PDA

View Full Version : Biting

Mrs M
20-12-2011, 02:07 PM
I so want to send a child home for continuously biting! He's bitten my little boy's leg so hard and he's bitten the other child in my care. I know it's normal but it's upset me.

curlycathy
20-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Aw hun big hugs x

I had a mindee who went through a really bad biting stage - at first it was just me and his mum he bit but then he graduated onto other children. I dealt with it by keeping him glued to my side - where I went he went. When I had to go to the loo he either went in the buggy or the playpen. When I went in the kitchen he came too. Also I made a huge fuss of the bitten child and the biter had to sit on the step whilst I sorted them out - however long it took.

It did work - but I also had his mums total support. Have you spoken to this los mum about it and asked what strategies they are using at home?

AliceK
20-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Aw hun big hugs x

I had a mindee who went through a really bad biting stage - at first it was just me and his mum he bit but then he graduated onto other children. I dealt with it by keeping him glued to my side - where I went he went. When I had to go to the loo he either went in the buggy or the playpen. When I went in the kitchen he came too. Also I made a huge fuss of the bitten child and the biter had to sit on the step whilst I sorted them out - however long it took.

It did work - but I also had his mums total support. Have you spoken to this los mum about it and asked what strategies they are using at home?

This is exactly what I did when I had a biter. It was hard work, I couldn't let her out of my sight for a second. It has stopped now though. I remember my DD going through the same stage, she bit an older mindee once. How bad did I feel :blush:

xxxx

sarah707
20-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Oh it's such hard work I really feel for you. The only way is to pin the biter to your leg until the phase has passed.

Hugs to ds xx

breezy
20-12-2011, 05:55 PM
hugs x, good advice given already, good luck!

littleguy1
21-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Aw bless you. I had a little muchkin who used to grab the other kids hair, especially my lo and it is really upsetting! He pinched the middle my lo's face 1 day whilst he was sleeping, I was mortified!!! But yes, like some1 else said, I watched the little monkey like a hawk after that and if he looked like he was going to do it, I'd give him 'the look'. Lol he was only 18 months bless him, but 'the look' was very powerful :)
Also, when you do finally get through the phase, and work with the parent to put strategies in place etc, I felt a great sense of pride after

ziggy
21-12-2011, 10:30 AM
I had a child who bit but sadly mummy didnt support me and in the end i had to ask her to take him away. Good job i did, as other mummy (with 2 full time children) was about to take her children to another minder

It is a difficult problem but hopefully if you can get parents support it will pass

My son bit a child at toddler group when he was 2, he's 32 now and thankfully no longer bites his friends:laughing:

rosebud
21-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Aw bless you. I had a little muchkin who used to grab the other kids hair, especially my lo and it is really upsetting! He pinched the middle my lo's face 1 day whilst he was sleeping, I was mortified!!! But yes, like some1 else said, I watched the little monkey like a hawk after that and if he looked like he was going to do it, I'd give him 'the look'. Lol he was only 18 months bless him, but 'the look' was very powerful :)
Also, when you do finally get through the phase, and work with the parent to put strategies in place etc, I felt a great sense of pride after

Yes "the look" is very powerful, it already works on my 12 month old mindee, usually when he's about to pull all the dvd's off the shelf. His hand kind of hovers near them and he keeps looking at me but doesn't touch them (until I've left the room!)

Chatterbox Childcare
21-12-2011, 04:07 PM
I had this years ago and we did an ABC chart to see why he was doing it. Until you find that out you need eyes in the back of your head

Monkey26
21-12-2011, 06:11 PM
I think my "look" must be rather fierce because earlier i was messing about with a child and pulled the look but in a jokey, side smile, kind of way (to let her know she was border line... going from messing around to hurting) and she backed off before bursting into tears! oops! xx