PDA

View Full Version : SO - Did YOU respond to the first EYFS consultation?

Penny1959
20-12-2011, 09:43 PM
I have to say I am rather surprised to find out that in THE WHOLE COUNTRY only 122 childminders bothered to respond in person to the online consultation into the revised EYFS.

I know some attended meetings and some responded as part of a group - and indeed some forum members provided myself and Playmate with information to take to the meeting with the DfE.

BUT 122 childminders across the whole country - it makes you wonder why the government bother to consult with childminders - and if they stop we (that is childminders collectively) will only have ourselves to blame.

Looking at the sats for forum use - just now 46 members were online and the max at any one time (in June this year) was over 1000 - which means that they are a lot of active forum members who did not take part in the consultation - and I have to ask why not?

Are you happy to do whatever the government says? (from posts on here about the current EYFS - I guess not)

Do you think they take no notice? (the new consultation just issued is proof they do listen - only thing is the number of childminder responses have been overshadowed by other type of setting responses - so the childminder concerns have had less impact)

As I say I am shocked - if given an opportunity to respond to the EYFS consultation - one should either respond and help get changes made- or when the final revised EYFS is issued accept it as it is without comment or complaint because by then it will be too late and it will be LAW.

A bit of a rant - but maybe some of you will now be thinking that you do actually need to respond yourself and not assume enough others will do so - because clearly there are not enough 'others' doing so.

The link to the latest new consultation is posted by me under EYFS

Penny :)

singlewiththree
20-12-2011, 09:45 PM
I responded, I'm shocked so few replied, it did take a bit of looking at to see how to get started I suppose. Out of all my local childminders I spoke to I was the only one who bothered.

The Juggler
20-12-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm so shocked at those numbers:panic: I'm not surprised in general, the CM's at my drop in hadn't even heard about the consultation and when the children centres left the computers on for them to reply a few said they'd do it at home (was hard to do at the cc, as they were working and it WAS time consuming) but guess not many did :(

I'm going to respond to the lastest consultation on the L&D as this is where I have the most issues with the reforms.

rosebud
20-12-2011, 10:09 PM
I did. However it was very time consuming and I don't think that it was particularly accessible to all childminders - the language used etc would have been very off-putting for a number of the minders I know. And after reading the response I don't feel that any of my comments were taken on board.

desiderata
20-12-2011, 11:00 PM
I dis xx I made my feelings quite plain xx Oh and by the way Penny thanks for your comments previously on my prob with accreditation I complained as you said and now I am accredited xx

Penny1959
21-12-2011, 05:31 AM
I did. However it was very time consuming and I don't think that it was particularly accessible to all childminders - the language used etc would have been very off-putting for a number of the minders I know. And after reading the response I don't feel that any of my comments were taken on board.

I agree with your comments that it was time consuming and not the easiest thing to do.

However Sarah 707 had put her thoughts on the forum - so forum users would have had a head start - some LA's held meetings to discuss and gather views - this would have also helped thoose attending to fill in a personal response.

And yes like you - I don't feel my concerns have all been addressed and others only partly - but if I was government I would not be over concerned by a few concerns from a few childminders - and would address the concerns of the majority.

It is very sad that so few do take the time to respond - and not just to this one - I wonder how many will respond to the the consultation on if childmindersshould register as a food business.

Penny1959
21-12-2011, 05:35 AM
I dis xx I made my feelings quite plain xx Oh and by the way Penny thanks for your comments previously on my prob with accreditation I complained as you said and now I am accredited xx

That is good news desiderata - well done on becoming accredited.

It is good to have some feedback as I often give advice (both on the forum, through private message and by people emailing me at home) but don't get feedback on outcome or if advice helpful, that often. So thank you for taking the time to let me know

JulieA
21-12-2011, 07:24 AM
I gave my response via our local Network. After reading your original post I am hoping they did something with that.

Perhaps I will respond individually next time. At least I will know that I have commented, even if i appears that the comments were not taken into account. :laughing:

Many thanks Penny, Pauline, Sarah (and all) for keeping us aware of these issues.

Pauline
21-12-2011, 07:27 AM

I think that has to be one of the main reasons sadly :(

Pauline
21-12-2011, 07:29 AM
The link to the latest new consultation is posted by me under EYFS

I will pin that up and also Facebook and Twitter it, like I did the Food Hygiene consultation, we need to get it out to as many people as possible, members of the forum or not :thumbsup:

blue bear
21-12-2011, 07:43 AM
I did not respond, I really struggle with computers and to be honest the whole look of the thing put me off, I've just looked at what you have posted penny and just can't understand what to do with it.
Why does everything have to be on computers nowadays I feel really cut off. Thank goodness the forum is really easy to understand .

Our local authority have not brought up the consultations as far as I am aware with the childminders at groups, training or by email and so it's not been high lighted how important it was

onceinabluemoon
21-12-2011, 07:59 AM
I didn't respond, I work stupidly long hours (12 hours a day), I am a single mum of six kids, that's before you add in the college courses and childminding courses etc and because I'm single in the true sense of the word there is nobody to stand in and even make me a cuppa! I HATE forms with a passion, I am almost phobic about them as I start panicking as soon as I see one I have to fill in. No way am I going to offer to fill something in that I don't actually have to!

In my experience forms like this use language that ordinary people struggle with, add that to my form phobia and sorry but you don't stand a chance. Lots of CMs on here are dyslexic, others have English as a second language, others just don't have fantastic English skills, how can they all be expected to fill out stuff which they maybe don't understand well, and like somebody earlier said I doubt they'd take any notice of us anyway.

I know you are passionate about this Penny but to come on here and make us feel like naughty children who haven't done their homework is out of line in my opinion. And yes if the government doesn't consult with CMs again you can all blame me. :blush:

Sorry if this reply sounds antsy, I've had five hours sleep and came on here for a bit of light relief only to be told off and it has flipping well annoyed me!

Playmate
21-12-2011, 08:01 AM
All to sad, put not unsurprisingly true. I will be slated for this, but so many have the time to come on social networking sites and rant, but can't find the time to feedback their thoughts to the right people.Those people will also be the first to complain when authorities don't listen :rolleyes:
Sorry this is not meant personally at anyone as I'm sure many of the 122 that did reply were members here :D

mama2three
21-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Im not surprised unfortunately. I would hazard a guess that the majority of those who responded are members on here. I have been to a few cm related groups / courses / functions recently and have talked about the consultataion / review to be met with completely blank faces. People simply havent heard of it , never mind responded. Another reason why this forum is so valuable , and especially Sarahs input to help us make sense of the documents!

loocyloo
21-12-2011, 08:36 AM
i responded, but if i hadn't been on the forum i would never had heard about it. i forwarded the link to all the childminders i know, but the language was/is always difficult to understand what they are wanting to know! i just write whatever i think in whichever box!

although my LA has been organising groups to respond to a couple of consultations lately ( one to do with funded places and i can't remember what the other was about, but it provoked alot of debate about childminders! )

sweets
21-12-2011, 08:38 AM
Sorry penny but i didnt even look at the form as knew it would be long winded and really are they going to consider our opinions anyway?

I have only two words when asked my opinion on the eyfs and they are

SCRAP IT!

lou lou
21-12-2011, 08:38 AM
I didn't respond, I work stupidly long hours (12 hours a day), I am a single mum of six kids, that's before you add in the college courses and childminding courses etc and because I'm single in the true sense of the word there is nobody to stand in and even make me a cuppa! I HATE forms with a passion, I am almost phobic about them as I start panicking as soon as I see one I have to fill in. No way am I going to offer to fill something in that I don't actually have to!

In my experience forms like this use language that ordinary people struggle with, add that to my form phobia and sorry but you don't stand a chance. Lots of CMs on here are dyslexic, others have English as a second language, others just don't have fantastic English skills, how can they all be expected to fill out stuff which they maybe don't understand well, and like somebody earlier said I doubt they'd take any notice of us anyway.

I know you are passionate about this Penny but to come on here and make us feel like naughty children who haven't done their homework is out of line in my opinion. And yes if the government doesn't consult with CMs again you can all blame me. :blush:

Sorry if this reply sounds antsy, I've had five hours sleep and came on here for a bit of light relief only to be told off and it has flipping well annoyed me!
Well said and you can blame me as well I hardly have the time for myself let alone filling any forms in !!!!

Pipsqueak
21-12-2011, 08:44 AM
yes I responded - it was long winded and full of meaningless phrases!

Blue, I don't think Penny meant it to be a ticking off however I get her meaning... having been involved at local level for many things I have heard many many many (and so on) whinge (yes whinge) on about things they don't like, want etc but don't and won't do anything about it.

Sweets - the louder the voice the more chance it has of getting noticed so yes I do believe the gov would listen to what is needed (scrapping Ofsted though perhaps isn't really a viable option :laughing: )

I even forwarded the consultation onto a gazillion minders via email and on the MyoB site on FB.

Its a shame isn't it that people feel so strongly about stuff but won't do anything about it when they get the chance. (Much as I disagree and have no sympathy for the recent strikers I DO admire them taking a stance for something they believe in).

I will be responding again and I will be urging my collegues to do so .

Blue Boy
21-12-2011, 09:06 AM
yes I responded - it was long winded and full of meaningless phrases!

Blue, I don't think Penny meant it to be a ticking off however I get her meaning... having been involved at local level for many things I have heard many many many (and so on) whinge (yes whinge) on about things they don't like, want etc but don't and won't do anything about it.

Sweets - the louder the voice the more chance it has of getting noticed so yes I do believe the gov would listen to what is needed (scrapping Ofsted though perhaps isn't really a viable option :laughing: )

I even forwarded the consultation onto a gazillion minders via email and on the MyoB site on FB.

Its a shame isn't it that people feel so strongly about stuff but won't do anything about it when they get the chance. (Much as I disagree and have no sympathy for the recent strikers I DO admire them taking a stance for something they believe in).

I will be responding again and I will be urging my collegues to do so .

I totally agree Pip. I normally do not get involved in threads that stir up people's emotions but this is one that I feel I need to get involved in.

I see so many CM's moaning about things they have to do and how long it takes, surely this is part of being involved in running your own business? I know I will be shoot down & will probably get my knuckles rapped but their are a lot of CM's who just seem to sit back and reap the benefits of other's endeavours. I know it is personal choice but it I feel that we should all get involved in something that would benefit everyone else. There was plenty of information on the NCMA website regarding the consultation and also at regional forums. Both Penny & Playmate offered their services to take forward people's concerns before their meeting with the Dfe but hardly anyone responded.
I always say that people who do not vote in elecrtions have know right to moan about the party that wins as they could have changed that outcome. The same goes for things that could change childminding for the benefit of everyone.

I appreciate that some will not like what I have to say but I needed to say it:angry:

Carol M
21-12-2011, 09:39 AM
I totally agree the form was a very long winded faf!
I had to come back to it three or four times and read it over and over again !
I don't consider myself to be dumb but I actually think the way it was done was done on purpose to STOP us responding.
I haven't seen the Food Business one yet,although I'm quite happy with this one.
I really do appreciate others committment and non stop determination to lobby on issues important to our profession but I also understand the difficulty it presents to many.
Off to re read Penny's posts on EYFS consultation to see if I've missed anything.
By the way, I have also just responded to the NCMA questionnaire about extending membership , the link is on your e newsletter, and this was a bit more straight forward but I still feel this has already been decided by NCMA!
Carol xx

Penny1959
21-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Althgough others hasve responded strongly about this I feel I have to respond to the comments suggesting that I am telling people off

I asked questions about why people did not respond - I did not tell off
I made suggestions that some might like to resond personally - I did not tell.

And to be honest those that have mentioned that they are too busy - well that has made me mad :angry:

I like most childminders work very long hours - my normal week is 72hrs of hands on childminding - I do 15 hour days as standard - I often work all day - do a overnight shift and then work all the next day. I have a grandson with additional needs who is often in my care, I have just had the worry of my DD who had problems after birth of 2nd child. Oh and although married I might as well not be - as DH causes more work and stress -he does not 'help' I might only have 4 grown up daughters but I have six grandchildren and I am constantly providing support, care and TIME to them all.

I have major health problems - I am often not well - I don't sleep - 4 hrs is good for me - and that is an issue EVERY night.

I could go on - but it is not about who has time (or the reasons behind lack of time)

It is about realising that someone has to make the time - someone has to put the views of childminders to the government - someone has to - and I choose to.

If you choose not to - that is your choice - but as I said in my first post don't complain when the government implement things you don't like. And don't say people are telling you off when they are not.

My voice alone is not enough - neither is that of Sarah707 or Playmate or Blueboy (or the other posters who do respond) to have an impact we need hundreds if not thousands of childminders to respond.

And if you find the forms complicated, not in the right language, too long or whatever - tell them on the form - if you don't tell them - how are they sussposed to know the forms need changing? If you don't tell them you don't like aspects of proposed changes - how are they supposed to know? At the moment it looks like 122 individual childminders have concerns about the revised EYFS (plus an unknow number who responded via a group or network) - and the rest - are happy enough not to comment.

Oh and I know that Sarah707 is already working on something to post to help forum users fill out the should childminders register as food business consultation - as she has asked me to look over it before posting- Sarah takes the time because it is important, I take the time time because it is important, Pauline reposts elsewhere so non forum users get to know about because it is important, those forum members who take the time to respond do so because it is important.

Those who don't have the time to respond but do have the time to post negatively about those who make the time - and it has to be said to also post moaning comments about this and and the other - need to think - if I didn't bother ( and those others who bother - didn't bother) the government and all those who work under the .gov umbrella would just do whatever they thought best - and where we we all be then?

I don't often have a personal 'dig' at anyone but on this occassion I feel I had to - and yes I know quite likely those without time - will find time to post back to defend themselves - and no doubt will be very negative about me - go ahead - I shall not respond any more one this issue.

Penny

Penny1959
21-12-2011, 10:33 AM
I did not respond, I really struggle with computers and to be honest the whole look of the thing put me off, I've just looked at what you have posted penny and just can't understand what to do with it.
Why does everything have to be on computers nowadays I feel really cut off. Thank goodness the forum is really easy to understand .

Our local authority have not brought up the consultations as far as I am aware with the childminders at groups, training or by email and so it's not been high lighted how important it was

You are right about the computer thing - however it is possible with some to print and hand fill in.

And yes some local authorities did not make people aware of this - and some did not respond as a LA - I have noted that my own LA - although said were responding - don't appear to have done to.:(

Playmate
21-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Althgough others hasve responded strongly about this I feel I have to respond to the comments suggesting that I am telling people off

I asked questions about why people did not respond - I did not tell off
I made suggestions that some might like to resond personally - I did not tell.

And to be honest those that have mentioned that they are too busy - well that has made me mad :angry:

I like most childminders work very long hours - my normal week is 72hrs of hands on childminding - I do 15 hour days as standard - I often work all day - do a overnight shift and then work all the next day. I have a grandson with additional needs who is often in my care, I have just had the worry of my DD who had problems after birth of 2nd child. Oh and although married I might as well not be - as DH causes more work and stress -he does not 'help' I might only have 4 grown up daughters but I have six grandchildren and I am constantly providing support, care and TIME to them all.

I have major health problems - I am often not well - I don't sleep - 4 hrs is good for me - and that is an issue EVERY night.

I could go on - but it is not about who has time (or the reasons behind lack of time)

It is about realising that someone has to make the time - someone has to put the views of childminders to the government - someone has to - and I choose to.

If you choose not to - that is your choice - but as I said in my first post don't complain when the government implement things you don't like. And don't say people are telling you off when they are not.

My voice alone is not enough - neither is that of Sarah707 or Playmate or Blueboy (or the other posters who do respond) to have an impact we need hundreds if not thousands of childminders to respond.

And if you find the forms complicated, not in the right language, too long or whatever - tell them on the form - if you don't tell them - how are they sussposed to know the forms need changing? If you don't tell them you don't like aspects of proposed changes - how are they supposed to know? At the moment it looks like 122 individual childminders have concerns about the revised EYFS (plus an unknow number who responded via a group or network) - and the rest - are happy enough not to comment.

Oh and I know that Sarah707 is already working on something to post to help forum users fill out the should childminders register as food business consultation - as she has asked me to look over it before posting- Sarah takes the time because it is important, I take the time time because it is important, Pauline reposts elsewhere so non forum users get to know about because it is important, those forum members who take the time to respond do so because it is important.

Those who don't have the time to respond but do have the time to post negatively about those who make the time - and it has to be said to also post moaning comments about this and and the other - need to think - if I didn't bother ( and those others who bother - didn't bother) the government and all those who work under the .gov umbrella would just do whatever they thought best - and where we we all be then?

I don't often have a personal 'dig' at anyone but on this occassion I feel I had to - and yes I know quite likely those without time - will find time to post back to defend themselves - and no doubt will be very negative about me - go ahead - I shall not respond any more one this issue.

Penny

:clapping: :clapping:

JCrakers
21-12-2011, 11:22 AM
The honest truth is...I didnt know anything about it :blush:
I am quite cut off in my area, dont know any other childminders, I dont get anything from the EY team, dont have a DO, am not part of a childminding group as I found it very clique(sp)
The only info I get is off this forum and I must have missed it

snufflepuff
21-12-2011, 11:35 AM
I feel awful now, I tried three times to load it and it wouldn't work, then I forgot all about it :blush: I'm very sorry.

I'm also angry that I would have known nothing about it if I had not been a forum member...and one who comes on here fairly regularly. My DO did not mention it, it was not emailed or posted to me...how are childminders who do not use the forum supposed to know about it?! Are they not entitled to have their say too?

karensmart4
21-12-2011, 11:54 AM
I responded and I made sure other minders in my area were aware of how to put their feelings forward but....... I'm sure they thought they wouldn't make a difference so why bother :panic:

Helen79
21-12-2011, 12:04 PM
The honest truth is...I didnt know anything about it
I am quite cut off in my area, dont know any other childminders, I dont get anything from the EY team, dont have a DO, am not part of a childminding group as I found it very clique(sp)
The only info I get is off this forum and I must have missed it

Me too. The only contact I ever get is when the EY team send me the training dates booklet. I don't go to any training as they've started charging for training which I can't afford so don't have contact with anyone to do with cm except for on this forum. I don't read every post and must have missed it.

To be truthful I do the bare minimum paperwork for the EYFS, I have RA which are reviewed yearly, all relevant paperwork for each child and every week spend maybe an hour while babies are asleep updating LJ. I don't do planning and refuse to jump through so many hoops just cos the EYFS tells me to. I got a good for my last inspection which I'm happy with so don't get stressed about it.
I don't really have a problem with the EYFS (though tbh after minding for 3yrs I still don't understand it all as I've never had any training for it) I do the bits that I feel I need to and ignore the bits I don't, so even if I had known about the consultation then I wouldn't really have had anything to say on the form about it.

Blaze
21-12-2011, 01:02 PM
I responded:littleangel: ...thanks to Sarah!:blush:

lou lou
21-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Me too. The only contact I ever get is when the EY team send me the training dates booklet. I don't go to any training as they've started charging for training which I can't afford so don't have contact with anyone to do with cm except for on this forum. I don't read every post and must have missed it.

To be truthful I do the bare minimum paperwork for the EYFS, I have RA which are reviewed yearly, all relevant paperwork for each child and every week spend maybe an hour while babies are asleep updating LJ. I don't do planning and refuse to jump through so many hoops just cos the EYFS tells me to. I got a good for my last inspection which I'm happy with so don't get stressed about it.
I don't really have a problem with the EYFS (though tbh after minding for 3yrs I still don't understand it all as I've never had any training for it) I do the bits that I feel I need to and ignore the bits I don't, so even if I had known about the consultation then I wouldn't really have had anything to say on the form about it.

I am a bit like you helen i try to not get too stressed about the EYFS I probably do the bare minimum as I feel life is too short to worry about it so would probably have nothing to say on the form either but again appreciate to the others who have filled it in

rickysmiths
21-12-2011, 01:36 PM

I know none of the cms that go to our group bothered but as said above it wasn't publicised and our LA certainly ddn't do anything they don't do anything for cms anymore. So unless you use a site like this, or are a member of NCMA it is unlikely that you would have have been aware the consultation was taking place.

watgem
21-12-2011, 04:17 PM
I did reply but it was at the last minute as I only heard about it through this site, perhaps it depends on where in the country you live as to the amount of information you recieve from your early years support officers, I have to say we weren't told about it and so if i hadn't been on here I wouldn't have known about it

Penny1959
21-12-2011, 04:27 PM
I know none of the cms that go to our group bothered but as said above it wasn't publicised and our LA certainly ddn't do anything they don't do anything for cms anymore. So unless you use a site like this, or are a member of NCMA it is unlikely that you would have have been aware the consultation was taking place.

Ok I said I would not post again on this - but I thought those of you who were not aware might like to know that if you register with the DfE (easy and free) you can access all consultations from there - bit like the Ofsted ones.

I will admit that I first heard about this because the DfE emailed me to tell me - but I was not the only person to be emailed.

I think those who 'expect' their LA to let them know about things need to face up to the fact the since the cut backs LA's do not have the funds / staff to support or even keep practitioners informed - and round 2 of cuts start next year - so expect more cutbacks - especially those that have LA's who have managed to 'hang on to' some staff so far.

Another way to keep informed is to put Nursery World or one of the other childcare mags as a friend on facebook and then these things will come up on your facebook page.

Or you could become a member of NCMA - although it does take a few days to go on their members pages - consultations do get on there and usually there is some further information as well.

Pauline puts all these things as a 'sticky' which means you can easily find them even if not accessed the forum for a while - while not make a habit of looking each time you log on to the forum.

Maybe others will post how they keep informed now the LA's do less of this.

Penny

Pauline
21-12-2011, 04:58 PM
I don't think for one minute that Penny was telling anyone off, she was simply giving her opinion on the response.

No one is forced to respond and if you don't want to that is fine it is why we have a free country, but unless these things are brought to everyone's attention many don't get the chance to respond even if they really wanted to.

So a big thank you to Penny for taking the time to find these and other consultations and share then with us. :thumbsup: I am subscribed to DfE but for some reasons did not get these :(

Helen79
21-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Ok I said I would not post again on this - but I thought those of you who were not aware might like to know that if you register with the DfE (easy and free) you can access all consultations from there - bit like the Ofsted ones.

I will admit that I first heard about this because the DfE emailed me to tell me - but I was not the only person to be emailed.

I think those who 'expect' their LA to let them know about things need to face up to the fact the since the cut backs LA's do not have the funds / staff to support or even keep practitioners informed - and round 2 of cuts start next year - so expect more cutbacks - especially those that have LA's who have managed to 'hang on to' some staff so far.

Another way to keep informed is to put Nursery World or one of the other childcare mags as a friend on facebook and then these things will come up on your facebook page.

Or you could become a member of NCMA - although it does take a few days to go on their members pages - consultations do get on there and usually there is some further information as well.

Pauline puts all these things as a 'sticky' which means you can easily find them even if not accessed the forum for a while - while not make a habit of looking each time you log on to the forum.

Maybe others will post how they keep informed now the LA's do less of this.

I don't want to do any of those things though. Some cm'ers are obviously more passionate about the job than others. At the moment I look after 2 toddlers and my own children. I love my job, I'm proud to be a cm'er but once the children have gone home at 3pm, that's it, I forget about work until 8.45 the following day when they arrive again. I do this job as I love looking after children, so I can stay at home with my own children and so I can pay the bills. I'm really not bothered about all the extras.
I'm with MM, not NCMA, I'm don't want to be a member of any other organisations or be getting emails about consultations that really don't affect me.
I don't expect the LA to give me hand outs and tbh I really don't want to do all the extras that's involved. I'm happy doing whatever paperwork is absolutely necessary for this job but really don't care about the EYFS or any changes they make to it.
I managed to get a good in my inspection despite not doing a great deal of paperwork, which to me is all the the EYFS stands for. If the EYFS changed I wouldn't change any of my day to day practice or change the way in which I care for the children which to me is the most important part of the job.
I felt like I was being told of this morning aswell for not caring enough or being as committed a childminder as others may be.

I've never moaned about the EYFS as it doesn't really impact on me in any way.

lou lou
21-12-2011, 05:49 PM
I don't want to do any of those things though. Some cm'ers are obviously more passionate about the job than others. At the moment I look after 2 toddlers and my own children. I love my job, I'm proud to be a cm'er but once the children have gone home at 3pm, that's it, I forget about work until 8.45 the following day when they arrive again. I do this job as I love looking after children, so I can stay at home with my own children and so I can pay the bills. I'm really not bothered about all the extras.
I'm with MM, not NCMA, I'm don't want to be a member of any other organisations or be getting emails about consultations that really don't affect me.
I don't expect the LA to give me hand outs and tbh I really don't want to do all the extras that's involved. I'm happy doing whatever paperwork is absolutely necessary for this job but really don't care about the EYFS or any changes they make to it.
I managed to get a good in my inspection despite not doing a great deal of paperwork, which to me is all the the EYFS stands for. If the EYFS changed I wouldn't change any of my day to day practice or change the way in which I care for the children which to me is the most important part of the job.
I felt like I was being told of this morning aswell for not caring enough or being as committed a childminder as others may be.

I've never moaned about the EYFS as it doesn't really impact on me in any way.

I could not of put it better myself all those reasons above are exactly why i do childminding to pay the bills and enjoy being with the children and be at home with my little one and i just do the basic that i have to do with the paper work and i dont want to get outstanding i am quite happy with good and i know all my parents are happy with what i do and that is what counts for me and will carry on the way i am doing things, no doubt it will change again in a few years!!!

sarah707
21-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Thank you to Penny for bringing this to everyone's attention. :thumbsup:

There are some very interesting comments in the thread which I hope Ofsted / DfE read because they are relevant and reflect how childminders feel about consultations in general.

Maybe if they used clearer English and less complicated ways of asking for information more people would feel that they could spare the time... I hope they pick up on that one!

However I am sad that some members are having a go at Penny - she is very dedicated to supporting all childminders and that shines through in everything she does.

I was also very surprised at only 122 childminders responding to the consultation when the Eyfs affects every single one of us to some extent.

I think it is so important we have our say... or they might take the right away from us and then we'd be in a pickle :(

I am about to put some info into the thread about the food standards consultation. I hope it supports everyone to spend a few minutes looking at the questions and replying with their own views.

:D

Helen79
21-12-2011, 08:07 PM
I don't think anyone is having a go at Penny. In the op she asked for reasons why childminders may not have responded to the consultation.
Her post was a rant (as Penny said it herself) and had the tone of talking to naughty children which may have got people's backs up to read first thing in the morning.

mushpea
21-12-2011, 08:55 PM
well I must appologise as i didnt know we could,, obviously I missed the post or the poster that said we could or must have been on another planet but whatever I didnt know so I do applogise,, Im not sure what my response would have been,, I do think its a pain doing the paperwork but then it makes us look more profesional and it has improved my practise doing all the planning etc so I am kinda contovsersial on my own opinions anyway,, also I do feel that things like this we childminders get swept under the carpet but I gues if enough of us responeded then they would have to take notice.

Playmate
21-12-2011, 09:12 PM
I don't think anyone is having a go at Penny. In the op she asked for reasons why childminders may not have responded to the consultation.
Her post was a rant (as Penny said it herself) and had the tone of talking to naughty children which may have got people's backs up to read first thing in the morning.

I'm going to speak on behalf of Penny, who would be mortified to think she made you feel like a naughty school girl and I know this was not her intention. Penny is the most lovely lady who will do anything for anyone and fall over backwards to help other CM's. She is passionate like me about what she does. People like us and many others who have been in this profession for some time remember when we were regarded as housewives earning a bit of pocket money and we have worked hard to gain the respect that CM's have today (still along way to go in many areas, but we are getting there!). We do spend many hours in our roles as volunteers and our own businesses. However we also appreciate that others do not share the same passion, having young families etc.

Penny was genuinally shocked at how many had not responded to the consultation particually as we had campaigned quite heavily on here and she was interested to know why and now we know some of the reasons. We do understand many of them and this will be useful feed back for next time.

Blue Boy
23-12-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm going to speak on behalf of Penny, who would be mortified to think she made you feel like a naughty school girl and I know this was not her intention. Penny is the most lovely lady who will do anything for anyone and fall over backwards to help other CM's. She is passionate like me about what she does. People like us and many others who have been in this profession for some time remember when we were regarded as housewives earning a bit of pocket money and we have worked hard to gain the respect that CM's have today (still along way to go in many areas, but we are getting there!). We do spend many hours in our roles as volunteers and our own businesses. However we also appreciate that others do not share the same passion, having young families etc.

Penny was genuinally shocked at how many had not responded to the consultation particually as we had campaigned quite heavily on here and she was interested to know why and now we know some of the reasons. We do understand many of them and this will be useful feed back for next time.

I have to agree with Playmate (I know alot of people on ther forum will say I have too!). Penny & I read every day on the forum, FB & also speaking to other CM's we hear complaints about the amount of paperwork CM's are expected to complete under the current EYFS! The consulatation was an opportunity for CM's to have thier say on how the new EYFS should be tailored to make the job a great deal easier for us. Penny was showing concern that CM's did not take to chance to make their lives a great deal less stressful. I must say that if some people have read Penny's thread as having their wrists slapped for not replying to the consultaion, I suggest that they take time to think how she must feel with some of the replies placed on this thread.

nikki thomson
23-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Unfortunately unless I get an e-mail and 50 million reminders and a cut of date you have no chance with me.
I'm a nightmare I admit it I even leave my tax until the 31st jan, which reminds me I really need to get my accounts up to date, might do that over the hols!!! Or maybe not, lol.
I do see where your all coming from and I should make more of an effort on these things but tbh I don't here about half the things we should be doing. X

Zumba-mum
23-12-2011, 08:05 PM
I've only be registered two months and didn't know anything about this :blush:

VeggieSausage
24-12-2011, 09:05 PM
Yes I responded but it took ages and was difficult to make head or tale of in many ways.....however glad I did as so few childminders responded.....:)