PDA

View Full Version : Overnight about me and fire safety policy

Trpta108
18-12-2011, 12:45 PM
I have just been registered for overnight care, and was thinking about writing an night time fire safety policy and an about me form, especially for overnight. I was thinking of including things like 'do you read a bedtime story?', 'does your child have a drink before bedtime?', 'does your child have a special comforter for bedtime?'. Does anyone else have something like that? Would you be happy to share ideas? Also what do you charge for overnight?

Pauline
18-12-2011, 01:50 PM
I don't do overnight care but I think it sounds a great idea.

How about "What do you do if your child wakes in the night?" - they might have a special routine, perhaps getting them a drink of water or just give them a cuddle and it would help you if you knew what the child expected.

:)

rachelmama
18-12-2011, 05:05 PM
It does sound a great idea would you need a spare room for this :)

Trpta108
18-12-2011, 10:32 PM
It does sound a great idea would you need a spare room for this :)

I don't. I have a spare bed, which the inspector was happy with.

Trpta108
18-12-2011, 10:33 PM
I don't do overnight care but I think it sounds a great idea.

How about "What do you do if your child wakes in the night?" - they might have a special routine, perhaps getting them a drink of water or just give them a cuddle and it would help you if you knew what the child expected.

:)

Thank you Pauline, I will add that.

jumpinjen
19-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Mine expected to see all that before she registered me for overnight!! I make sure that i have a very comprehensive list of emergency contacts for overnight, and that I ask about routines, problems that might occur (bed wetting, nightmares, sleep walking, illness such as asthma which are often more likely to be problematic at night due to airways closing slightly). I ask about children's preferences such as night lights etc but discuss compromises with parents as if their child shares a room with mine, then they can't have a night light as mine don't! I have always found though that the children see it as 'one set of rules at Jen's house and one set at home' and have had children who insisted on sleeping with a fistful of dummies at home and never even asked for one at my house, and children who wake 8 times a night at home and sleep through 12 hours with me so they quickly settle into being here. I take their base routine from home and tweak it to suit what I can offer. I leave a light on in the hallway so the children can find their way to the bathroom in the night safely if they are old enough to be out. I would reccommend waterproof base sheets as I have found often that children who are normally dry at night are more likely to wet occasionally when parents are away. As for fire policy, Ofsted told me that they didn't really care if my fire policy included an unregistered room, just that I got the children out if there was a fire! I keep a fire emergency pack in my upstairs room with a bottle of water and flannels for making wet breathing masks and a list of contacts including next door neighbours mobiles and landlines for help in the night as my hubby works nights. I adapted it to included which room we would try to gather in if there was a fire, and to stuff blankets around the door frame etc. I also have a check list covering stair gates, keys in window locks, daily smoke alarm checks, front door locked, back door locked, downstairs windows shut etc before I go to bed Good luck! Jen x

Trpta108
19-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Mine expected to see all that before she registered me for overnight!! I make sure that i have a very comprehensive list of emergency contacts for overnight, and that I ask about routines, problems that might occur (bed wetting, nightmares, sleep walking, illness such as asthma which are often more likely to be problematic at night due to airways closing slightly). I ask about children's preferences such as night lights etc but discuss compromises with parents as if their child shares a room with mine, then they can't have a night light as mine don't! I have always found though that the children see it as 'one set of rules at Jen's house and one set at home' and have had children who insisted on sleeping with a fistful of dummies at home and never even asked for one at my house, and children who wake 8 times a night at home and sleep through 12 hours with me so they quickly settle into being here. I take their base routine from home and tweak it to suit what I can offer. I leave a light on in the hallway so the children can find their way to the bathroom in the night safely if they are old enough to be out. I would reccommend waterproof base sheets as I have found often that children who are normally dry at night are more likely to wet occasionally when parents are away. As for fire policy, Ofsted told me that they didn't really care if my fire policy included an unregistered room, just that I got the children out if there was a fire! I keep a fire emergency pack in my upstairs room with a bottle of water and flannels for making wet breathing masks and a list of contacts including next door neighbours mobiles and landlines for help in the night as my hubby works nights. I adapted it to included which room we would try to gather in if there was a fire, and to stuff blankets around the door frame etc. I also have a check list covering stair gates, keys in window locks, daily smoke alarm checks, front door locked, back door locked, downstairs windows shut etc before I go to bed Good luck! Jen x

Thankyou Jen, I like the idea about the checklist, I will make one of those. And what is a wet mask? I guess it is to avoid breathing smoke is that right, haven't heard of it before. Thanks again for your helpful reply.

jumpinjen
19-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Hi, glad it helped, yes just to cut down on the amount of smoke you breathe in if things get that bad :(

Hugs, Jen x