PDA

View Full Version : Do we Have to have stairgates?

AliceK
03-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Hi
As the title says really. Is it a requirement to have a stairgate? I have always had one at the bottom but took it down for the Xmas holidays and really don't want to put it back. My little EY mindees are 2.5 and 2yrs and then I have one which is 20mths on 1 day a week. Can I leave it down and RA the children to see if they really need it. I'm pretty sure they don't but would Ofsted frown upon me not having one?

xxx

Pipsqueak
03-01-2012, 04:53 PM
No you don't need one, same as you don't need a fireguard for instance.

What you DO have to do is demonstrate how you will keep children safe alternatively.

AliceK
03-01-2012, 05:02 PM
No you don't need one, same as you don't need a fireguard for instance.

What you DO have to do is demonstrate how you will keep children safe alternatively.

So if I were to tell children not to go on the stairs and then RA them, observe them etc and then obviously if 1 could not be trusted then I could always put it back up in a few minutes would that be OK? I'm pretty sure if they're told not to go on to the stairs then they wouldn't but then you never know I guess :rolleyes:

xxxx

sarah707
03-01-2012, 05:49 PM
I have always had a gate during working hours because I can't see my stairs so when I did my RA I realised that there was no way I could monitor all the children all the time... especially when doing nappies or in the loo.

However if you are in the position where you can see them all the time if they go near the stairs then your RA will show that and I would say you probably won't need a gate.

You need to think through different scenarios though such as children inside when you are in the garden, children who are allowed to play on the stairs at home and forget where they are etc.

If you don't have a gate I would also say you need a more thorough upstairs RA showing how you keep children safe on a daily basis if they were to go into bedrooms / bathroom etc.

Hth :D