PDA

View Full Version : sick child parents didnt collect

TRACEY1969
19-12-2011, 08:22 AM
:mad: i do have a policy on sick children and collection but this parent didnt even acknowledge my phone call or text. Mindee was very pale about 2hrs before pick up and all he done all day was sleep or lay down. I tried contacting the parents on both phones but no response. When they came to collect i did mention i tried to contact them a number of times and they said they never received anything. I want to write a letter to all parents now but don't know what to put in it. The parents knew i wasnt very happy but i still had to keep a professional approach with them even though i was fuming with them, any ideas please.

alwaysright
19-12-2011, 08:26 AM
apart from contacting emergency contacts i dont really know what else to suggest, if they are at work i would phone the work number rather than mobile and if they work from home i would send a txt to say you will be dropping them home!

Ripeberry
19-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Same as Kitty. Not everyone can use their mobiles at work.

christine e
19-12-2011, 08:35 AM
I think you need to have a strong word with parents and state that you must have an emergency number given to you where they can be contacted. On my child information form I ask for mobile number, home number, place of work number/and or place of study phone number. So if parent is a teacher I have mobile, home and school numbers

Cx

TRACEY1969
19-12-2011, 08:41 AM
i did ring dads works bacause he only works about 10 minutes away from me and he had gone home and the only live in the next street.

Mouse
19-12-2011, 09:07 AM
It sounds to me as if they knew their child was ill, so ignored any phone calls from you.

I've only had it happen once when I needed to send a child home, but couldn't contact either parent. I phoned the emergency contact and said the child had been sick, needed to be collected, but that I couldn't contact parents. I would try again, but if I didn't get to speak to them, they (emergency contact) would have to come & collect the child themselves.
I then left it 5 minutes and, low & behold, mum phoned! Emergency contact had obviously phoned her!

If you are going to write a letter I would say something along the lines of:

Due to a recent incident when one of the children was ill, but you were unable to contact either parent, you are writing to remind all parents of the need to ensure they are contactable at all times when the child is with you.
Would they please all check they have given you up to date phone numbers and that they let you know which number is best to contact them on.
In future, if you need to contact a parent to arrange collection of their child, but cannot get through to them, you will have no option but to contact the person/s named as emergency contacts and request that they come and collect the child.
As parents can understand, should there be an emergency it is vital that you can contact them quickly and easily.
Thanks for their help

EmmaReed84
19-12-2011, 09:37 AM
It sounds to me as if they knew their child was ill, so ignored any phone calls from you.

I've only had it happen once when I needed to send a child home, but couldn't contact either parent. I phoned the emergency contact and said the child had been sick, needed to be collected, but that I couldn't contact parents. I would try again, but if I didn't get to speak to them, they (emergency contact) would have to come & collect the child themselves.
I then left it 5 minutes and, low & behold, mum phoned! Emergency contact had obviously phoned her!

Due to a recent incident when one of the children was ill, but you were unable to contact either parent, you are writing to remind all parents of the need to ensure they are contactable at all times when the child is with you.
Would they please all check they have given you up to date phone numbers and that they let you know which number is best to contact them on.
In future, if you need to contact a parent to arrange collection of their child, but cannot get through to them, you will have no option but to contact the person/s named as emergency contacts and request that they come and collect the child.
As parents can understand, should there be an emergency it is vital that you can contact them quickly and easily.
Thanks for their help

Think this sounds great.

lorimac
19-12-2011, 09:55 AM
I would always try phoning first, if no reply I send a text simply saying " you need to contact me immediately" don't give them the option of knowing the child is sick because in this situation i've found that the less information you give on the text the more chance of an immediate reply to find out what's happened.If no reply within 15 minutes then the emergency contact is called to collect immediately.

EmmaReed84
19-12-2011, 10:09 AM
I know all to well the awful feeling you get when you are at work and your CM is calling you to say your child is ill and needs collecting. I used to work full time in a shop and felt the pressures of being a parent and being an employee not wanting to lose my job.

I used to dread it, I didnt get paid if I had to be off for my child, yet I still had to pay childcare and it would often cripple us. Now I am a CM I HATE having to call parents to collect their child as I know how hard it can be. Although I dont agree in ignoring the phone full stop, or NOT collecting the child I can remember how it used to feel knowing you were gonna be screwed

Mouse
19-12-2011, 10:16 AM
I know all to well the awful feeling you get when you are at work and your CM is calling you to say your child is ill and needs collecting. I used to work full time in a shop and felt the pressures of being a parent and being an employee not wanting to lose my job.

I used to dread it, I didnt get paid if I had to be off for my child, yet I still had to pay childcare and it would often cripple us. Now I am a CM I HATE having to call parents to collect their child as I know how hard it can be. Although I dont agree in ignoring the phone full stop, or NOT collecting the child I can remember how it used to feel knowing you were gonna be screwed

That's why I only ever send children home if they are really ill. In 15yrs of childminding I have propbably only sent children home 10 times, if that. I've been a mum working out of the home, so I know how difficult it can be.

But, if the child is throwing up & clearly not well, then you really have no option.

The Juggler
19-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Same as Kitty. Not everyone can use their mobiles at work.

no but they will have a landline. parents either need to have a landline number for their office direct line or a central number so someone in reception/the office can reach them in an emergency.

or they need to give a number of someone who CAN collect.

miffy
19-12-2011, 05:59 PM
I

Thanks for their help

I think this wording is great - gets the point across in a pleasant way. :thumbsup:

Miffy xx