PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy advice needed

CreativeJourney
15-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Hi All,

I have been childminding only since September and have a good relationship with all the parents.
I have just found out I am pregnant, yay...however am soo worried about telling my parents especially when I have a new child starting in January and Im worried (however not due till July). I am literally only taking off the minimal amount of time possible and actually for two weeks of this time I had already booked it off as unpaid holiday.
I just wondered if there are any other childminders who have had to give parents this news before and how they took it. Also I just wondered how other childminders had organised it in what time they had taken off?

Thanks

Childminder8608
15-12-2011, 02:17 PM
I had a little boy last July when I'd been childminding for a year. I took the full 9 months off though, do you know you get maternity pay from the govt? They obviously all just left and I got new parents when I went back. You might really resent not taking full leave so I'd have a think about it x

Becci26
15-12-2011, 03:54 PM
I had a little boy last July when I'd been childminding for a year. I took the full 9 months off though, do you know you get maternity pay from the govt? They obviously all just left and I got new parents when I went back. You might really resent not taking full leave so I'd have a think about it x

Do we really get maternity pay from the government?!?! :clapping: :clapping:

That is such good news for me as we are going to be TTC after our wedding next year, YAY!!

To the OP, sorry I've hijacked the thread!!

tulip0803
15-12-2011, 04:01 PM
You will only get Matternity Allowance if you meet certain criteria. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Expectingorbringingupchildren/DG_10018869

JMcG
15-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Congratulations! I think there's no way of telling how the parents will take it but like you said of you already have a good relationship I'm sure it'll be fine.

I'd just get all your facts together before you tell them:
- when you intend to start your leave
- how long you intend to take off
- have you considered if the baby will affect the numbers you are allowed and if this affects any of the children you already look after
- do you know any other childminders that would be willing to take your mindees on for the period of your maternity cover?
- do you know of any other childcare options they could use while you are off?

My sister in law had a baby and took 9 months off childminding and all her mindees came back to her afterward which was pretty cool! So it can work. Good luck, hope it all works out.

CreativeJourney
15-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Thanks for your replies. I know that we get maternity allowance off the government but its really not a lot and dont think I could go back to that sort of money.
My numbers will only be affected for a short while, I was hoping to have the whole of August off and be back in time for school starting back. I have a daughter starting school in next September so baby will take over from her on the ratios. It would just affect (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) the numbers for the few weeks when my daughter is doing half days etc settling in in reception.
One my full time mindees is also only term time so if Im back working for September this wont effect him. Well I dont intend to tell them untill my 12week scan which is not untill a couple of couple of weeks so I have some time. I think its the parent of the mindee who starts in January who will be a bit miffed with me, she may argue I should have told her before he started...we will see.

Thanks again

snufflepuff
15-12-2011, 07:12 PM
I'm also due in July. I have told one parent (for various reasons) and will tell the other 2 parents after my scan. I'm taking at least 9 months off, preferably more (when I account for the fact that I won't have any expenses, I won't actually be that much worse off on maternity allowance.) My son starts school in Spet 2013 so i'm hoping we can manage financially until just before then- then I can start doing before and after school care perhaps. If I come back to minding at all!

moogster1a
16-12-2011, 07:39 AM
this has happened to me twice.
Once I took 2 weeks off, the next time I took off the Summer holidays, so 6 weeks. All the parents stayed with me ( I presume 'cos I took so little time off ).
having the other kids about was really useful at keeping my older boy amused
also, if you keep the same mindees, you would always get a variation if your own baby takes you over numbers as it would be continuity of care.
It's worked out fab. for me and I wouldn't dream of taking off 9 months I wouldn't know what to do with myself!!.
Yes, you get SMPay so I was better off than if I'd taken it holiday 'cos I don't charge for my hols!
Congrats.

Mel_Johnson
16-12-2011, 11:19 AM
I've just told my parents that I am pregnant. I had my 12 week scan this week and told them the day after. I have a really good relationship with all my parents. I haven't mention how long I am taking, when I will finish etc because it is so early on. I just told them informally, they were all really please for us. I was really surprise that none of them was worried about my time off etc just happy for us. I will I plan to work until my due date (2nd July) if I can, but not sure how long I can afford to take off yet.

The Juggler
16-12-2011, 12:37 PM
lots of advice, just wanted to say congratulations!:clapping:

CreativeJourney
17-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Thanks for all your advice and comments, Im probably worrying about nothing. I am to hoping to work up till due date and have August off, with it being Summer Holidays I am hoping that will make things easier for them to find other care, possibly going on holiday themselves. I also have a couple of childminder friends who the children know so hopefully they may have room to help. Thanks again.