PDA

View Full Version : Home Insurance

lisaw04
04-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Hi,
I am looking for some help/advise about home insurance. My insurance is due for renewal, but my current provider says I will not be covered for my business part, but not sure how they can seperate?? I wondered if anyone uses NCMA insurance - are they any good. Would I need to have 2 home insurances - one to cover my personal and one to cover my business??
Please help I am sooo confused???
Thank you.

tialil
04-01-2012, 11:37 PM
Hi I have home insurance with Nationwide and have one policy for the contents. We were with them before I became a childminder, I rung them up and they added the details. DH recently went for a mortgage review(I couldnt go due to work) and went through the house insurance whilst there and reminded them about the childminding and it was all still on file. They confirmed that all items that belong to us are covered for accidental damage should something get broken whilst working.

hth :)

tulip0803
05-01-2012, 02:04 AM
I have found that Churchill & Direct Line do not treat childminders any differently than "ordinary people". However Last year I went with Morton Michel as they gave me a fantastic quote :). Try those 3 as well as NCMA, I am sure that some other minders will have others for you to try.

You should not need two insurances but some insurance companies will not insure business equipment or give childminders accidental damage on buildings or contents:( because they view us as higher risk - Only claim I have ever made was due to DH ruining the entirely practical cream carpet that was here when we moved in by standing on my daughters play make up and walking it through the bedroom, landing (where he was putting a wardrobe together, every other step down stairs and then to the front door for the post where he turned and saw the lovley pinky-lilac mess!

AliceK
05-01-2012, 09:34 AM
I have my contents insurance with Co-op Insurance. Their pricing was good and they were happy to cover me as a childminder.

xxx

yummymummy
05-01-2012, 11:15 AM
I had the total opposite with Morton Michel when I called for a quote, they wanted to know sooo much and when they found out I had a hardwood front door with yale and mortice said they would not be able to find anyone to cover me as don't have 5 or 7 point lock like on a PVCu door. I gave up in the end and stuck with my old insurer as thought this was ridiculous.

crazyhazy
05-01-2012, 10:28 PM
I had a nightmare finding anyone to insure us for buildings and contents here, partly cos of the childminding and partly cos we have a flat roof so it's not standard construction. We did have insurance with kwikfit but when I became a childminder they said they could no longer insure us, eventually I had to let our financial advisor sort it out cos I was getting nowhere, can't remember who it;s with now but at renewal I will be shopping around a bit more cos it seems expensive compared to the old one.