PDA

View Full Version : child safety locks

lucyD
27-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Just need advice really on what is best. What Ofsted will require as well. Thinking of magnetic cupboard locks but do I need drawer locks if there are only tea towels in them for example or does everything have to be really safe for trapped fingers etc What is best & will I need stairgate at kitchen door if I have locks on? thanks:)

Rosy Days
27-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Hi there, I only have door locks on doors and drawers that have unsafe items in such as cleaning products, knives/forks etc. I don't have a gate on my kitchen, mine is on my lounge door so children can't get into the hall/stairs or kitchen. It all depends on the layout of your house really and how safe the children would be without gates on certain doors. :)

onceinabluemoon
28-12-2011, 07:06 AM
I don't have any locks on anything in my kitchen BUT the children are not allowed in there without me (I have a safety gate across the door to prevent access).
When Ofsted came I explained to them that if I had locks on my son (who has dyspraxia) would not be able to open the cupboards in his own home and that was unacceptable as every child matters not just the minded ones (and yes that is exactly what I said, lol). She said we don't have to have locks, we have to keep the children safe and it's up to us how we do it. It's weird but I think she actually liked the way I 'stood up for' my son and his rights as well as kept the kiddies safe.

sharonmanc
28-12-2011, 09:57 AM
I have put them on some and not others, just the ones i dont want the children in, like my medicine cupboard and also where i keep cleaning bits

lucyD
07-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Thank you for your replies, have got some magnetic ones which are fab! Not going to have a stairgate as everything is safe & they wouldn't be in there without me anyway! Was just concerned about trapped fingers but guess they have to learn. If its your own I wouldn't worry so much but with other children you want to keep the parents happy too! :)

rickysmiths
07-01-2012, 07:22 PM
I had a new kitchen last year and refused to have any locks or catches on any of the new cupboards or drawers. I have RA the kitchen/dining room which is open plan and where I have 2 1970s Teak side boards, which I also refuse to put locks on the doors and drawers. I have glass and china in various drawers and cupboards. The knives are in a knife block at the back of the work surface which is deeper than normal so well out of reach. I am lucky enough to have a separate Utility room where all the cleaning stuff is kept and I do have a self adhesive door alarm on the door.

The children are never un supervised in the kitchen/diner and when I was inspected in Sept. ofsted were more than happy and thought my RAs were excellent. It goes to show you don't have to lock down the house if you are a cm.

I have also never had locks on medicine cabinets they are just located out of reach or sight.

PixiePetal
07-01-2012, 08:11 PM
I don't have many locks - I have one on my sideboard in the dining room - kids have to go through here and utility to get to loo. I had sideboard in the sitting room of old house, where they played. I keep my alcohol in there and it is a low door so best I keep it for myself!

Kitchen has one on the undersink cupboard and kids need to go through kitchen to get to loo too, other things are in utility in high cupboards.

Mindees are young at the moment so are constantly supervised - I don't always lock undersink magnetic one as it is a pain!