PDA

View Full Version : would ofsted ever allow this?

mammumof4
06-01-2012, 02:24 PM
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!! XXX
just a quicky as i have told a parent i will get back to them, am i right in thinking that ofsted will NEVER allow us to care for more than 3 children in the early years group?

at the moment i care for a 4 year old and his 5 month old brother, i also have a baby of my own who is 8 months old. (obviously ive had a variation for 2 under ones granted)
(i also have a 6 yr old and 9 yr old of my own at school)
ive had a parent on the phone today needing care for her 15 month old, she has been looking for a childminder for months and nothing in the area, or all childminders are all full.

i may look for an assistant as enquiries are coming thick n fast (but thats another story fopr another thread! lol):D

AliceK
06-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Hi

Yes I have had 2 variations to allow me to have 4 EYFS children so they will allow it however not usually for New Business but rather for continuity of care so not sure you would be able to help this parent?

xxxxx

mammumof4
06-01-2012, 02:37 PM
thank you, so its not impossible then. maybe i should apply then. been minding for 3 years now and ive always gotten a good at inspection so gonna give it a go, although i would need a triple buggy :eek:

ChocolateChip
06-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Good luck, I've had a variation to have four in the EYFS before, I think it's the 6 under 8 they are very strict on.

Mouse
06-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Ofsted don't normally grant a variation for new business and won't let you go over the maximum of 6 under 8s without having an assistant work with you. However, if your local early years team will confirm that there are no other childminders in the area who can offer the required space, then they may consider it.

Have a look at the variation info on the ofsted fact sheet on the numbers of children you can be registered for.

Chatterbox Childcare
06-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Don't ask for a variation for new children but use the existing ones as upping their hours and I would expect it to be a yes

Goatgirl
06-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Hi :).
If the new little one started with you on a part time basis during hours you do not have the other 2, you could apply for the variation on grounds of continuity of care :thumbsup:
Worth a go :)

good luck ,
Wendy :)

mammumof4
07-01-2012, 12:12 AM
Ofsted don't normally grant a variation for new business and won't let you go over the maximum of 6 under 8s without having an assistant work with you. However, if your local early years team will confirm that there are no other childminders in the area who can offer the required space, then they may consider it.

Have a look at the variation info on the ofsted fact sheet on the numbers of children you can be registered for.

im not a new buisness
i currently care for a 4 yr old and a 5 month old 3 days a week

the 6 under 8, do i count my own in that then? i get so confused with it.

i have a 6 year old and an 8 month old (also have a 9 yr old,14 yr old and 17yr old but they dont count just thought i would mention it :))

Mouse
07-01-2012, 12:28 AM
I meant new business as in you taking on someone new, not as in you being a new business, if you see what I mean.

The maximum of 6 under 8 does include your own. How many does it say you can have on your certificate? That number is the amount of minded children you can have, so would normally be 6 less the number of your own children under 8. If you have 2 children under 8 I would guess your certificate would say something like 'can care for a maximum of 4 children under 8, of which 2 may be in the early years age range'.

If you had a variation you would still only be able to have 4 minded children, but you would be allowed 3 in the early age range for the hours you need it and for the children you name on a variation request. It wouldn't mean you could have 3 all the time, only for the ones you specifically ask for it for.

Does that help, or am I confusing you even more?

roro1
07-01-2012, 12:30 AM
It should state how many you can care for on certificate, but own children are normal counted. Hope that helps. Thanks

Mouse
07-01-2012, 12:31 AM
Just another thought, is the 4yr old in full time school yet?

If they are you can have a clause put on your certificate to say that you can count them as being out of the EY age range for the purpose of ratios.

christine e
07-01-2012, 08:50 AM
As this is new business then I feel Ofsted would say no and also you would have 3 very young children - two under one and a 15 month old but as Mouse says if the 4 year old is in full time education then that child can be counted as a 5 year old (but you do need special wording on your certificate) and you would be ok

Cx

mammumof4
07-01-2012, 05:12 PM
thank you so much for all your help :) i think i understand it now.

no the 4 year old isnt in school, i have been looking after him for a few months now and im due to start looking after his 5 month old brother, i have done a few settling in days and i managed very well with all 3 (including my 8 month old) and i do feel i could manage the 15 month aswell as the brothers only attend 3 days a week, the 15 month old would be mon-fri

my certificate says

may care for no more than 4 children under 8, of these no more thanm 2 may be in the early years group amd no more than 1 may be under 1 year at any one time

when caring for 4 or 5 year olds who are in full time education the number may be increased.......

so i will need a variation to include oned more in the early yrs group. is that right?? as i dont include my own...do i?

Mouse
07-01-2012, 05:35 PM
thank you so much for all your help :) i think i understand it now.

no the 4 year old isnt in school, i have been looking after him for a few months now and im due to start looking after his 5 month old brother, i have done a few settling in days and i managed very well with all 3 (including my 8 month old) and i do feel i could manage the 15 month aswell as the brothers only attend 3 days a week, the 15 month old would be mon-fri

my certificate says

may care for no more than 4 children under 8, of these no more thanm 2 may be in the early years group amd no more than 1 may be under 1 year at any one time

when caring for 4 or 5 year olds who are in full time education the number may be increased.......

so i will need a variation to include oned more in the early yrs group. is that right?? as i dont include my own...do i?

That's right. The numbers on the certificate tell you about the MINDED children you can have, so always refer to that when thinking about your numbers. If you were to get a variation your certificate would say the same as above, but would have another paragraph saying something along the lines of you may increase your numbers in the EY age range for the children named in the variation request of such and such a date.
I have a variation in place and on my certificate it says it only applies on a particular day of the week, for the named children.

As has been said before, Ofsted don't usually allow a variation for you to take on new children. It is intended for existing children who need to increase their days, or for siblings of existing children. Depending when it was to start, your best bet would be to take on the new child for 5 days a week, then ask for a variation for the 5mth old sibling of your current mindee. Or start the new child on the days you have free at the moment, then ask for a variation for them to increase their days to full time.

julie w
07-01-2012, 06:08 PM
speaking from experience I have never had problems getting a variation. In fact the last time I asked for one the man asked how many children would I like . I know its not right but sometimes it just seems depend on who you speak to at ofsted and what mood theyre in. Sorry if that doesnt seem much help, but what I'm saying is just go for it and ask. I think you will have more luck if you stress on the sibling care. Good luck x

mammumof4
08-01-2012, 02:05 PM
thank you :):)

i have mum of 18 month coming to see me on tuesday so i will talk to her about the hours she needs and see if we can work something out.

thanks again for all your help guys :D