PDA

View Full Version : Very quiet child

buzzy bee
15-12-2011, 09:45 AM
I look after an 18 month old boy who is VERY quiet.

He only says a couple of words, and very rarely makes any noise at all. He only ever cries if he's hurt.

If I go to make lunch I'll usually come back in the room to find him sitting in a corner doing nothing.

When he comes in in the morning, or if we go to a group, if I don't find him something to play with he will just stand there. He would stand in the middle of a room or in a corner all morning and be happy, if I didn't give him something to do.

Is this normal?!

Pipsqueak
15-12-2011, 09:55 AM
It might be normal for him

I think what you need to do is speakF sensitively with the parents and find out what he is like at home, what interactions he gets at home etc.

First of all what is his hearing like? Does he respond to noises/his name

Is he just clingy and needs someone with him perhaps - by this is he used to someone at home doing EVERYthing for him and entertaining him every second

Lots of gentle encouragement etc

do some focused observations and build up and evidence bank - use the EYFS for some guidance.

get in touch with your EY interventions team and ask for some advice and guidance

angeldelight
15-12-2011, 11:03 AM
It could be normal

My daughter was the same and all through school people made a big deal of it

She is very chatty now she is in her 20s although some people do not realise till she does chat
She can sit in a room listening to everyone else and be happy to do that

Just keep your eye on the situation but do not make a big thing of it

My daughter got a complex in the end because others were always making comments about it

Angel xx