PDA

View Full Version : Slapped cheek????

casey's mum
19-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Has anyone any experience of slapped cheek?
LO came this morning with mum stating didn't sleep very well last night and that she had caught sun yesterday on face.
It wasn't particularly sunny here yesterday. Lo isn't her normal self but that could be because she tired. Her cheeks are very red and she has also had some nasty nappies over the last week which I know are both symptoms of slapped cheek.
None of mine have ever had it so I dont know what it looks like or what I should be looking for.
Any ideas?

LOOPYLISA
19-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Has anyone any experience of slapped cheek?
LO came this morning with mum stating didn't sleep very well last night and that she had caught sun yesterday on face.
It wasn't particularly sunny here yesterday. Lo isn't her normal self but that could be because she tired. Her cheeks are very red and she has also had some nasty nappies over the last week which I know are both symptoms of slapped cheek.
None of mine have ever had it so I dont know what it looks like or what I should be looking for.
Any ideas?

I have no idea ive never heard of it !!! x:idea:

Polly2
19-05-2008, 10:57 AM
have a look here
http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=424&sectionId=10

cloud9
19-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Hi casey's mum both of my kids have had it,The ill child typically has a "slapped-cheek" rash on the face and a lacy red rash on the trunk and limbs. It made my daughter all itch but not my son.

They both had a fever, and a "cold" a few days before the rash came out.

Apparantly The child is usually not very ill, and the rash resolves in 7 to 10 days but my daughter in particular was really rough with it.

If it is a strong enough case the rash on the cheek actually looks like handprints, hence the name!.

If you are worried about the little'un i'd ask the mum to get her checked out at the doctors.
On the up side if she now has the rash she isn't contagious anymore, its before it comes out.
But on the downside slapped cheeks is really harmful to anyone pregnant so it may also be worth pointing this out to mum. Hope this helps:)

I apparantly had it when i was little and when the doctor told my mum the rash was from slapped cheeks she said how dare he accuse her of slapping her child!!:clapping:

casey's mum
19-05-2008, 11:07 AM
thanks all thats great!

katickles
19-05-2008, 11:19 AM
There was a thread on this a while back - if you search the forum i'm sure you'll find it but i wll look in a mo!

In saying that about slapped check - my mindee today has turned up with rosy check & last week had rotten nappies - dad says that he has a new tooth on the move & i agree with dad.

Hope your mindee is ok soon :)

miffy
19-05-2008, 11:29 AM
I have excluded a child today with this.

My own children had this when small and the GP advice then was to keep them off school/playgroup for a few days.

I know the current thinking is not to exclude once the rash is out but the medical advice is also that they should rest and I don't see how they can do that when I need to be going to collect from playgroups and school.

Thanks for the link Holly

miffy xx

ajs
19-05-2008, 11:52 AM
my mindee had this a few weeks ago.
apparently it can be quite dangerous for prgnant mums in the first trimester so you may need to warn some parents too

mrsb
19-05-2008, 11:57 AM
This went through the pre school I work at last year, it is really bad for adults if they get it - at least it was for 7 of our staff. So be careful if you can lol ;)

miffy
19-05-2008, 12:23 PM
This went through the pre school I work at last year, it is really bad for adults if they get it - at least it was for 7 of our staff. So be careful if you can lol ;)

A childminder friend of mine had this a few weeks ago - she was really poorly and had to have a few days off work.

miffy xx

casey's mum
19-05-2008, 12:37 PM
I totally agree with excluding LO if it is this. Have spoken to Dad and expressed my concern and suggested maybe an appointment to see doc to have it checked. Trouble is I dont know if it defo this as she is not 2 for a couple of weeks and from what I have read it doesn't usually affect ones so young. She could just be teething or she may have caught the sun yesterday and just be tired from a restless night.
Have been checking her temp and even though she warm it not really high. Do you think it ok to wait untill home time (5pm) because of my uncertainty or would you ask for LO to be collected now?

miffy
19-05-2008, 12:43 PM
If the child is unwell then phone the parent and ask them to collect.

If you want them to see the GP but are happy to keep the child then phone and ask them to make an appointment with the GP for this evening.

Reading the information on the NHS site it does say that exposure to the sun can make the condition flare up

Good luck

miffy xx

casey's mum
20-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Mum took LO to Doctors after collecting her. No slapped cheek just teething and caught the sun a little! Doctor said he could see why I had mentioned the slapped cheek and that the combination of the teething and catching the sun gave very similar symptoms!
I dont feel quite so foolish with him saying that! :blush:
LO returned today a diff child thank goodness!

angeldelight
20-05-2008, 09:05 AM
Thats good to know

Glad the little one is a bit better today

Angel xx