PDA

View Full Version : 2 year old's speech

rachel26
06-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Hi there,

I hope that I am posting this in the right section.

I have a child in my care who will be two next month and I am a little concerned about his speech development. To me it seems a little behind what it should be. He only uses a handful of words, which are not very clear and doesn't yet really put any together. He points a lot and babbles but is not understandable. I'm also comparing him to the other two children I have who are 14 months and 18 months and both are more advanced ion speech than him.

Basically, I am wondering what I should do? Is it too early for it to be a concern? Is there any sort of agency I can contact for advice?

Thank you to anyone who can give me any advice on this subject!

Rachel

rickysmiths
06-01-2012, 03:17 PM
I have a 21 month old whose mum took him to a drop in clinic this week to have his speech assessed. I would speak to the parent and get them to see their Health Visitor or GP for referal if needed. The earlier things are checked out the better. Indeed my mum was praised for going so early.

Gizmo
06-01-2012, 04:00 PM
I minded a lo and was worried about his speech, at nearly 2 all he would say was car, I mentioned it to mum a few times but she didnt think there was anything wrong

Chatterbox Childcare
06-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Have you been on a speech and language course as they are brilliant. I did one Dec2010 and learnt so much - 1 of the points being don't compare children although I know it is easier said than done. Do you have a network or DO? Ask them for BRISC tables so you can assess yourself.

I have a 2.5 year old and he says 2 words but understands everything.

nikki thomson
06-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Hi, my son was 2yrs 3mths when my dd was born and when the health visitor came to see me I mentioned he didn't speak, he could say mamma, dadda and a couple if babbly words and that was it, I was really worried but she wasn't concerned and said if I was still worried when he turned 3 to get in touch.
I have to say he soon caught up and now talks non stop, drives me insane, lol. Xx

rosebud
06-01-2012, 06:06 PM
I did a bit of speech and language training and seem to remember that their expectations (speech therapists) are not actually that high. At 2 they only expected them to be able to put 2 words together and it was more about understanding. I would try to get some informal advice about when to be concerned.

Pipsqueak
06-01-2012, 06:16 PM
What you need to do:

speak with the parents and get their input and to monitor

check that people aren't just doing stuff for him or talking for him - give him opportunity and encouragement and motivation to speak

model lots of simple good language

take it back to basics as you would with a tiny tot - ensure they are looking at your face/mouth, practise lots of 'sounds' ie raspberrys, tongue waggling and movement, bubble blowing etc etc - get those muscles working

observe him and write down what you observe - HOW is he communicating - what is his communication and understanding like, are there concerns about his hearing - this is the FIRST thing that should be formally ruled out and parents should be requesting a hearing check

how is he being encouraged to participate at home

when you observe do so at different times - you might be surprised at how many words he has

do a simple activity such as two favorite toys - hold them up , face to face with him and repeat the word and encourage him to do so

lots of songs and rhymes with actions - get him to join in - perhaps select one or two rhymes that you mainly concentrate on a week beat and action is shown to increase verbal retention and output

stories - simple books with pictures of everyday things - get your small world figures out of ie/farm - get the farm book and select the cow - moo - cow point at the picture , hold the cow out... it will be surprising how quickly they pick this up then you just increase the repetiore slowly

once you have started all this and there are still concerns such as NO or very very little progress you have 'evidence'

LeanneC
06-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Hi

Ive not been on here for such a long time. Im glad I have come back as I too have a mindee who turned 2 at the start of Jan this year and he says Ta, Car, Bye Bye , Hi, Matt (my husbands name) before he left me at Christmas for the hols but he has come back saying NOoooo now. That is all he says though any other time he will grunt and shrug his shoulders is a new thing he has started lately. Its really haard to get him to speak sometimes, I find myself asking open ended questions and waiting and waiting but he will just smile or grunt. I have spoken to my area sure start coordinator lady (sorry cant remember her title) she gave me some booklets on speach from the sure start course I can talk which I have done and a dvd. I have not mentioned this to mum yet that i've had any concerns that his speach is a little behind, she has just last week, sadly lost her father so I dont want to add anymore stress. All that I am doing at the minute is singing nursery ryhmes everyday, when he does this he sings the tune but doesnt say any words ie baa baa black sheep is ba ba ba bee ba ba bab ba , I talk to him in a manner you and I would speak to each other and not baby talk (obviously) also I am able through the day have one to one conversations with him luckily and I get down on the floor and play alongside him. He does have an older sister and nanna is about at the minute so I think he does get everything done for him even talking. I 'm sure the little ones will catch up soon :)

rachel26
07-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Thanks all for your advice. I know I am already doing all the right activities as suggested (reading, rhymes, songs etc...) so I think my next step will be to really observe his speech more closely and note down exactly what words he does use/ attempt ti use.

I definitely don't think there is a problem with his hearing as he is very alert to sounds and will repeat sounds he hears like the microwave beeping, or a siren outside. He also has a good understanding of what I say to him and can follow simple instructions.

I will see if I can fins some training on Speech and Language development - I think that would be very helpful! And then i guess I'll take it from there!

Thanks again x

Pipsqueak
07-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Thanks all for your advice. I know I am already doing all the right activities as suggested (reading, rhymes, songs etc...) so I think my next step will be to really observe his speech more closely and note down exactly what words he does use/ attempt ti use.

I definitely don't think there is a problem with his hearing as he is very alert to sounds and will repeat sounds he hears like the microwave beeping, or a siren outside. He also has a good understanding of what I say to him and can follow simple instructions.

I will see if I can fins some training on Speech and Language development - I think that would be very helpful! And then i guess I'll take it from there!

Thanks again x

It would still be worth getting hearing checked. You cannot know for certain that a full range of hearing is present - the low and high tones.