PDA

View Full Version : Accident/incident sheets

Mouse
03-01-2012, 12:25 PM
You can tell it's a new year as I'm reviewing all my paperwork :laughing:

So, accident/incident sheets. Do they all have to be in one folder, or can they be individual sheets in each child's folder?
At the moment I have a book. I write accidents in (thankfully not many!), then give a copy to the parents and put a copy in the child's folder.

I am thinking of just doing a copy for parents & one for the child's folder, leaving out the book that has them all in.

Is this OK with Ofsted, or do I need to have all accidents recorded in one place?

Similarly, can I just do a medicine permission form for the individual folders? At the mo I have a book for all of them, then put copies in the folders.

I need help to cut down on the amount of repeated paperwork I have :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
03-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Sorry Mouse I can't help with this one because i have always used the NCMA books and now folder. I then put the childrens sheets in their folder when they leave and store them.

I see you are graded outstanding so why do you need to change the basics of what you do? Ofsted were obviously very happy with your paperwork.

Mouse
03-01-2012, 12:39 PM

I see you are graded outstanding so why do you need to change the basics of what you do? Ofsted were obviously very happy with your paperwork.

Continual progression & self improvement! I'm always looking for a better way of doing what I already do well :thumbsup: I also get bored & like change :blush:
I was last inspected just after EYFS had come into force and had mountains of paperwork to cover every eventuality. My paperwork was very good, but way over the top. I want to pare it down to the bare minimum, but because I've done it the same way for so long, I'm not sure what current thinking is and what is actually necessary & what i do out of habit.

With my cutbacks in paperwork I'm planning on saving a couple of trees at least!

uf353432
03-01-2012, 12:40 PM
I use a duplicate book to record the information for me and the parents . Get parent to sign and give them a copy and the other goes into child folder. I don't link storing them in a central book - beause of confidentiality.

rickysmiths
03-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Continual progression & self improvement! I'm always looking for a better way of doing what I already do well :thumbsup: I also get bored & like change :blush:
I was last inspected just after EYFS had come into force and had mountains of paperwork to cover every eventuality. My paperwork was very good, but way over the top. I want to pare it down to the bare minimum, but because I've done it the same way for so long, I'm not sure what current thinking is and what is actually necessary & what i do out of habit.

With my cutbacks in paperwork I'm planning on saving a couple of trees at least!

I know what you mean! What can I say, I use the NCMA folder. It has a separate section for each child, the sheets are self duplicating so as soon as the parent has signed you can tear out their copy. I find them very simple to us and it keeps it all in one place until the child leaves and then I just take out their sheets and store them in their folder.

Penny1959
03-01-2012, 01:15 PM
You do not have to have a 'special' book and it is ok to just put in child's folder - provided confidential. I used to do seperate sheets and completed ones went in the folders with the contracts etc. What you do need to ensure is that parents have been told and have signed to say been told about accidents / incidents - and that medication been given. Remember you also need parents to sign to say they agree to you giving a particular medication before you give it for the first time.

Ofsted do a fact sheet on giving medication - and the 'rules' about records

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-giving-medication-children-registered-childcare

Penny :)

AliceK
03-01-2012, 01:21 PM
I fill out an accident or incident form, get parent to sign and then Accident forms are put into individual childs folder but I have a central file for Incident forms although I have only ever filled out 2 of those!!
Not saying what I do is right though?

xxxx

sarah707
03-01-2012, 06:07 PM
I fill in the form, photocopy for the parent and file in the child's folder :D

miffy
03-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Accident and incident forms I keep together in one folder in date order. I only photocopy for parents if they request it or if it is a head injury.

Medication permission forms and existing injury forms I keep in each child's individual folders.

Miffy xx