PDA

View Full Version : CPR advice

sarah707
05-01-2012, 07:07 PM
I have had a few childminders asking about the new CPR guidance released by the British Heart Foundation.

If you haven't seen it you can follow the link from the BBC news article here -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16222183

The question I am being asked is – should we stop dong what we have been trained to do and follow the Vinny Jones guidance of chest compressions only?

I have done some research into the reasons behind the campaign – it is to raise awareness of heart conditions and to teach passers by how they can help to save a life.

However current guidance from Paediatric First Aid practitioners is do not change what you have been trained to do.

They are saying we should always use the CPR we were trained to give in our last First aid course…

But if we forget to give rescue breaths don’t panic, just carry on… any intervention is better than nothing!

Hth :D

christine e
05-01-2012, 07:12 PM
The video clip does say that the advice is for those who have not had first aid training

Cx

AliceK
05-01-2012, 07:20 PM
I heard about this a few days ago. They are trying to get more people to be less afraid to try and help so instead of people having to remember how many breaths and how many chest compressions they are saying to just do the compressions. It will hopefully make people more keen to try and help.
Obviously not us though as we have all had proper training and it's ingrained in our minds.
Hope it helps to save more lives.

xxxx

Playmate
05-01-2012, 07:34 PM
If you are doing it in a first aid situation, you just do your best and do what you rembember to do. When adrenaline kicks in you won't be thinking shall I do it this way or that you will just do it and it actually doesn't matter as long as you try something! As an ex CCU nurse who has performed resucitation more times than I care to remember, I can safely say that the teams I worked within did something different every time and you don't think about it whilst you are doing it! Harsh reality is nothing can get worse for that person, if what you remember to do helps thats fantastic, but it the person doesn't survive it won't be because you got it wrong! hth :D

Zoomie
05-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Our DW sent out an email 2 days ago, telling us to do as we were trained.

Advise given by BHF is for non-trained people.

Pipsqueak
05-01-2012, 08:11 PM
On our last first aid course (18months ago) this was the 'alternative' advice by our trainer..... even if you can't do the rescue breathes anymore or just not in the first place, you do the chest compressions to the tune of staying alive! Must admit it did help to practice them on the dummy singing staying alive lol

watgem
05-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Thank you Sarah I saw it on the news and was wondering what the position was

The Juggler
05-01-2012, 09:56 PM
On our last first aid course (18months ago) this was the 'alternative' advice by our trainer..... even if you can't do the rescue breathes anymore or just not in the first place, you do the chest compressions to the tune of staying alive! Must admit it did help to practice them on the dummy singing staying alive lol

us too. they told us if you can't remember numbers of each , then just do the chest and lift chin so airway is clear - that saves more lives than anything :)

john1213
27-06-2012, 01:35 PM
I have seen that someone is saying that now days you are not suppose to give mouth to mouth, that is only advised to people that have not done a CPR or first aid course, and all a sudden find themselves in a situation that they have to deal with.

The best way to administer CPR is by completing a course and learning the in's and out's properly. This technique is not a joke and should not be considered without proper training.

Have a look at the following company they do AGE medical recruitment and training. I have completed my training and keep myself up to date on a yearly basis.

<Note from admin - advertising removed. To advertise please contact the site owner>

TooEarlyForGin?
27-06-2012, 06:56 PM
We did ours to Nelly the Elephant. :D

Although staying alive makes more sense.

Bridey
27-06-2012, 06:59 PM
We did ours to Nelly the Elephant. :D

Although staying alive makes more sense.

I prefer Nelly the Elephant - much more cheery!

JCrakers
27-06-2012, 07:04 PM
I did my first aid in nov 2010 and was told to forget the breaths and just go straight onto chest compressions.
His scenario was an unknown person in town is unconscious, as you get down to his level you notice he has vomit around his mouth and face...would you really want to put your mouth round it? Probably not so just go into chest compressions. He was an a&e worker and said a lot of unconscious people vomit as they are coming round.

rickysmiths
27-06-2012, 07:42 PM
I was told on my course in November that we could do the breaths if we wanted to but they weren't necessary.

My dd is doing her course, did first last Sat and they have said yes do rescue breaths because if you don't there is no oxygen going into the system?

Rubybubbles
27-06-2012, 08:27 PM
I was told (feb 11) with children you do breaths as it is normally their breathing that stops and with adults their heart.

And nelly the elephant:)

Also I remember d'boss saying 5:32pm as in 5 breaths, 30 compression, 2 breaths ect easy to remember as past going home time;)

BucksCM
27-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Doing my 1st aid at the moment...just one more evening to go!
We have been told what most are saying here...if you have been trained then give the breaths first...BUT you can NOT do them if you feel you can't, blood/vomit etc around the mouth...on an adult.
On a child it is important to do the 5 rescue breaths first.

Bridey
27-06-2012, 08:37 PM
My dd is doing her course, did first last Sat and they have said yes do rescue breaths because if you don't there is no oxygen going into the system?

We breathe out a lower %'age of oxygen than we breathe in so there will still be oxygen in our systems :thumbsup:

Oh, and I carry a sachet containing a disposable face mask in my purse.

rickysmiths
27-06-2012, 09:09 PM
We breathe out a lower %'age of oxygen than we breathe in so there will still be oxygen in our systems :thumbsup:

Oh, and I carry a sachet containing a disposable face mask in my purse.

Well thats what I understood. Yes we all carry the masks.

fluff1975
27-06-2012, 09:15 PM
At my first aid in October 2010 & delivered by St John's Ambulance, we were told not to bother with rescue breaths either. Just go straight to chest compressions.

They've really slimmed down the cpr process to make it much easier to remeber but still as effective. Having done cpr years ago in hospital we always went straight to chest compressions. Forgetting rescue breaths won't make the situation worse!

littlecheeks
27-06-2012, 09:19 PM
i was always taught that it was more likely for a child to need cpr due to breathing problems (not always, but more likely) so thats why they still recommend 5 rescue breaths first with children, but adults are more likely due to heart problems, so compressions are more important. wish they made that clear on the vinnie advert. our first aid teacher slated that advert!