PDA

View Full Version : Retainer fees

Mrs M
19-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Hello,
I have some parents interested in sending their son to me four days per week. They don't live in the same town as me so I have offered to do a collection for which I'll be charging half hour rate (do you think that's acceptable?)
One of their questions is regarding them having another baby. Although she's not pregnant yet, they're thinking of trying for another child. When she's on mat leave she'll be wanting to take her son out of my setting but then sending him back possibly with the new child if I had space. Would I charge them a retainer fee for the whole six months they took him out? That seems extautionate. However, I can't keep a place open for them if I don't charge can I? I'm also looking at losing out for six months.
Really want this contract. They're very impressed with me and want to take their son out of Nursery to be with me.
Thanks,
Emma x

angeldelight
19-05-2008, 01:20 PM
To be honest Emma I dont think I would even worry about this yet if she is not even pregnant - it could take her ages and you might find yourself in a different situation then anyway

I looked after a child for a few years and when his mom became pregnant I had a large deposit from her to keep the place open - and that worked well

Bit different though if they took the little boy out of your setting for 6 mths also

Think I would just wait and see what happens and concentrate on the little boy for the time being
Just tell mom you will talk about it when / if it happens with a new pregnancy

Good luck with the little boy

Angel xx

sarah707
19-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Sounds like a nice one for you Emma - just be a bit careful with doing collections.

I used to offer it some time ago and it was ok to start with, but then when I went to collect the child wasn't ready and I was hanging around, I was invited in and ended up sitting on their sofa listening to mother battling to put shoes on little one... it was so silly, I was sat there for 10 / 15 minutes some mornings...

I'd just say make your ground rules very clear about how long you're prepared to wait.. and charge for how long it takes not how long you think it might take.

Good luck! :D

miffy
19-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Just wanted to wish you luck with this

miffy xx

HilaryT
19-05-2008, 05:56 PM
I agree about wait and see what the mother wants if and when a pregnancy happens. People change their minds and situations so much, I have been let down about so-called promised bookings after a second child is born. Sometimes the mother decides to give up work completely. One thing at a time!

Collecting a child does have its problems - what about other children who may wish to arrive at your house at the same time you're out collecting?

Good luck!
Hilary

Hannahlg
28-05-2008, 01:44 PM
if she is taking the child put of your care for 6 months and still wont to bring him and baby back after i would charge for it

we have mum who had a baby in novmber but the little boy she also has still comes his 2 days a week, but we have kept the babies place open for when it starts free of charge

christine e
28-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Hi
I agree with others as mum isn't even pregnant yet then don't worry about it yet. In similar situations though I have still looked after the first child and charged and saved a place for the new baby. I don't think it would be wise to hold a place for 2 children for six months without the older one still attending.
Good luck
Christine