PDA

View Full Version : Older children are hard work..lol

JCrakers
20-12-2011, 01:50 PM
I have 1 extra boy this week as he has broken up from school. The school that I pick up from is still at school until Thurs (thank goodness!!)
Anyway, hes nearly 6yrs old and this morning we have played games, dominoes, done 3 lots of xmas crafts, drawing. Then I let him have free play with the two younger children (1 being his sister-2yrs) and a 3yr old.
After 5mins he was bored :rolleyes:
Now after lunch he wanted a DVD on so he chose one...10mins..bored of it. I only let the children into my lounge to watch TV if they can be sensible, sit and watch as its my lounge and I dont use it for work as such.

Everytime I leave the room hes bouncing around, touching things....arrrgghhh...lol

Older kids are so hard for me, they get bored so easily and need so much more.....I much prefer under 5's, they are so easy to entertain.....PHEW.Im going to be knackered by Friday

Tatjana
20-12-2011, 02:02 PM
I know what you mean, at 9.30am my 10 yeard old mindee announced she was bored, lol!! It's going to be a long and expensive day...along with her and my own older 2 they haven't stopped asking for snacks, think i'll be saying no more until dinner next time they ask.

AliceK
20-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Oh I know what you mean. Today I have 1 x 7yr old and 2 x 6yr olds plus 2 of my usual under 5's. The littlies are no problem (well not much anyway) the older ones have been running around like lunatics, starting to play something then get bored after 5 mins, arguing, playing too rough and like you BexC jumping all over the sofas in the lounge which I use as a quiet room. They are banned from there now today. They have done crafts and painting already today. It's going to be a long day and tomorrow I have 6 :panic: . Thank goodness tomorrow is my last working day :clapping: I'm seriously considering not doing school hols for over 5's anymore.

xxx

JCrakers
20-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Yes I think there will come a time where I just work with the under 5's which is what I love. I usually have a house full but they are at school and Im so pleased :D They usually just want to watch TV or play the wii and anything else they are not interested in. If I let them play with the toys they end up getting broken :( They are such hard work

My most stressful part of the day is the school run as the older ones just dont listen :angry: I do so love working with the younger children.

Pipsqueak
20-12-2011, 03:50 PM
I have (minding) my friends' kids one age 8 going on 18 - well he thinks he is. He has teenage attitude and thinks he can pull the wool over my eyes - durrrrrrrrrrrr don't think so...... he has been learning rapidly much to the the dumbfounded faces of my own kids - who i have caught gesturing to him - ie shaking their heads to tell him no don't do/say xyz..... (then gone told ya when i have caught him out).....

thankfully I know what he is like - a mega handful and he knows that I ain't him mum!

older kids... oh joy sigh

funemnx
20-12-2011, 05:35 PM
At the moment I've got all under 5's in the holidays but used to mind a group of children (4) who started at age 6 and stayed until 12 years old. It was fine when they all came together but when I only had one :eek: VERY hard work!

singingcactus
20-12-2011, 07:58 PM
I totally love my big kids right now. They are an awesome bunch of crazies :thumbsup: . I'm lost on days when I don't have them.

Mind you, my littlies are also ace tight now, and they all mesh well together too.

I used to prefer little kids, but my big kids are so ace at the moment I would gladly fill my home with them.

I think the real problems are the meshing of the two age groups. This is what can tire me out.

The Juggler
20-12-2011, 10:11 PM
lol, that's why I don't do schoolies any more - not in the hols anyway :panic: :panic: my own two are bad enough :laughing: :laughing:

rosebud
20-12-2011, 10:18 PM
lol, that's why I don't do schoolies any more - not in the hols anyway :panic: :panic: my own two are bad enough :laughing: :laughing:

Me too. I only have one 5 year old on odd days in the holidays and he's been coming from when he was a baby so is part of the furniture.

mushpea
21-12-2011, 07:32 AM
Ive just put a thread in the 'just members' section about this,, I would love to stop having the older ones but I worry that if I do then I will struggle finacialy,, as it turns out I have now secured another schoolie so gonna see how things go and not take anymore on.
I used to have a great bunch of schoolies and loved the hussle and bussle of it all but since september things have gone quite for one reason or another and now I only have the one who was hard work, hopefully now she will have somone other than me to play with she will calm down again.