PDA

View Full Version : 7 seater cars

BlondeMoment
05-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Hi everyone

I posted about this last year when I was looking into getting a 7 seater car. I spent £5000 on a Renault Espace and it has given me nothing but trouble.
On the advice of three seperate mechanics I'm going to get rid of it, and am steering clear of diesels for the rest of my days given all that has happened lol.

A friend of mine has a Zafira but the pull up seats aren't any good for fitting a car seat in. She can only use those seats for older children, and being a childminder with changing children all the time, I need my options all open so need 7 proper seats.

Does anyone have a decent reliable 7 seater like this that they can recommend? Something with 7 proper seats and boot space for a buggy even with all 7 seats in use?

Helcatt
05-01-2012, 11:50 PM
I love my VW sharan, but have to say that the boot space is not gret when all seats are in use

I know a lot of people have had the toyota previa and loved them, I have seen one friends and the boot space is great! But don't think they make them any more so are getting a bit old

I am not keen on the zafira or picasso, some people like the grand voyager but I was not impressed on fuel consumption or safety front

HX

aly
06-01-2012, 12:12 AM
i had a citroen c8 and the boot was fab, i could fit in a graco travel system flat in the boot.....i now have a galaxy and the boot although a little smaller i can still have a double buggy and single buggy in boot...with all 7 seats up...the seats are all separate and not the folding rubbish type.

the zafira for me was rubbish due to size of boot, and to have 2 setas down was a waste of time in have a 7 seater.....dont like the scenics because the 2 back seats are the temporary seats, which i didnt like.

my very first mpv was a previa and i loved it...but it was old

EmmaReed84
06-01-2012, 06:48 AM
I have a Zafira and have found the pull up seats were easier to fit a car seat in that the normal seats... Am I wroong for actually using the pull up seats for car seats then?:eek:

I love my Zafira I have two car seats in the back, then one in front. I have a booster seat also so when I need to get to the rear seats I have put the booster on the floor and get the kids strapped in. I even find securing their harnesses easier in the pull up seats...

... If I shouldnt be using them please tell me as I will need to get another car as I only have two proper seat belts in the back seats and a lap belt and I have 3 car seats

Greengrass74
06-01-2012, 07:34 AM
We have a Chyrsler Grand Voyager, it is a great car, 7 seats with the lay out of 2 front, 2 middle and 3 at the cack all with the 3 point harness. The boot is big and I can fir a wheelchair in the back not folded down.

It has side sliding doors which are great in car parks making getting LO's in and out easy.

We have had other 7 seaters and this is by far the best and most spacious.

Carol M
06-01-2012, 09:41 AM
When I bought my Zafira , new 59 plate , I asked specifically about using child seats in the back two pull up seats. I was assured by my local Vauxhall dealership that it was ok to use child seats in the back. One of my mums has bought one now as she liked mine and the options of seating.
Carol xx

EmmaReed84
06-01-2012, 10:10 AM
When I bought my Zafira , new 59 plate , I asked specifically about using child seats in the back two pull up seats. I was assured by my local Vauxhall dealership that it was ok to use child seats in the back. One of my mums has bought one now as she liked mine and the options of seating.
Carol xx

Phew... I was driving to school this morning thinking please be ok, please be ok please be ok. lol. I would seriously struggle if it wasnt ok :panic:

stardust
06-01-2012, 10:37 AM
I have a 2000 reg zafira cost me £850 due to a few scratches - no problem i was putting children in it a few scratches didn't matter.

I love it, best thing I ever bought, I put 2 carseat's in the back both for 2 yr old's and can lie my double push chair on its side and it fits in. Its all in how you position it x

I had a 1996 reg Corsa (3 years) and had no problems, my mum (5 yrs), uncle (2 yr) and grandad (2 over 8yrs because he likes them to be new ish) all have Astra's and so far (touch wood) have hand no problems. In general we've never had any problems with any Vauxhall we've owned and we've had a few.
In all fairness my mum put us 4 in her Vectra (which lasted 6 yrs until it was down graded). When we were little and if anyone could destroy anything it would be us, with our slamming of doors yet it lasted.

So what my long winded reply means is that I would strongly recommend a Vauxhall to anyone. Regardless of model. They are cheap on parts.
And Insurance - I was quoted as a 21 yr old female, in a manual 1.8 petrol zafira, Fully comp- social, domestic and business use £1000. That's with 3 yrs no claims. I think that is very reasonable considering i have only been driving 3 yrs and jumped from a 1.4 to 1.8.
Mum on the same as above with her 12 yrs no claims and she's 40 was £600!
Bargin!

ajc
06-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Hi

I have a Zafira and love it, the pull up seats are fine for 1-3 seats, I have Britax ones that just stay in all the time and boosters/dreamer for the other 3 seats. We found that the Zafira was cheaper on petrol/insurance and tax.
Annette x

aly
06-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Nooo sorry didnt mean to scare anyone lol, just preference really....Just dont like those type of seats.

xx

snufflepuff
06-01-2012, 01:21 PM
We have a peugeot 807 and to be honest wouldn't recommend it. I can't wait to get rid!
The boot space isn't too bad with all seats in use, but I couldn't fit my double buggy in. I used to have one seat up in the back with a carseat fitted, with the buggy in place of the other seat (which had to be stored in our garage) then 2 car seats fitted on the middle row and a booster on the third middle seat- which obviously needed to be flipped forward to get access to the back seat.

I love the sliding doors, they are really useful. And the parking sensor has been a lifesaver- I'll probably buy one to fit on any car we get in the future. Otherwise that's it really...ours is a petrol and the fuel consumption is just ridiculous! Tax is very expensive too.

aly
06-01-2012, 01:35 PM
We have a peugeot 807 and to be honest wouldn't recommend it. I can't wait to get rid!
The boot space isn't too bad with all seats in use, but I couldn't fit my double buggy in. I used to have one seat up in the back with a carseat fitted, with the buggy in place of the other seat (which had to be stored in our garage) then 2 car seats fitted on the middle row and a booster on the third middle seat- which obviously needed to be flipped forward to get access to the back seat.

I love the sliding doors, they are really useful. And the parking sensor has been a lifesaver- I'll probably buy one to fit on any car we get in the future. Otherwise that's it really...ours is a petrol and the fuel consumption is just ridiculous! Tax is very expensive too.

thats odd you say that as the c8 is the same car as the 807 and i foudn the boot space big, i had the graco travel system that i could lay flat and another buggy on top.

ours was a guzzler too and tax ...wooah...defo agree there, ours had to go last year so i bought the galaxy...best car so far.

snufflepuff
06-01-2012, 01:42 PM
thats odd you say that as the c8 is the same car as the 807 and i foudn the boot space big, i had the graco travel system that i could lay flat and another buggy on top.

ours was a guzzler too and tax ...wooah...defo agree there, ours had to go last year so i bought the galaxy...best car so far.

To be fair the double was quite big when folded. It might have fit in on it's side if I'd popped the wheels off but I couldn't be doing with all that and as I didn't need all 7 seats it was fine to just take one out.

nikki thomson
06-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Ford galaxy's are great cars, reliable and don't cost alot to fix when they go wrong. The Chrysler voyager although big cars they cost an absolute fortune when anything goes wrong with them, my friend has spent a fortune on hers. X

loocyloo
06-01-2012, 02:00 PM
ive got a toyota verso, with 2 pop up seats in the boot.

i can just squeeze a single buggy in the boot with all seats in use, but lay the double in front of the middle seats if needed.

all my car seats fit.

i haven't had any problems with the car, and before that i had a toyota picnic and loved that too! doesn't seem to cost me much ... fingers crossed as it has a BIG service due next week!

JennyM
06-01-2012, 02:01 PM
I have a Ford Galaxy, bought second hand from another
Childminder and I love it.

AliceK
06-01-2012, 02:16 PM
I used to have a Ford Galaxy which was great space-wise but total rubbish. The electrics kept going wrong and then I ended up with windscreen wipers that refused to work :angry:
I now have a Zafira and love it. OK, it isn't great on boot space with all seats up but TBH I don't need to use it for 6 children very often so I'm fine with it.

xxxxx

Ali56
06-01-2012, 03:01 PM
I have a Zafira and have found the pull up seats were easier to fit a car seat in that the normal seats... Am I wroong for actually using the pull up seats for car seats then?:eek:

I love my Zafira I have two car seats in the back, then one in front. I have a booster seat also so when I need to get to the rear seats I have put the booster on the floor and get the kids strapped in. I even find securing their harnesses easier in the pull up seats...

... If I shouldnt be using them please tell me as I will need to get another car as I only have two proper seat belts in the back seats and a lap belt and I have 3 car seats

As far as I know its fine to use seats in the boot. I went on the halfords car seat checker and deliberately bought seats they recommended for the boot and middle seats of my zafira. I have 3 britax ones which fit in any seat of the car (except front of course). I also have the graco high back boosters as they are the same. I can also fit 3 of theses in a row in the middle if needed.
HTH a little bit :)
I love my zafira, I have a 2l TDi, never a days trouble so far ( fingers crossed!! :D )

smurfette
06-01-2012, 04:28 PM
HIa,

we had a hyundai trajet for some years which was great and only gave us trouble in the last year at 8 years of age.. never had to do anything at all other than a service til then. They are full seats, all seperate so gives nice space to the kids and not a bad boot.. only downside is if you want to not use the 2 back ones, you have to take them out, and store them, but doesnt sound like you will need them much! It did guzzle petrol though, would probably be better in a diesel.

Now we have a renault grand scenic, which I have to say I like, the seats at the very back are grand for baby seats, I use them always for group 1 seats, but there isn't leg room for my 8 and 10 year olds, though my six year old in her backed booster seat is happy (basically no foot well) with the seats folded down there is a huge boot and they go up and down easily. It is a little cramped after the trajet and you might find that after the Espace but cheaper to run (petrol, tax etc .. 1.5 petrol) so figure it's worth it!

We test drove the Zafira and I found it tinny, didn't think it was very strong!

blue bear
06-01-2012, 10:22 PM
I love my vw sharan, it's my second one! This one has two seats with child seats in built which convert to a booster then a normal adult seat and are a godsend, no fitting different seats for different size children and at weekends they are just normal seats with no baby seats to store. All the seats are separate seats and come out completely, so good for moving furniture etc. Boot is not massive phil and ted fits in though.
When I have less children I leave one seat at home to make more room for bags and all the other paraphanalia for day trips out.

Jelly Baby
07-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Hi i have a zafira..reading the previous replys i was panicked too into the back seats being no good but see now they are thank god! The rear seats are used for the twins i have as the middle seats are always in use and saves them being taken in and out so theirseats are permenantly strapped in. The boot is small but i think you fill find the majority of 7 seaters smallish, i can fit a double buggy in mine. My frined has a Mitsubish grande and thats got a big boot. I love my Zafira but its steaming up and judders a little intermitantly, the garage think its me but we have a mini too and i drive that fine so?! Lovely light car to drive imo. However! i am looking at changing it due to the steaming up and i have dented the back of it and am looking at the Citroen C4 Grande which seem to have a lot more for the money..going to save a bit though first!

Good luck with whatever you choose.

KCChildminder
08-01-2012, 06:53 PM
I have a 9 seater land rover.

The children love it (They call it my truck!)

There is also plenty of room for my pushchair and bags and the children have plenty of choice where to sit! It also means that I can leave most the car seats in the same place all the time as there are so many seats to spare that even on the weekends when I take my own family (of 5) out that we don't have to take the car seats out and put them back in on Monday morning to take the children out.

Hope this helps.
Karen :)

rogersc7
08-01-2012, 09:38 PM
A few childminders in my area have got ford s-Max's and they are proper seats and can get a phil and teds in the back and a couple of umbrella buggies should you need that many. Tried and tested on a day trip to the zoo with a couple of CMs and their little ones!!!! Very recommended

zoe2010
08-01-2012, 09:57 PM
I love my Exclusive Grand picasso my single pushchair fits in the boot with ease with all 7 seats up if i need my double pushchair with all 7 seats up i store it in the footwell of the middle row :laughing: i'd reccomemd it any day!

BlondeMoment
10-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Thanks everyone. this has really helped with my research.

Just hope to get a decent reliable one this time as the Espace has been a living nightmare

It's been forcing me to use buses with double buggies at peak times and has left me stranded in the rain with 4 children :(
Not fun. Very stressful :angry:

thanks everyone

Twinkles
10-01-2012, 10:36 PM
For the record I HATE my Zafira !

I have a vw caravelle that is absolutely great. So much room sooooo easy to get the children in and out. Great big enormous boot. Love it.

It's off the road at the moment waiting on DH doing some work on it and I'm having to use the Zafira.

I'm grateful to have a back up plan but , seriously. Taking car seats out to move the middle seat to get the children in the back ! What a faff

.....and the dog has no where to sit

.....and I can't take my tandem buggy out with me

Lems
10-01-2012, 10:51 PM
I have a Kia Sedona love it for my family, but not insured for cming ,not had a need as yet.

curly
10-01-2012, 10:52 PM
I LOVE my Zafira :) it's my favourite car (my first 7 seater).

I was fed up at first moving the middle seat about and therefore having to unstrap a seat that maybe in the middle side but I solved it by drawing a line on the floor of the car with permanent marker where my foot fits and that's where I always leave my middle seat. I then access the back my standing in the gap and climbing in, it works really well the middle bench doesn't have to move but the view from the next parking space might not be very nice :laughing: hth x

~Chelle~
10-01-2012, 10:57 PM
I had a Zafira but found the boot space too small and struggled to get kids in the boot seats, when there was other car seats in the middle.

I now drive a Citroen C8 and love it. All the seats are individual and can be moved as such, without moving all the other seats.

The boot is huge and I found that I could fit my double and single in there at the same time.

It does cost a lot more on the Tax but I think it is worth it x

BlondeMoment
12-01-2012, 02:29 PM
For the record I HATE my Zafira !

I have a vw caravelle that is absolutely great. So much room sooooo easy to get the children in and out. Great big enormous boot. Love it.

It's off the road at the moment waiting on DH doing some work on it and I'm having to use the Zafira.

I'm grateful to have a back up plan but , seriously. Taking car seats out to move the middle seat to get the children in the back ! What a faff

.....and the dog has no where to sit

.....and I can't take my tandem buggy out with me

LOL! Yes one of my parents have a Zafira and I can't say I'm too keen. There isn't any boot space at all with all 7 seats up and I would def need them all up.

Tatjana
12-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Ford Galaxy is fantastic, really reliable and so easy and smooth to drive, I love it!!!:thumbsup:

Demonjill
28-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Just out of interest do those of you that dont like having to take/move car seats out zafira or such like to get to the seats at back not considered using ISOFIX seats or are your cars older models?

Just wondered:idea:

RachelE
28-01-2012, 09:44 PM
I had a Hyundai Trajet and looooved it!

I used all 7 seats and fitted my 3 wheeler double behind the seats.

We only got rid of it as dh had a Lanrdrover and when we moved I walked everywhere and he needed an economical car - so mine went! :crying:

He uses the economical one in the week and I get the LR - downside is I cannot fit even my single buggy behind seats 6 and 7. Not a problem til the holidays when I want to get out and about!

Good luck choosing!

Rachel x

LOOPYLISA
28-01-2012, 10:22 PM
A few childminders in my area have got ford s-Max's and they are proper seats and can get a phil and teds in the back and a couple of umbrella buggies should you need that many. Tried and tested on a day trip to the zoo with a couple of CMs and their little ones!!!! Very recommended

Love these :thumbsup:

sonia ann
28-01-2012, 10:41 PM
I'm on my second 7 seater Toyota Previa and love it ................it's roomy and plenty of room for double and a single buggy in the boot and all the other paraphernalia associated with cm..............it's a shame they don't make them now :(

Christi
28-01-2012, 10:46 PM
We have a caravelle and love it, although the tax and mpg are it's downsides. We'd be hard pushed to feel cramped in it! We have the two seperate seats rear facing so that all the children can talk to each other and has the added bonus that two of them can travel rear facing with the additional safety benefits. I've carried multiple buggies/shopping/bags . . . in it. Best bit (silly, but true) I can not reach any of the children so if they drop/throw something, tough! On the floor it stays until the end of the journey.

winstonian
29-01-2012, 08:59 AM
I had a zafira and found it hard on my back leaning in and out to get to the back seats. Also not much pushchair/bag space.
We've got a Renault Espace but the petrol version (just had to check with dh as its his job to keep it filled up lol). We've had it since last July - cost £1600 and I love it!!

lulubelle
29-01-2012, 09:58 AM
I'm not keen on my zafira either, luckily most of the time I can leave it as a 6 dearer so put the child in the back in through the boot. It is an older model and can't even turn off passengers airbag!

Trouble
29-01-2012, 10:30 AM
my zaferia was rubbish i think the best 7 seaters are sharans vw

we have an outlander but the boot isnt big enought for prams when the back seats are up and the back seats arent very good either:panic:

samb
29-01-2012, 12:54 PM
I got my first 7 seater yesterday :clapping: so exciting! Please please please keep the work coming in to pay off the loan for it!!! LoL! I bought a VW Sharan. Will have to let you know more thoughts in a few weeks. But the reason I bought it was... VW - good make, German engines are well built and generally have less go wrong with them than French for example. It was within my budget but not the cheapest possible (could have got the same looking car Ford Galaxy for less money but engine not as well made in Ford as VW). Liked the seating arrangement, being able to move the seats forwards and backwards and out easily. A friend mechanic works on German cars so handy. Other childminders I know who have them love them. Didn't like the Touran - too small. It is a manual and a diesel and was higher powered than another I looked at. I used to drive a Toyota Previa when i was a nanny it had 8 seats but they were not individual seats so you couldn't have had 1 less etc - otherwise the Previa was fab. I need to have a play around with fitting things in. If I had a normal size buggy it would fit fine however I have a monster of a buggy (Hauck Duet) and it's very big so need to play with fitting it in. However I have the advantage of only needing 6 seats and not 7 on a regular basis and so I am open to storing a seat in the loft if I need to. Oh and another thing I like is that the chair back folds down so you can use it like a table if you are next to the chair - good for long journeys with less people (if it's just my family of 4 going on holiday for example). Wish mine had the seats with the intergrated child seats but it doesn't - you can't have it all!

Amyclark32
29-01-2012, 10:53 PM
I have a VW sharan too and love it. As long as I need a seven seater I will only have a seat alhambra, ford galaxy or VW sharan. (they are pretty much identical cars with different badges.)
Loads of room for 6 kids and a double buggy. Built in baby seats are a boost too.

helencart
02-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Hi everyone

I posted about this last year when I was looking into getting a 7 seater car. I spent £5000 on a Renault Espace and it has given me nothing but trouble.
On the advice of three seperate mechanics I'm going to get rid of it, and am steering clear of diesels for the rest of my days given all that has happened lol.

A friend of mine has a Zafira but the pull up seats aren't any good for fitting a car seat in. She can only use those seats for older children, and being a childminder with changing children all the time, I need my options all open so need 7 proper seats.

Does anyone have a decent reliable 7 seater like this that they can recommend? Something with 7 proper seats and boot space for a buggy even with all 7 seats in use?

I have a ford s max my 2nd one and would not be without it...........its a fantastic car. I can have all my seats in with all the seats up and still get a double buggy in. i would recommend you visit your local ford and at least try one.