PDA

View Full Version : Nice to be appreciated!!

kats
21-12-2011, 06:58 AM
I have had some lovely presents and cards with such lovely words in from parents, sometimes its nice to know that parents do actually appreciate what we do!! :) :)

EmmaReed84
21-12-2011, 07:53 AM
I saw your post and thought... "Oh dear, what now?" lol (as in so many parent horror stories)

It is nice when people post about the good parents. I am lucky both families are lovely. I love baking cakes and one day parent came to collect her children and came in with a "Gormet Cupcake" from Canary Wharf to just say thanks lol. T'was scrummy lol

Roseolivia
21-12-2011, 07:55 AM
I got some wine off my parent yesterday and Rose and Alfoe got gifts too.

wendywu
21-12-2011, 08:04 AM
Yes i have some nice cards and some lovely gifts under my tree.

My parents are all lovely :D

marnieb
21-12-2011, 08:20 AM
My 'new' parents ( about 3 months) gave me a £30.00 Amazon voucher!! :eek:

And my mindees that I've had for over a year and a half who just left me as well gave me a box of roses... and that's it. :( way to undervalue all the hard work and changing hours i've done for them.

PixiePetal
21-12-2011, 08:25 AM
I had a get together with some ex mindees and mums yesterday - they came armed with gifts :o

flowers, plant, chocs, biscuit tin, Baileys and Prosecco. :)

we had a lovely time and all the children got a present from me too :)

EmmaReed84
21-12-2011, 08:26 AM

And my mindees that I've had for over a year and a half who just left me as well gave me a box of roses... and that's it. :( way to undervalue all the hard work and changing hours i've done for them.

Still at least you got something... Could have got a hug and a thank you, you cant sit in the corner of the kitchen scoffing that now can you lol

loocyloo
21-12-2011, 08:31 AM
i had some amazing flowers from a mum last week, although child is still coming this week, she said she wanted me to be able to apreciate them! also gave me a christmas card that said 'thank you for letting X become part of your family'. so sweet, i almost cried.

been getting a steady supply of chocolates from everyone else, oh, and a card from child who has left saying they miss me lots.

ziggy
21-12-2011, 08:48 AM
I've already had lovely home made hamper including 4 bottles of wine, cheese n chocolates:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

more gifts under the tree, one parent paid an extra £30 plus pressies and the words in my cards are lovely

so so nice to be appreciated

I am very thankfull that ALL my parents are wonderful, a lot to be grateful for

Last day today so merry christmas to you all

jaja
21-12-2011, 08:51 AM
all my parents arrived with several presents for both of my children and me, and all told me that they love coming here and thankyou for all my work in the past year and look forward to next year,

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

caz3007
21-12-2011, 12:53 PM

I have had two lots leave, who I have bent over backwards to help and swapped around and there was nothing, not even a thank you for all you have done. Still all my others over the years have made up for it. I have a pessie under my tree from a before schooler and my son got a nice lego set for his birthday on Monday from my regular mindie

uf353432
21-12-2011, 01:44 PM
I've been truly spoilt this year, some have come armed with gifts for my girls which is nice (though they didn't look after their children pmsl!!!) and most have come bearing a gift of a bottle or box of something for me. This is the first year in 3 yrs i've really been spoilt. The things I treasure the most is when they buy me a xmas decoration. I have 2 sets of parents who both give me really unusual decorations and they go on my tree. They are lovely.

Its definately very nice to be 'thanked' and I have to say having been in a position where I received nothing at all, and sometimes not even a card (the same family springs to mind for 3 yrs on the trot) even a card or box of chocs is a welcome treat, I don't apply any monitory value to it - just the thought is enough.

leeloo1
21-12-2011, 02:21 PM
I've had two lovely cards, 1 said 'thanks for being fabulous' the other said 'X loves coming to you every day'. :) I was so touched and they mean more than the presents they gave me - 1 also gave a present to my DS! :)

The other 3 families... well I doubt we'll even get a card tbh.

(Warning - big whinge alert!)
What I do find a bit hard is that 4 out of 5 families don't give anything (even a card) to my DS for his birthday or Xmas. He's only a toddler and has to share his toys, home and mummy with their children every day and is (usually) a real sweety about it all - I'd really love it if parents recognised it. Is that really unfair? or expecting too much? After all, they gratefully accept - Easter, Birthday and Xmas presents from us.

I guess their view is that they pay me to do a job (which of course they do - but CMing is never 'just a job' when you're welcoming children into your home), so we don't deserve gifts or cards... which 99% of the time I think 'fair enough' about. But at xmas I do find it hard to accept this attitude.

kellib
21-12-2011, 04:07 PM
It's strange isn't it?

The family I would have thought to be the most likely to give me a card at least hasn't given me anything and the Mum I thought least likely gave me a massive box of chocolates. :cool:

watgem
21-12-2011, 04:12 PM
me too and i really didn't expect anything as everyone is skint, but its lovely to be aprreciated:)

Chimps Childminding
21-12-2011, 05:42 PM
I agree, even just a little something means a lot!! June and I are aware of this and so the 2 mums who help us with the school run have gone home with pressies tonight, just a little something to let them know we appreciate them!! even though its not actually OUR children they take and fetch from school its other peoples :rolleyes: but if they didn't help out we wouldn't be able to get the children to and from school everyday (the children have been coming for years, but the council cuts have meant we have lost our school bus and so we have had to get a rota up involving the parents as that is the only way we can manage it).

mandy moo
21-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Ive had 2 lots of lovley gifts,
1 parent brought me 2 cup cakes (ooh they were delicious) from Cox Cookies and Cakes (London) in a lovley presentaion box and a bottle of wine,
My other parent, and although its nice to be thought of, brought me a lovley box of Sanctuary of Covent Garden bits and peices, it must of cost quite a bit, and I real a little embarressed to be honest :o
My other parents (I have 3 lots) brought me some really expensive hand cream last year :o Mum works at a well known department store retail store Ive got their children till tommorow so not had a card, and if If Im lucky a gift yet..

snufflepuff
21-12-2011, 07:05 PM
No presents here :( I had a card from one parent, who also got my son a small gift which was very kind.
I don't expect gifts, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed.

Vickster
21-12-2011, 09:31 PM
I got a Christmas card on with "To a Special Childminder" on the front, did you know Hallmark do childminding cards? I have two presents under the tree, and my third mindee findishes tomorrow, I know the Mum has got my daughter something, but I am not fussed either way! I give all my mindees a gift up to £10 as I care about them.

I would be happy with a box of roses!!!! I am sure both of my gifts are chocs. xx

karensmart4
21-12-2011, 09:48 PM
One of our parents bought 2 new books for our story time sessions and a box of chocolate biscuits for us :thumbsup:

Another one bought all 3 of us a bottle of wine each.

Another bought us all a box of Maltesers.....they're wrapped up but we think by the noise they make we've guessed correctly :D

Another one bought us a box of chocs to share and another one went ott with lots of things :laughing:

It's our party day tomorrow so you never know we might get another box of chocs ;)

It's nice to know that they think of us and appreciate what we do :)

samb
21-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Aw that's lovely. :) I have 4 families at the moment. I am still working so I guess this could change but so far 1 bought a tube of chocolate buttons for my 2 kids (they are my biggest earner with 2 EY kids) but not even a xmas card for me and in comparison other that I only have 12 hours a week gave me £20 in my xmas card plus a selection box for my kids!!! 2 to go, but they are ad hoc, 1 I have had since I first registered and mindee always makes me a card so I am hoping to get another to add to my compliments book! and the other I really do not think they would get me anything as I barely have him really.

JulieA
22-12-2011, 06:56 AM
I mind for seven families - some private and the others are Social Services placements. Yesterday was my last day of working until 3rd Jan and I have had one present.

Now this present is only a small gift - I'm thinking chocolates or shortbread - but it is from one of my social services families, who really have nothing, along with various other issues going on. The LO has only been with me since Sept, for 2 days a week. Every time I take LO home mum is so grateful. So yesterday when I dropped home she gave me the present for having a huge impact on her family, then when LO handed the calendar and tree decs she'd made for mum, mum cried and gave ma a big hug and kiss too.

Now that made me feel appreciated to say the least!

EmmaReed84
22-12-2011, 07:02 AM
I mind for seven families - some private and the others are Social Services placements. Yesterday was my last day of working until 3rd Jan and I have had one present.

Now this present is only a small gift - I'm thinking chocolates or shortbread - but it is from one of my social services families, who really have nothing, along with various other issues going on. The LO has only been with me since Sept, for 2 days a week. Every time I take LO home mum is so grateful. So yesterday when I dropped home she gave me the present for having a huge impact on her family, then when LO handed the calendar and tree decs she'd made for mum, mum cried and gave ma a big hug and kiss too.

Now that made me feel appreciated to say the least!

Awww that would mean more to me than any kind of present... How lovely x

manjay
22-12-2011, 08:10 AM
I am extremely lucky with the families I have. Cards and lovely pressies from them all. My favourite was a basket of home-made goodies and all the weighed out ingredients and instructions to make Christmas muffins and mulled wine! This family know that something like that would appeal to me and I think it is fab:D

loocyloo
22-12-2011, 08:23 AM
i have a child from a family with lots of issues and i was so touched that mum wrote a card saying thank you for everything i had done and how much LO loved coming. this made me cry as mum has severe dyslexia and avoids writing ANYTHING, so i know how much i mean to them.

kellib
22-12-2011, 04:48 PM
I had my last mindee before Christmas today, he only started in November so he's only been here around 6 weeks and his Mum gave me a lovely card and a £15 TK Maxx voucher. I told her she shouldn't have but she told me that she really wanted to as LO had really settled here in such a short space of time, that made me feel really good :thumbsup:

samb
22-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Aw that's lovely. :) I have 4 families at the moment. I am still working so I guess this could change but so far 1 bought a tube of chocolate buttons for my 2 kids (they are my biggest earner with 2 EY kids) but not even a xmas card for me and in comparison other that I only have 12 hours a week gave me £20 in my xmas card plus a selection box for my kids!!! 2 to go, but they are ad hoc, 1 I have had since I first registered and mindee always makes me a card so I am hoping to get another to add to my compliments book! and the other I really do not think they would get me anything as I barely have him really.

I didn't get a card from my longest standing mindee :-( Oh well. My mindee I have only had 8 times since sept gave me a bottle of wine and smellies and my kids some sweets too!

smurfette
22-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Aw you guys! Mum of my first mindee who initially had lots of problems with and I wanted to give notice to so many times but is now fab gave me money to take my three girls ice skating ! She had tried to get a voucher but couldnt get one without booking a time. Said my girls were lovely and so good to her little one.. I was thrilled as we normally take them ice skating at Christmas but havent this year as we couldn't afford it.. Lovely card too saying how happy lo is with us and how pleased they are she is so happy in our home! Makes me feel all squishy inside!!

desiderata
22-12-2011, 11:08 PM
I had a small pressie from one set of parents I have had for two years just for 2 nights a week after school. 1 bottle of wine from the 2 children I have full time. 1 child I have had for 3 years 2 of which was full time and now after school broke up today and not even a card. 1 child who I have only had 2 days sent a bottle of wine. I have two finishing tomorrow lets see what happens then xx

IndigoMoon
23-12-2011, 07:17 AM
also gave me a christmas card that said 'thank you for letting X become part of your family'. so sweet, i almost cried.

How lovely! :) That really does go to show how valued you are.

I have had 3 gifts, and 2 lots of "happy Christmas" wished from my parents. One card had a very similar sentiment in it which was wonderful to read. :)

caz3007
23-12-2011, 09:20 AM
I had a pressie under my tree since last week from a before school mindie. I received flowers and a big bar of chocolate, a lovely thank you card and a big hug from mum from an after schoolie that left me last week.

Today my EY LO turned up with a bag for me with 5 pressies in and a tube of sweets for my Ds along with a card for him with £10 inside. There was also a lovely message in the daily diary, which I will photocopy and pop in my folder

Helly Belly
23-12-2011, 10:46 AM
All but one set of parents have been lovely, the one not so thoughtful is denining anything different with her son - (struggles with every aspect of life!)i gave a big bags of wrapped presents to her last night and she text when she got home to say where are all her baby wipes:angry: he lo 2 1/2 cant get his nappy off quick enough after poop so used them to clean ourselves up Merry christmas one and all love Helly

Bevbeetle
23-12-2011, 12:16 PM
i have a vw campervan and i know 4 sets of parents have brought me a pressie for the van because the kids have told me :laughing: :laughing: but i really love it when i get things that they have gone to a lot of trouble to get me and the kids love it i gave all my mindees pressies they were tshirts with a campervan on i know they will all come back in them in jan :laughing:

karensmart4
23-12-2011, 02:41 PM
After our party yesterday we (3 of us) were given a bottle of wine each from.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....12 sets of parents :laughing:

That's our Christmas'-New Year and Birthday's sorted :ROFL1:

candy cat
23-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Well all the family got a pressie from one family ....always very generous....the other 3 .....nowt!! I do so much with the children and they all went away with lots of goodies to give to the parents plus a pressie for them....I never charge for all the lateness etc etc ...it just would be nice to have a card saying one word....thanks :rolleyes:

jelly15
23-12-2011, 06:57 PM
My parents have been very generous and I know that a couple of them have had things a bit tight financially this year.

I have had a £25 voucher and a box of chocs from F, a £20 voucher and my two teenage sons had vouchers too from O, a bottle of my favourite (and expensive) perfume from D, a box of chocs from E and a gift voucher from A from her mothers hair salon (she has been my hairdresser for years but I have been minding for her for six months) made out to the amount of "The works".

I have had lovely messages on the Christmas cards and one gran took the time to send me one thanking me. I does mean a lot to be appriciated for the work we do. My cm friend bends over backwards for the families she works with and I know they tell other people about how great she is but they never think to show her, or just tell her.

fionamadcat
24-12-2011, 10:02 AM
I've been thoroughly spoilt! I got £30 in a card with a thanks for your support message from 1 parent, a scented candle and selection boxes for my kids from another, a box of chocs and card from 1 and the last turned up last night with a giant cupcake for us all and a bottle of wine, scarf and chocolate brownie for me but what meant most was the card that had a message saying thank you for accepting K into our family and how much she loves us all, brought a tear to my eye when I read it. It really is nice to be appreciated so much.

Fiona

mummyMia
24-12-2011, 09:11 PM
I have three families and didn't get a single thing. I wasn't expecting presents, especially as they have not been with me all that long, but I was a little disappointed that I didn't get a single card :(

EmmaReed84
06-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Yesterday parent asked me to work late one night as she had a funeral to go and DH wasnt going but doesnt finish work til late so I agreed. Anyway today I had a call from the hospital about an appointment. I called parent to double check the day the funeral was and yes you guess the same day. So I call the hospital and arrange my appointment for the following week as late as possible so parent does not have to leave work too much earlier.

I got a text from her saying that her mum was able to look after the kids for the day so I can have a PAID break!! Awwww :clapping: