This means that anybody typing 'Childminders in x' (x being your home town or postcode) willl see your business and link to your website. Not many CM's in my area are on Google and my very first mindee came to me this way. It's straightforward to do, you request to be registered, then Google send you a card in the post with a pin number on which you then type in to activate your business (just prevents anybody else from registering a business at your address).

Good luck!

Jiorjiina
09-01-2012, 08:25 PM
I chose my name because it puts me at the top (literally!) of the local FIS. I meant it as a joke originally, but I do feel more professional with a business name. I don't have a logo though.

One thing I would say is to register your business on Google. This means that anybody typing 'Childminders in x' (x being your home town or postcode) willl see your business and link to your website. Not many CM's in my area are on Google and my very first mindee came to me this way. It's straightforward to do, you request to be registered, then Google send you a card in the post with a pin number on which you then type in to activate your business (just prevents anybody else from registering a business at your address).

You will need to be really careful about this as making your location identifiable like this is a safeguarding risk.