PDA

View Full Version : Should we be concerned?

Lookforwards
24-12-2011, 09:16 AM
Hello

I'm a parent and we've recently started using the services of a childminder.

I'm a little concerned, because although I know the childminder is registered with Ofsted, she has not completed any paperwork saying to us that it was not necessary.

I thought that at your first meeting a childminder should complete an Ofsted registration form for the parents to sign that contains information about the child? Also she should show us a copy of her registration document and liability insurance?

Since none of the above has not been done, does that mean my child is not insured whilst in the childminder's care, and are there any other implications?

Thanks for your advice

John

Pauline
24-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Hi John

Welcome to the Forum. :)

You are right to be concerned, the childminder should be showing you these documents but it does not necessarily mean she is not insured, it could be she is new to childminding and isn't fully understanding what she should be doing.

Did you ask to see her insurance? If you did and she was reluctant then I would make no arrangements for care until you are fully satisfied.

Perhaps you could tell her that you understand she should have paperwork, such as child record forms.

It is a legal requirement that a childminder has at least the full name, address and contact details of parents, date of birth of childand any health/medication requirements.

For EYFS they should be collecting details of the child and getting information from parents on starting points (e.g. what the child's current development stage is) although some of that can come later once you are signed up.

How did you feel when you met the childminder? Do you think if all the paperwork was in order you would be happy to go to them? If yes, then I would pursue the paperwork and see what she says.

If no, then I would leave it and try to find someone else.

Hope that helps :)

Pauline
24-12-2011, 09:35 AM
Sorry John, I've just re-read your post, I think you are already using the childminder, am I right? (My Christmas Eve brain is not in gear!!)

If so then I would certainly be asking to see insurance documents before leaving your child with them again, it is too big a risk not to find out.

Lookforwards
24-12-2011, 09:50 AM
Hi Pauline,

Thanks for your advice.

We are already using the childminder, but will ask her to complete the paperwork at our next meeting in the New Year.

Is it called the Ofsted child record form, which is a legal requirement? The one that contains the details of the child, dietary requirements and emergency contact numbers etc.

We did have a childminder a few years ago, and I seem to remember that we signed a form and the childminder provided us with a copy?

Best wishes
John

Pauline
24-12-2011, 10:14 AM
It is not an Ofsted form John but yes it is called The Child Record Form, the childminder should have either something they have made themselves or preferable one they have bought from either NCMA or Morton Michel, these are the main insurance providers and they also sell other forms of paperwork to ensure that all the wording is correct and the information that needs to be gathered is all covered.

However, like I say we don't have to use those, we can make our own, but it must include all the required information. :)

Pauline
24-12-2011, 10:16 AM
It is also very rare not to have some kind of contract, these should detail what you have agreed regarding fees, what you supply (eg nappies) what food the childminder will provide etc.

It is more or less everything written down to ensure that there is no misunderstanding on what each party expects.

These also cover you and the childminder if there is any dispute over payment so you should have a copy too.

caz3007
24-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Hi John

The child record form can just be one the childminder has made up and printed herself, but she should have details such as childs name, address, date of birth and doctors details, parents and emergency contact numbers on a form.

There should also be some sort of contract in place stating times, amounts and then details of holiday payments etc. This would be to protect both parties.

Lookforwards
24-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks for your replies :)

If I'm understanding this properly, we need to have a contract and child record form, otherwise the childminder's liability insurance will not properly cover my child?

Since the insurance companies provide these forms, it would seem to be an obvious conclusion?

Best Wishes
John

sarah707
24-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Hi John, some might say the insurance companies provide these forms to make money!

While it is a requirement to use a contract supplied by NCMA if you (as a childminder) are insured with NCMA and want support from them in the event of a problem occurring, there is no other legal requirement to use documents produced by the insurance providers.

Many childminders use their own forms, designed and printed for their own businesses. We are self employed and as such are free to decide what we need to use to ensure we meet the requirements of the Eyfs.

I hope this clarifies :D

Kiddleywinks
24-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Hi John

Good advice so far, however, as a parent I would be concerned that there has been no contract signed.
You say you know your minder is ofsted registered, have you double checked?
Also, have you received and agreed to her policies and procedures?

Good luck and hope everything is soon in order

Pauline
24-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Also, have you received and agreed to her policies and procedures?

Good point Chrissie, yes there are also some required policies and procedures that the childminder must have and share with you.

sophia36
24-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Hi John,
I always do contracts as soon as a new family start with me. I have a trial peiod of a month where either party can pull out if things aren't working out.

You should also have signed a form to say that you give your permission for emergency medical treatment, photographs to be taken and permission to travel in her car.

It seems a little concerning to me that you have not signed and received copies. Your childminder should have asked you to fill in a form with full name, date of birth, address, contact details for yourself and i personally also include doctors name, address and phone number. Also details of any known medical conditions, allergies ect. It seems a little over the top but i like to have all the details to hand in case of an emergency.
She should have shown you her ofsted registration document and insurance details. It may be an idea to ask her for a copy of her ofsted inspection report or at the very least her EY number so you can look online.
I always hand out an information pack to new parents including copies of all the above as well as permission forms to administer medication, suncream, teething gel etc and a copy of my policies
Your childminder should be more than happy to answer your questions. If she isn't i would look for alternative care. Good luck

rickysmiths
24-12-2011, 12:54 PM
She also has to give you a copy of her most recent Ofsted Inspection Report to comply with her Conditions of registration with Ofsted.

I give my new parents a folder with:

Ofsted report
Copy of registration Cert
Copy of Insurance Cert
Copy of First Aid Cert
Copy of all my Policies
Copy of Complaints procedure
Copy of Contract
Copy of the Child Info Form
Copy of Parental Responsibility Form
A brochure about EYFS

She should have her Registration Cert on display in her house.
I would also ask to have a look at her Risk assessments to make sure she is doing them.

Lookforwards
24-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Hello

At the first meeting she did briefly go through her policies on

Sickness of child or childminder
Lost Child
Drug & Alcohol Policy (zero tolerance)
Uncollected Child
Fire evacuation
Safeguarding Policy

However there was no paperwork. At no time were we asked to complete a contract or child record form, so we have signed no documentation.

I have checked and the childminder is registered with Ofsted, but I have not seen her insurance policy or first aid certificate.

It all sounds quite unsatisfactory doesn't it!

Regards
John

gigglinggoblin
24-12-2011, 01:12 PM
If I were you I would call her after Christmas to clarify a few things. It might be that she is willfully neglecting these things or it might be an oversight. Paperwork is not the most important part of childminding and she might be amazing with the children but rubbish at the business side. That doesnt make it ok, but you may be better to ask rather than make a decision before speaking to her.

I would have shown you my file with copies of my insurance documents, training certificates including first aid and safeguarding and policies. I would have asked you to sign a contract and permission forms (for just about everything under the sun) and I would have given you a child information sheet - I do not use NCMA ones because imo they are overpriced and unnecessary, my form has everything necessary and more (so please dont base any decisions on whether or not we spend money buying our paperwork or print our own).

On the plus side if you havent signed a contract you dont have a notice period to pay for so if after you speak to her you are not happy you can just walk away, the contract is partly to stop that happening. I wouldnt leave it until the last minute before you need childcare and I wouldnt leave my child with someone I didnt trust. I think this would be a much better conversation face to face if you can do that.

Goatgirl
24-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Hi :),
I don't think the childminder is obliged to show you her insurance certificate or first aid certificate unless you request to see them.
She does have to hold child records but there is no specific requirement for the method she uses to collect or record these details.
If you are uneasy, the best thing would be to tell her exactly that. Say what your concerns are and ask in a friendly manner to see any relevant paperwork.

I hope your concerns can be allayed amicably.

Best wishes,
Wendy :)

PixiePetal
24-12-2011, 03:11 PM
A good CM who cares about her career, the families and children would be happy to show you first aid certificate and insurance documents.

It may be all in order but if they are unwilling to share I would be bothered about lack of communication and not find it a good relationship.

I have a welcome pack for new parents and further policies and forms if parents choose me. I would have no problem sharing info with parents

The child record form of some description is a requirement from Ofsted as is insurance

JCrakers
24-12-2011, 06:03 PM
I would definitly get a contract sorted out otherwise you may turn up one morning and the childminder has no obligation to have your child, leaving you without childcare at short notice. Without a contract she could withdraw at any time.

Yes , we do care for children but also the otherside of the job is also important. Some paperwork is a requirement and MUST be completed. Some of the other paperwork may feel a bit OTT but is needed.
Hope you get it sorted soon. Like others have said she may be fantastic with the children, which is great but the paperwork needs to be completed not only for you but for her also.
I'm surprised because some of the paperwork we have to complete is to keep ourselves safe and if something was to happen we could be in a lot of trouble. Permission forms come to mind.

(What am I doing on here on Xmas Eve...lol) I am obsessed with work.... :panic:
Hope you sort it

jojobell
24-12-2011, 06:47 PM
hiya,, wont coment too much as advice is great,, also she should actualy have her certificate on display and you are quite right to think yo should of filled out child record forms, emergency contact forms and cntracts............ also you have the right to ask to see this paper work as legaly it should be in place! also if your child is in eyfs (0-5) you have the right to see a learning journery she should be making