PDA

View Full Version : Term Time only

Tatjana
15-12-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm finding myself a bit miffed with my term time mindee contract. The parent is a teacher and wanted term time only which I didn't mind as rather like having holidays with only my children, but i'm finding it all not quite as I imagined.

My children finish school tomorrow, I found out this week that the term time mindee will be coming next week as mum's school is doesn't close yet.

No doubt will be returning later too so I'll not have mindee when my own children will be at school.

So much for having the hols with my children only:rolleyes:

It's my own fault for not realising schools will have different holiday times.:idea:

onceinabluemoon
15-12-2011, 07:27 PM
its too late for this holiday but get parents in for a contract review and change the contract to xxx school terms rather than 'term time'. Also make sure you have something written about Bakers days, snow days etc so you are not expected to work a full day if you don't want to.

Carol M
15-12-2011, 07:30 PM
I always state to TTO parents that the term dates I stick to are Worcestershire dates as published on the website.I do have children from other counties too so advise I will try and accommodate date differences and I usually can, if I feel like it :D
Carol xx

Ripeberry
15-12-2011, 07:37 PM
I'm on the border of two counties and thankfully the schools around here don't vary much, might be the odd day here and there where the dates overlap, but it's not been a problem even with my main mindee's mum working in a private school.

sarah707
15-12-2011, 07:47 PM
I look after children from 2 schools... dd goes to college... ds goes to high school... dp works in a different school... so that's 5 different places and they all have slightly different holidays through the year :rolleyes:

It drives me potty, especially at the start and end of term trying to remember where to be and when and who I am meeting and which playground :laughing:

I tend to find the extra days at the end of term balance with inset days... eventually :D

Zoomie
15-12-2011, 08:39 PM
its too late for this holiday but get parents in for a contract review and change the contract to xxx school terms rather than 'term time'. Also make sure you have something written about Bakers days, snow days etc so you are not expected to work a full day if you don't want to.

what are bakers days ?

samb
15-12-2011, 09:16 PM
what are bakers days ?

When I was little we used to call INSET days baker days although I have no idea why or where it came from?!

The Juggler
15-12-2011, 09:34 PM
I always state to TTO parents that the term dates I stick to are Worcestershire dates as published on the website.I do have children from other counties too so advise I will try and accommodate date differences and I usually can, if I feel like it :D
Carol xx

same here I had a private school mum and told her i would give her 13 weeks retainer free but in line with local LA dates not the private school. I now have a mum who is in another borough and told her I will be sticking to my LA dates. If they overlap and I work extra dates they are chargeable.

Tatjana, I would have a contract review with this mum and tell her this is what it will be from here on in hon. Tell her you didn't realise when you agreed and the reason you offer t-time only with no retainer is to spend time with your own kids, if you arent' getting any extra time with your own kids there is no benefit to you of not charging a retainer. :(

Tatjana
15-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the advice, a review of contract sounds like a good idea.

What should I say though, that term time will apply to my childrens school term time? And she pays according to that?

I still have so much to learn and consider!!

The Juggler
15-12-2011, 10:24 PM

What should I say though, that term time will apply to my childrens school term time? And she pays according to that?

def. hon. cos there is no advantage to working t-time only if you don't get any time to spend on your own with your kids when they are off

angeldelight
16-12-2011, 07:17 AM

Think of the extra money next week for Christmas though :clapping:

Treat yourself to something nice

Angel xx

Tatjana
16-12-2011, 08:15 AM
Think of the extra money next week for Christmas though :clapping:

Treat yourself to something nice

Angel xx

That's how i'm looking at it and the fact he's so easy to look after helps.

rickysmiths
16-12-2011, 08:41 AM
I think that is a bit mean.

What is a teacher mum supposed to do on those odd days that don't exactly match your children's holidays?

I think it would be fairer to give notice if it really is such a problem for you and stick to taking children from your own children's school so the holidays match. Remember to put in your contract that you will not cover Inset Days.

For a few years I only used to do before and after school, while my two were in Reception to Year 3. I had some of the children in the holidays and on training days. We used to go out on visits to museums etc.

My children loved it. They thought they always had friends home after school . They got to go on the outings we would have gone on anyway but with friends. They didn't realise I was getting paid for it :laughing:

The Juggler
16-12-2011, 12:45 PM
I think that is a bit mean.

What is a teacher mum supposed to do on those odd days that don't exactly match your children's holidays?

I think it would be fairer to give notice if it really is such a problem for you and stick to taking children from your own children's school so the holidays match. Remember to put in your contract that you will not cover Inset Days.

For a few years I only used to do before and after school, while my two were in Reception to Year 3. I had some of the children in the holidays and on training days. We used to go out on visits to museums etc.

My children loved it. They thought they always had friends home after school . They got to go on the outings we would have gone on anyway but with friends. They didn't realise I was getting paid for it :laughing:

ricky i would never refuse to work it if they needed me but I WOULD expect extra payment for it. If I'm offering 13 weeks a year free with no retainer so I can spend time with my kids, I don't want to then end up working it, losing time with my kids and no extra money. I don't think that is mean is it to want to spend that time alone with your children if your unique selling point is that you offer t-time only :blush: :( The parents are told this at the start though. I also cover inset if needed.

I'm sure Tatjana could arrange that if this happens again she will cover at least some of the days and family maybe able to help out the other days so she gets the best of both worlds (helping out the mindee mum AND spending some time with her kids).:)

Tatjana
16-12-2011, 08:59 PM
I can't see the mum thinking it fair to give her notice! She's so happy that her lo is settled and happy with me, whereas he wasn't happy or settled where he was previously which caused her a lot of stress.

It's not 'such a problem' just something I hadn't considered when I agreed to TTO.

I'm sure it'll all work out fine.:)