PDA

View Full Version : Fostering?

samkeddy
03-01-2012, 11:58 AM
I know very little about fostering (other than a few cathy glass books) and just wondering if anyone knows anything, done it themselves? not done it for any reason? been through the application process? etc etc??

Thanks x

breezy
03-01-2012, 12:11 PM
From what I remember Monkey looked into it, might be worth messaging her:)

samkeddy
03-01-2012, 12:37 PM
ok thank you x

samkeddy
03-01-2012, 12:53 PM
found this thread which seemed to be what i was looking for, so sorry to everyone that commented on it for asking again x

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=39094&highlight=fostering

CreativeJourney
03-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Hi, I maybe able to help, my parents are foster carers and have been for the last 17 years (12 of those I lived at home whilst they did it and grew up surrounded by foster care, foster children, social workers etc etc. It was and still is very hard work however very rewarding. My husband and I began the application process however stopped for reasons including me becoming pregnant and us having a slight disagreement with the social worker!! However I would put money on I will do it at some point in my lifetime...its in my blood!
Feel free to shoot any questions at me!

smurfette
03-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Me too! My parents fostered over 80 kids from when I was 2 until about 20... I loved it and think it has helped shape who I am today so much so that I also went into social care and worked in children's homes. My brother though would say it was a negative experience and we lost out but then he is a kind of the world owes me a living type person (anyway or because of this I don't know!) the positives were we always had someone to play with and no two weeks were the same loved the constant novelty of someone new to help settle in all the time! My parents always made us feel very invaluable said we were great helping everyone settle in and they couldn't do it without it. Negatives were a loss of innocence (have vivid memories of a girl who had been sexually abused giving me the details) and sometimes our stuff got broken or stolen plus sometimes yes they were very preoccupied (locked myself in the bathroom by mistake one day and mum was talking to a social worker downstairs and she ripped a strip off me when she was gone for banging but then was mortified she had ignored me!) but seriously sometimes there were times when I needed to talk to them and didn't get what I needed. On the whole
Very positive and I dont regret them doing it .. We fostered ourselves
For 6 months but it was a teenager who although was
Very well behaved was difficult to handle in conjunction with toddlers.. And we weren't old enough to be his parents! So my advice would be sure give t a go .. But only look after kids younger than yours if you have any and you can as you will have experience and wont be so threatening to your own kids. It is something I know we will go back to when ours
Are older!!

samkeddy
04-01-2012, 09:14 AM
thanks so much for replying both of you, im so glad you both talk positivly about it, taking your advice i think i would need to wait a while as my children are young so i dont have much experience really, plus their time is precious at the moment but maybe when their both in school i will come back to the idea x
Really appreciate your help x