PDA

View Full Version : that told me

TRACEY1969
22-12-2011, 09:00 AM
ok i will try and keep this short, i have had this mindee since he was 7 months old and he is just over 3 1/2 years. He is still in nappies and goes to speach theropy and has just started a private nursery the days i dont mind for him. I heard off another minder that he is SEN she was told off her DO but i wasnt told this. I thought he needed some help in areas and the nursey even said he needs some some one to one. Anyway the manager of DO rung me up because i needed to now what information i should know about mindee because other people know more than me. She said if the parents dont tell me its none of my business:eek: . She also stated that i shouldnt even mention he needs special needs because i am not qualifed in that area and that i was out of order mentioning it at all. I was so upset after the phone call am i just a baby sitter then who feeds them and sends them home. The nursery feels the same way as i do. Mindee came yesterday in pants and wee everywhere i was fed up of cleaning he shows no expression signs at all when he does this and i do put him on the toilet/potty every 20 mins. Any advise please

catminder
22-12-2011, 09:30 AM
I would approach his parents and ask if there are any special requirements for caring for their son. You could also mention any concerns you have and also explain to the parents about sharing information with other settings. If they sign to say they give permission for you to do this then I can't see the nursery objecting to sharing information with you either. But I'm sure the parents will be able to explain their son's needs so you shouldn't have to rely on the nursery. Hope it all goes well :thumbsup:

sarah707
22-12-2011, 09:51 AM
What on earth happened to working in partnership? I would be very cross to be spoken to like that :(

You need to speak to parents urgently - organise a proper meeting rather than doorstep chats and discuss how you can support the child.

You also need to dust off your toilet training policy which should state that a child must be reliably trained and able to request the toilet and able to wait a few minutes in case you are busy BEFORE arriving in pants!!

Hth :D

TRACEY1969
22-12-2011, 03:19 PM
i spoke to the parents in July before he started his private nursery in Sept and they both disagreed with me regarding getting more help for him, i did however push for speach therophy which he has now got. What can i do regarding the toileting issue if the nursery are going to take him in pants i cant turn round and say no in my setting, even though the nursery and i have the same policy about starting at home first. The parents tell the nursery and me different things so i requested a meeting with both so we can sort this out and the mom refused the meeting. The parents have wrote a letter to the nursery and myself about we can share information with each other.

TRACEY1969
22-12-2011, 03:23 PM
What on earth happened to working in partnership? I would be very cross to be spoken to like that :(

You need to speak to parents urgently - organise a proper meeting rather than doorstep chats and discuss how you can support the child.

You also need to dust off your toilet training policy which should state that a child must be reliably trained and able to request the toilet and able to wait a few minutes in case you are busy BEFORE arriving in pants!!

Hth :D

mindee doesn't speak much and he has only started to put 2/3 words together

AliceK
22-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Firstly just because the nursery are happy to take him in pants doesn't mean you have to. You are running your own business and you make and decide what rules / policies you have. If he is not having any success with toilet training then you are within your rights to request parents either send him to you in pull-ups or training pants or whatever your policy states. Have a chat with mum, explain that he is obviously not ready and this is what will need to happen and that perhaps they could try with the training again in a couple of months. I don't think mindees lack of speech should neccs be a problem with toilet training if he is ready as he could indicate to you in lots of ways that he needs to go so I wouldn't let that be an obstacle.
As far as SEN's go, it is a major headache of mine that parents don't have to disclose any information to us if they don't want to. I have the same problem with one of my mindees. Mum is completely closed to hearing anything about her child that could be slightly negative. Knowing i'm not allowed to "diagnose" anything I can only hint at a possible problem but each time I am fobbed off, given excuses etc etc to the point that I am so close to giving notice. If a parent can't work in partnership with me then I have to consider if I want to work with them at all :( It's so frustrating.

Good luck :thumbsup:

xxx