PDA

View Full Version : Signs / symptoms of something?

AliceK
05-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Hi
I'm just after your views on a mindees behaviour and wondering if you would be concerned. Something is ringing alarm bells with me but I'm not sure?

Mindee is 2.5 yrs
Mindee is incapable of sitting still for even a couple of minutes.
Mindee is always jumping around. What I mean is where another child would just walk, this mindee always jumps. Even if it's just going from one room into another mindee will be jumping around never just walking.
If asked to sit down and wait for a minute mindee will start writhing around on the floor. It's like mindee just cannot just be still and cannot walk "normally" but has to jump and leap around.

Is any of this anything to be concerned about do you think? I have never known a child behave like this ALL the time before. I would really appreciate your views.

xxxxx

The Juggler
05-01-2012, 10:37 AM
does sound a bit alarming. my dd is a bit like this and was from a young age. but not ALL the time, just most of it. Still is at nearly 10. She burns off so much energy that despite what she eats she is so skinny. However, she CAN concentrate when doing art, watching TV or at school. Just in transition or when not engaged in a purposeful activity she's chosen she is like this. Even during mealtimes. I have NEVER managed to get her to stop fidgeting at mealtimes and NEVER have we had a mealtime where she has not got up off her chair at least once to do a dance, run around - she is what I like to call - spirited (physically and in temperament :laughing:)

I would observe carefully just to see whether he has any 'down' time at all but I would maybe in the meantime ask mum if he is like this all the time with her. Then take the obs from there.

Helen79
05-01-2012, 10:43 AM
I would log it and just keep an eye on it for now. ds can't walk even if he's going from one room to another (about 5 steps) he's bouncing, running, skipping or crawling like a lion. I have to remind him constantly to walk as my flat's not big enough for charging about in but he just can't slow down.

AliceK
05-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Thanks Juggler.
Yes she is like this at home also.
When we are out she can't even walk along the road with me holding her hand she has to jump and leap. It makes it very difficult.

xxx

AliceK
05-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Thanks Helen. It's good to know its not uncommon then.
I'll log it all and keep an eye out :thumbsup:

xx

The Juggler
05-01-2012, 11:51 AM
she sounds just like my dd :laughing: (sorry I assumed mindee was a boy :blush:). I recommend to mum (and you) to read "how to raise your spirited child" if the child is really like this I guarantee it will ring a few bells. Is mindee also very emotional (big highs and low low lows)? do they hate seams in socks, hate when things don't go as expected or have trouble with transition (in and out of house or car)?

Its not expensive and gives you great insight into these children. Its a temperament thing unfortunately so can't be changed :panic::laughing: but gives you an insight into the child's mind and managing the behaviour:thumbsup:

EmmaReed84
05-01-2012, 12:04 PM
My son was EXACTLY the same and srill is to a degree, he is now 6... This playschool teachers noticed his attention was not what it should be, I was referred to a nursery nurse who came ans said he was fine. However he is now 6 and in year 1 at school and the teachers have said he is begining to stand out as he is STILL the same... We are currently trying to do calming activities, we found things that really grabbed his attention and built on that. He is still pretty bad though so will be trying fish oils, IF that doesnt help the next step will be the doctors as teacher said it could possibly ADD.

Perhaps talk to parent and see what the child is like else where and if it is just with you, find out what the child likes to do, what really gets attention and build on it for my son it was lego, before he just threw it about but he loved it and DH spent at least once a week with him just showing how to build simple structures, now he has the aged 8 stuff and can follow and build the most complicated things unaided.

blue bear
05-01-2012, 08:47 PM
I'd be logging concerns and doing detailed obs, also getting mum to write up her concerns. I would encourage mum to ask for a three years health visitor check as by then you should have built a picture from your obs/ concerns plus child will be at an age where you can measure how long they can concentrate.

It may just turn out to be the way she is but if there is something wrong and you can help getting early support it will be the best for the child.

mushpea
05-01-2012, 10:33 PM
sounds exactly like my son who is 11yrs and still cant sit without fidigiting or cant walk anywhere but hops, skips and jumps whilst carrying out a fighting scene as he goes,,, he has ADHD and I suspect aspergers,, not saying that your mindee could have these but it might be worth logging the behaviour and prehaps seeking advice from your network person or suggesting mum goes to health vistor after a few weeks of you both keeping a diary of his 'odd' behaviour, I new from very early on that my son was 'differernt' but it took untill he was 7yrs old for anyone to listen and 3 more years to get a diagnosis so he can get the help he needs.
I applogiese for my use of words but couldnt think of any other way of putting it.

AliceK
06-01-2012, 09:30 AM
sounds exactly like my son who is 11yrs and still cant sit without fidigiting or cant walk anywhere but hops, skips and jumps whilst carrying out a fighting scene as he goes,,, he has ADHD and I suspect aspergers,, not saying that your mindee could have these but it might be worth logging the behaviour and prehaps seeking advice from your network person or suggesting mum goes to health vistor after a few weeks of you both keeping a diary of his 'odd' behaviour, I new from very early on that my son was 'differernt' but it took untill he was 7yrs old for anyone to listen and 3 more years to get a diagnosis so he can get the help he needs.
I applogiese for my use of words but couldnt think of any other way of putting it.

Thank you. I think tbh this was more the way I was thinking especially as older sibling has this.
My problem is that mum is very closed to hearing anything "negative" about mindee. I have had very delicately put / gentle chats in the past but mum doesn't want to hear and refuses to deal with the behavioural difficulties this mindee also has which I suspect is all linked. Mum is dead set against HV's and although I know if she requested a 2yr check they would see her but her surgery don't do standard 2 yr checks but 3yrs instead. How do you think I should move on with this? I've been making observations and logging but don't know what to do with the information. Mindee will be starting pre-school in Sept, should I wait for them to pick up on something and speak to mum themselves as I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall most of the time :(

xxxxx

EmmaReed84
06-01-2012, 10:16 AM
I am new to CM but I would log things, obverse etc as you are doing. If you have contact with the playschool and have permission to discuss mindee with the key worker perhaps you could come up with something together.

Maybe if you work on a solution together on how to help you could speak to MUm and give her positive feedback like "today we did such and such with mindee and s/he really like this. We are thinking of progressing to that"

Dont know if that makes any sense. Sounds silly but when I was a manager and we had a "troublesome" employee rather than talk about a negative in the nagative manner, we would try to find some positives and build on that becasue no one likes to hear negative things about themselves or their children

peppa Pig
06-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Do you think mum will give you written permission to discuss your concerns with the senco that supports childminders in your area? This would be best as it would avoid mum needing to go to the h. V and the initial assessments could be done in your home and mum does nit have to attend initially if thus would be easier for her. You could say you just want to be sure there is nothing amiss and the senco will be able to confirm this.

If no permission given then you are a bit stuck as you can't force her, but maybe seek advice from d/o and or senco in an abstract sort of way.