PDA

View Full Version : Car seats

spellingm30
02-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Hi,
I have a potential parent coming to see me later this week with an enquiry to look after her 2 and 5yr old.
My query is concerned with car seats. Our car can accomodate two seats in the back ( one for my 10month old) -I am confused if I am allowed a car seat in the front if I switch off the air bags. I have read some of the advise leaflets I have been given, but there doesnt seemt to be a definitive answer. does any one else drive with a child in car seat in the front with the air bags switched off?? any help and advise appreciated....otherwise looks like we may need a new car which I really would rather avoid.

breezy
02-01-2012, 04:53 PM
I cant turn my airbag off so dont use front seat :(

Pipsqueak
02-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Yes you can have a child under the age of 12) in the front seat in the correct restraints - its only recommended that a child does not go in the front (as its not the safest place) particuarly if an airbag is used.

If you do have to put a child in the front (NEVER a rear facing seat/child with airbag) - then you position the seat back as far as it will go.

check with your insurance company about the validity of turning of your airbag - re continous cover etc.

QualityCare
02-01-2012, 05:27 PM
As l have a 7 seater l don't need to but if l have a loan car l will as long as the air bag is turned off and l have informed the parents, l wouldn't on a regular basis as l don't consider it safe but lots of parents do have young children in the front.

christine e
02-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Here is some information about children in front seats where there are airbags
http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/choosing/airbags.htm

Cx

spellingm30
02-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Thank you for all your advice. I am very reluctant to go down the route of using the front seat for a young one. Agree I will need to check with the insurance company too..thats good point.
Big dilemma now, not sure how I'm going to resolve this one