PDA

View Full Version : 11 month old can't settle!

Busybees
03-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Hi all,
Looking for some advice really, I have an 11 month old girl who cries if she is put down to play, left in the room or if I stand or move away from her and if any other child approaches her or me! She has been with me for 7 weeks now with no improvement, it's getting to the point of effecting the other kids and I'm worn out! She will only sleep for 20mins at a time and has to be rocked to sleep in the pram.
Any advice would be greatly recieved! She is like this at home aswell as with me! Her parents have said they have stopped pampering to her and carting her around everywhere with them now as iv explained how she is here.
There is nothing wrong wit her it's more a scream/moan than cry.
Thank you in advance! Kim x

sillysausage
03-01-2012, 02:32 PM
talk talk talk to her all the time about everything, what you are doing, what you are playing with, what you are eating, what the other children are doing. Tell her you need to put her down whilst you do whatever and continue to talk reassuringly to her whilst you are doing whatever it was. Go back to her and tell her you've finished so she can have another cuddle now.
Even at 11 months children understand quite a bit. The more you talk to them the more they will understand and the longer the time can go before you pick her up again.
If you put her down and ignore her she won't know what to expect...will you be back in a minute or an hour? hence the screaming it's her way of saying 'don't forget me!!!'

The Juggler
03-01-2012, 02:46 PM
i agree with above. good that mum and dad are on board now. yes there is nothing physically wrong with her but emotionally she will probably be all over the place.

talking is the key. lots of cuddles but keep strong with the not carrying everywhere. you can't physically do this with other mindees around. Pick up for a cuddle put back down.

Is mindee mobile if so, tell them where you are going, tell her to come along, then go very slowly if walking away so they can follow you. before you move a muscle (if you are sat with her) prepare her, tell her you are moving, where you are going. I know it's over the top but it works (well usually). My baby who was like this is much better now. still screams if I move away from her sometimes but she is reassured much more quickly.

good luck hon. hope it improves. however, I'd speak to mum and dad and set a time limit - there is only so much you can take of this when you are working alone.:(