PDA

View Full Version : Variations for under 5's

RuthJ
04-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Hi all

One of my parents is expecting a baby and has asked me to look after the new baby once her maternity leave finishes, as well as her other child who will be 3 when I start having his sibling. I already have a 2.5 year old of my own, and I mind a 6 month old, who will be 18 months by the time I start having the sibling. I have contacted my CSSIW inspector, as this will take me up to 4 under 5's. I have highlighted that there will only actually be a few hours in the day where all 4 under 5's will overlap due to early entitlement and nursery school.

My inspector got back to me today and said that the variation application cannot be considered at panel until 4 weeks before I want it to take effect :eek:. This doesn't leave the parent much security during maternity her maternity leave if she doesn't know if I'll be granted the variation. Is this the norm? Can someone tell me if you think this is likely to be agreed? I've only been childminding for 8 months and wonder if that would affect a decision.

Would be interested to hear if anyone has has success with applying for a varation for under 5's?

tulip0803
04-01-2012, 09:27 PM
It seems to depend on areas. At least your inspector is willing to put it before panel. It does seem that you do need to ask closer to the date required as lots of things can change in a year and you may not need the variation after all(hope that this does not happen though). Variations also need to have the name of the child/children that the variation is for which you cannot do with an unborn baby.

I live on the border between 2 CSSIW offices (although they are merging into one now) the other area has variations granted with no problems. My inspector is loathe to agree variations one minder asked for 45 mins one day a week for 2 months as she minded the sibling and was told "we don't do variations. It is not your problem to sort parent's childcare out.":eek:. The childminder mentioned that 5 miles away whole days/weeks had been agreed on variations. She got it with a week to go. The inspector has since given another minder a variation for an under 5 at school. I am hoping that this bodes well for my potential request in April which is for the same reason as yours but my parent is a shift worker so will only mean 2-3 times a month at most.

Good luck

manjay
05-01-2012, 12:57 PM
This absolutely shouldn't depend on where you live:rolleyes:. CSSIW are being put under increasing pressure to apply the same standards across the country. Your situation appears to fulfil the criteria for a variation but as Tulip says anything could change between now and the time you need it so CSSIW will be loathe to put resources into processing a variation that may not be needed. I would complete the paperwork and apply a few months before it is needed. As it is for continuity of care for siblings and not to take on a new family there really shouldn't be any reason why they would decline (and if they did I would strongly contest it). Complete the forms in as much detail as possible covering all eventualities and they way you will manage with 4 under 5's.

On a positive I posted a variation application on Monday 19th December and my Inspector rang me the next day to say it had been granted:D. For whatever reason mine did not need to go before a panel and they were able to agree it immediately. I received a letter of confirmation the next day.

Good luck and be prepared to fight your cause if you need to:thumbsup:

RuthJ
06-01-2012, 07:09 AM
Thanks for your replies. I'm in North Wales and not yet familiar with how the CSSIW work! I guess I will just have to wait but glad I can give the parent some reassurance that there shouldn't be a problem.

Hope your variation goes through ok, Tulip. Congrats on yours Manjay!

manjay
06-01-2012, 08:31 AM
I am in North Wales too so your inspector is probably based in Llandudno like mine.

If you have any problems with it I am always happy to help

amanda x

RuthJ
06-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Thank you, that's good to know :) Yes, Llandudno too.

It won't be for a while now, probably the end of the year but will keep you posted - thanks so much x