PDA

View Full Version : activity idea please

julie w
03-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Hi I have an NVQ 3 assessor coming soon to watch me do an activity with the children. The first part is ok, ie preparing a healthy snack with the children. However I also have to do some sort of exercise activity with them where they become aware of the changes in their body when they exercise eg breathing, heartrate etc. This is where I am stuck. I have 2 one year olds and 2 two year olds (variation). Firstly I feel really embarrassed at the thought of doing any kind of singing/dancing myself in front of the assessor.Secondly I'm not sure how to make the children show they are aware of bodily changes at this age. And what exactly should I do with the children.:panic:Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. ps Happy New Year xx

emile1973
03-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Hello. I used to be an assessor before childminding.
When I went to observe I used to find that I would get the most info. from simple activities and lots of interaction such as conversation and holding hands etc.
I think songs that use actions would be great and show the level of awareness of theirs and others bodies. You could try heads shoulders,knees and toes. Before ask the children to show you eyes etc. ring a roses. Kneel down with yr back to the assessor so you don't feel so embarrassed at singing and her watching you. Play music if you feel more comfortable and say the main words eg heads etc
Maybe have doctors set out and use stethoscope and talk about breathing and listening. Then say it gets faster after running etc and then do yr singing or rhyme activity. Little ones are showing awareness just by joining in and putting their hand on tummy etc to see breathing. Keep it simple. She won't expect elaborate activity.

Hand washing with the children would go down well, she will get lots from this.
Let us know how you get on

Emma x

julie w
03-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Hello. I used to be an assessor before childminding.
When I went to observe I used to find that I would get the most info. from simple activities and lots of interaction such as conversation and holding hands etc.
I think songs that use actions would be great and show the level of awareness of theirs and others bodies. You could try heads shoulders,knees and toes. Before ask the children to show you eyes etc. ring a roses. Kneel down with yr back to the assessor so you don't feel so embarrassed at singing and her watching you. Play music if you feel more comfortable and say the main words eg heads etc
Maybe have doctors set out and use stethoscope and talk about breathing and listening. Then say it gets faster after running etc and then do yr singing or rhyme activity. Little ones are showing awareness just by joining in and putting their hand on tummy etc to see breathing. Keep it simple. She won't expect elaborate activity.

Hand washing with the children would go down well, she will get lots from this.
Let us know how you get on

Emma x

Thank you so much Emma, you have really helped me xx

emile1973
03-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Thank you so much Emma, you have really helped me xx

No problem....just do what we do best xx

Let me know if anything else for yr course comes up x