PDA

View Full Version : scrapbook?

jadavi
02-01-2012, 10:29 AM
I'm turning more and more to scrap books for the LJ than loose leaf and wondered if people had a favourite one they use? A number of thin ones or a fat one? Where from? Price?

This is because the reception teacher who is using me soon says this this what they use at her school as children can turn pages easily. She has requested it for her son and I'm fine to try it to make the LJ less Osted oriented and more parent....
It will mean less of the template forms will be used for obs and next steps etc but I will just use paragraphs and highllight dots instead for EYFS instead of boxes. It will also mean my handwriting will be put to the test....

I'm also planning to use a diary for everything else which is also hand written so t'll be a nice cutting down on my IT time. The paperwork generated by different forms last term was just silly not to mention the different files they all went in...

Any thoughts on this?

Not meraning to judge other people's methods - just trying to find what feels right for me - so far- less plastic(laminated sheets) and less forms/templates and now maybe less typed print...

ja

loopyloopy
02-01-2012, 11:08 AM
I get cheap ones from wilkos, about 79p and has different coloured pages in it and then stick los master pieces in :D

I do have a seperate home made file for their lj's though

rickysmiths
02-01-2012, 01:16 PM
I use A4 Plain paged Exercise books from Rymans they cost under £1 and have 40 pages in. I fill them out in the form of a diary written from the childs point of view. I put a lot of photos with anecdotes and do a monthly ob with next steps. I use the NCMA EYFS stickers to show which areas of learning the activities etc fall into. I haven't filled a book yet and the longest I have had a child in EYFS is 3 years. Ofsted in Sept loved the LJs

I put a short explanation of the EYFS in the beginning of the scrapbook with the stickers so the parents can follow what their child is doing.

blue bear
02-01-2012, 01:56 PM
For years I have used the spiral bound scrap books from whsmith, not cheap but are lovely and thick and children can handle them. However a new child brought their lj from nursery to share with me and I have switched over to using the display books (got mine in tesco) they are like plastic wallets but not ring binders, I like them better because they are more durable, children don't accidentally rip things out and younger ones can dribble all over them. The older children put in their own creations and like the fact they just slip in no glue. you can buy different sizes (number of pages) depending if child is full time or just after school.

loocyloo
02-01-2012, 03:04 PM
I get cheap ones from wilkos, about 79p and has different coloured pages in it and then stick los master pieces in :D

i use wilkies ones too. i put everything in them, artwork, photos, obs, 'wow' moments, plans etc.

each time we start a new scrapbook, the child it is for does a picture which i stick on the front, and then cover in clear sticky back plastic.

jadavi
02-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Thanks everyone - really helpful as ever :)

green puppy
02-01-2012, 08:02 PM
I use these ones, they are abit more expensive but lovely!
http://www.southfield-stationers.co.uk/gallery/product.php?product=997

Bluebell
02-01-2012, 08:57 PM
I used to do a scrapbook with lots of different bits - a bit like a diary of the childs day with observations relating to the EYFS if necessary. I was too cheap to buy the NCMA stickers relating to each area so designed my own and bought a sticker maker. I put works of art in too and printed out photos. I was really reluctant to share this with parents until they were complete in case they got lost. It was also quite time consuming and expensive to print out photos.

So Instead what I do now - i type up the update on the computer, which is a little less personal, but I paste in the photos and my images relating to the EYFS areas which I highlight. I e-mail this to the parents so they get an update of the childs day and then I print it out for the child's book. When the book is full I pass it on to the parents although I'm due my Ofsted soon so perhaps should have hung on to them!!

I would say mine is definitely more parent orientated than Ofsted orientated but try and highlight EYFS areas as and when.

jadavi
03-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks We dont have a Wilkos so I googled it and found this

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/bin/venda?ex=co_wizr-locayta&collate=price&collate=pdxttype&collate=pdxtcolourn&collate=pdxtbrandn&collate=pdxtsizen&collate=pdxtpowern&collate=pdxtcapacityn&termtextkeywordsearch=scrapbookj&typekeywordsearch=keyword&fieldrtype=type&termtextrtype=invt&typertype=exact&termorder=keywordsearch%3Artype&template=wz_locayta&pagenum=2&perpage=10&threshold=0&spellcorrect=1&datasource=wilkinsonplusen&setsortorder=price,name&setsortprice=ascending&setsortrelease=&setpagenum=1

but I'm guessing its not the riht one as its £3? Is it the Wilkinsons shop?

Also do you use A4 or A3 size?
The one at the Post Office looked OK Have you seen those?

Not so keen on spiral bound as they look too floppy for kids....

Thanks, as ever,
ja