PDA

View Full Version : Just brought a puppy

CreativeJourney
02-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Hi all,

I have just brought a puppy (all my parents gave permission and were actually very thrilled as it saved them getting one!!) but just have some questions as I'm writing my policy and I heard different things of different people?

Where do the food/water bowls need to be kept?
Do they have to lifted off floor during child minding hours?
What else needs to be included in policy other than hygiene, treatment of pets, vaccinations?
Also I'm assuming I need to do a risk assessment, what should be included on this?
Thanks

miss mopple
02-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Congratulations :clapping: Ive never looked back since getting my pups :)

Food and water bowls should be out of reach of mindees at all times.

RA- all the things you have mentioned, think about how you will handle the dog when out walking to ensure safety of the children. Health and hygeine as you say.How you will ensure the garden is waste free etc

Are you crate training? I would recommend it as puppies need a safe haven from the kids sometimes. Mine love their crates :thumbsup:

CreativeJourney
04-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Hi thanks for you reply.
The puppy and the bowls stay in the hall way (just whilst were dealing with toileting. The only time the children walk past the bowls is on the way from the play room to the front door. Do they still need to be lifted? All my mindees are 2 and half years plus and havnt bothered with the bowls...it drives me mad they everything has to be removed from their reach...when do we expect them to follow an instruction and not do something and begin to be independant if we remove all barriers...ahhh...sorry!

Thanks for your advice about crate training, Id never heard of it before!