PDA

View Full Version : parental permission for contacting soc serv form

jadavi
05-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Hi, a dad was reluctant today to sign the form giving me permission to contact sec services over child protection issues. He said everyone was within their rights anyway without needing special signed permission. He said the nursery they were using didn't need this and he wasn't happy signing a blanket permission form and please would I contact them with any concerns. I said of course and would get back to him.

I rang the Every child matters coordinator and she advised that the form was only really to get the conversation going so parents were aware of our rights and it was not mandatory.

Does anyone else ask parents to sign this? It was not a pleasant conversation...
Any thoughts?

crazyhazy
05-01-2012, 10:18 PM
hmm I'm on scotland and policies etc seem to be a little different up here, but I don;t have a permission for this cos quite frankly why would I need permission to report concerns to social services? It doesn't make sense to me really why you'd need one, I do have a child protection policy which personally I feel covers this, don;t see why you'd ask for permission since you don't need any.

pinky33
05-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Hmmm I would have been uncomfortable with this also can't imagine most people wanting to sign.
We don't use a permission for this, last year when we had to contact them we talked to parent but if they had said no we still would have done.

ChocolateChip
05-01-2012, 10:23 PM
I don't use a permission form for this, as the dad pointed out if you had a real concern you would just do it anyway.
I do make all customers aware of my safeguarding duties, both verbally and through my policies.
Maybe you would be better just getting them to sign to say they've read and understood your policies?
Sorry hun, I would have probably felt a bit wary over it too.

jadavi
05-01-2012, 10:30 PM
yes I agree, I will definitely drop it then. It was recommended but cant remember by whom....

Thanks

Zumba-mum
05-01-2012, 10:34 PM
I don't have one either, it's written in some policies which parents sign saying they have read and understand them all. I really wouldn't worry.

flowerpots
06-01-2012, 07:10 AM
Our local authority send us one which were encouraged to get signed by parents. :o

onceinabluemoon
06-01-2012, 07:30 AM
would not want to sign a form for that either, it would make me feel as if I was suspected of foul play.

From a childminder point of view I talk to parents and tell them that I, just like all other childcare providers have a duty of care etc etc etc

sarah707
06-01-2012, 07:46 AM
I have 2 different types of things on my permissions form - permissions for things like outings, photos etc.

Then I have a section which gives information to the parents eg

I have been informed about Sarah's no smoking policy

I confirm that I have been informed about Sarah's no smacking on the premises policy

One of those says something like -

I confirm that I have been informed that it is Sarah's duty to inform social services if she feels that there is a risk of harm to my child - or something like that.

So it's written as a confirmation of information being shared rather than a permission to do something. They tick yes / no and sign at the bottom.

Hth :D

PixiePetal
06-01-2012, 08:51 AM
my policy says that small concerns and upsets can often be sorted with an out of hours chat and either party can call a short meeting but if any concerns are of a CP issue I have a duty of care to contact SS without parental permission as all childcare practitioners do if I see this as the way forward.

Parents sign to say they have read and understood policies and can keep hard copies if they so wish

nic t
06-01-2012, 09:43 AM
I don't have a permission form because if you need to make a referral to SS then you would do that regardless.

I have all of the info regarding referrals etc and what I would do if I suspect abuse in my Safeguarding policy and then parents sign to say that they have been given a copy of this policy.