PDA

View Full Version : 3 x 1 year olds - Am I mad?

JMcG
15-12-2011, 12:59 AM
Hi - I've been asked if I will have a little boy full time in March. I also have my own daughter who will be one by then, and I have another little boy also around one year old.

I dont look after any other kids, apart from my older daughter who is nearly 8. And I do find it fairly easy going looking after the two little ones I've already got as long as I organise my day the night before but would I be asking for trouble taking on another so young?

I've planned in my head sleeping, eating arrangements and I've seen a fab triple buggy that fits through normal doorways etc. I can also pretty much walk most places we need to get to within 15 mins.

I'm just wondering if there's any of the practical aspects I haven't thought of? Or if there's anyone else who has done this?

It would be good to hear your thoughts!

Xx

onceinabluemoon
15-12-2011, 07:02 AM
I have two one year olds (both one and a half now) and a 9 month old and have done since September.

I would say think very carefully. It is easy when they are all being happy and cooperative however I have just had one who's had ear infections one after another and screaming constantly in pain, and the baby has developed separation anxiety and screams like a banshee. I am exhausted by midday and still have six hours to work. That's been like it for the last 3 months and is only just beginning to subside.

Of course it can be lots of fun too (especially when you go to the park and they all toddle off in different directions and you have to choose which one to follow!) but it can also be mind blowingly difficult.

I'm not trying to put you off, but most people just say 'oh yes its fun go for it' without thinking about when things don't go to plan (you can't plan for illnesses that make toddlers whinge all day or exclude for teething etc) so I am just trying to put forward another view. For what it worth I had three one year olds two years ago and didn't have anything like the amount of problems I've had this time. I think it depends on the kiddies you care for.

Good luck if you decide to go for it. :)

boxtree7
15-12-2011, 07:33 AM
Wait till they are all 2 year olds. You can do it do .............. mine all nap at the same time and that really breaks up the day. Mine are not all full time so that also makes everyday difference.

miffy
15-12-2011, 07:48 AM
I've never had three that young at the same time but it sounds like very hard work to me!

Miffy xx

solly
15-12-2011, 08:03 AM
I have had 3 x 1 yr olds a few years back and although I only had them altogether 3 days a week I found it very rewarding (Before EYFS) but also very hard work at times the three i had there was only 2 weeks between them in age.

I was things like feeding i often had trouble with as if i was feeding one the others would want feeding to occasionally they all went down for a sleep together but there were times they didn't and that was when I found I did not have a break in the day.

Good luck if you decided to do it :)

mama2three
15-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Ive had 3 together - 1 10 months 1 14 months and 1 16 months. Very hard work , no rest at all , struggle to even pop to the loo never mind get a cuppa! , but incredibly rewarding.
Ive got to say i think it gets harder when they are around 2 and all running off in different directions!!

Penny1959
15-12-2011, 08:56 AM
I have 4 under 2's most days on my own

It is very hard work once they are all moving - and especially when in the 'mine' stage of development which co insides with the 'lets tip everything on the floor' stage.

Going out is a logistic nightmare - coats, shoes, keeping all safe while get into buggy or car. Parks are both wonderful and riddled with risks as all go off in different directions and try things that not yet capable of.

And the nappies - some days the house constantly smells of poo as as soon as changed one- another goes.

Three of mine are going to be two in Jan (and other one in April) I know things will get get better and then having 4 the same age will be fantastic as they all become more idependant and capable to do more things - such as crafts without so much adult support.

So think carefully - and maybe suggest an extended settling in period - so you can be really sure that it will work out for you.

Good Luck

Penny :)

JMcG
15-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Thanks Ladies. I think I'll give it a try. As I mentioned one of the babies is my own and she's incredibly happy and chilled out. The other to are both friends babies and I've known them both from birth. They are both very active little boys but again always very happy and easy going, they don't seem at all clingy or fussy which helps!

I think an extended settling in period for the 3rd baby sounds like a good idea. Make sure that me and mum are both happy with the arrangment.

Keep our fingers crossed for me!

The Juggler
15-12-2011, 11:03 AM
i'm about to do this for the first time come Feb, but only on a Friday.

I will have 17 months, 14 months, 6 months and a nearly 3 year old (sibling of youngest baby).

littluns
08-01-2012, 10:07 PM
I've got 12-month-old twin boys and about to start minding a little boy who is just 4 days younger than my two! My boys are obviously used to having to share me and wait their turn and the other boy is very chilled out. I figure that triplet-mums cope so why can't I?

If anyone has any ideas about activities to do with three children this age I would be really grateful.

The Juggler
09-01-2012, 02:02 PM
i'm doing it in feb/march but just for one day. will have a toddler too on those days.

I will have 4 all the other days but 2 x 1yr and 2 x 3 year olds which is ok.

I think I will be close to the house and use my garden on the Fridays until they are capably walkign anyway.:)

snufflepuff
09-01-2012, 02:10 PM
I had three one year olds for a while. It wasn't all that bad! Getting out and about was tricky- I used a double with a buggy board on the back. It was hard to push so we didn't go far, just to local parks mostly. They generally played very well together, and even slept at the same time for a good while so I got 20-30 minutes of peace and quiet, lol! The youngest took a while to settle in and was a real screamer, which made things very difficult to begin with- but once she had settled in it was fine. Hard work but not as much hard work as nowadays with three 2 year olds and a grumpy one year old!

muffins
09-01-2012, 04:20 PM
On a tuesday I have 3 1yr olds & a 2yr old! The hardest thing I find is getting from the house to the car & back again, I will put 2 in the buggy & then 2 in the car, then back for the 2 in the buggy! I can see them at all times & they are only a couple meters away in the buggy but it stops them from running off while I strap the other 2 in! I only use a double as we don't go far! Its more of a case of logistics!:laughing:

*daisychain*
09-01-2012, 04:51 PM
since starting cm in Oct I have had 3 full timers 8month, 12 month and my 14 month.My boy was a bit jealous at first but he's used to it now. I havent known any different, and as a mother as twins it's nothing new.
We only go to playgroup once a week andgo on short walks with a double buggy and smallest in a carrier, or one of my teenagers will come and push a buggy when they finish school. Having 3 the same age also means saving money not having to buy loads of toys for different ages which is a godsend when your just starting out.
Good luck and enjoy !

nikki thomson
09-01-2012, 05:24 PM
It's alot of hard work, I've never had three that age just two, I think if you can get them into a good routine and they all sleep for a couple of hours after lunch you'll be fine and on the bright side you get to give them back at the end of the day.... A friend of ours has a 3yr old a 9mth old and is 13weeks pregnant with TRIPLETS!!!!!!!. X

waterwaybabies
11-01-2012, 01:11 PM
erm??? YES. lol

JMcG
13-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the comments! The third little one fell through anyway as the little one's grandma came to live with the family and look after him for a while. Fair enough I wouldn't say no to free childcare!

Its so funny though, every single enquiry I've had since has been about looking after a 10month - 1 year old! It's like I'm totally destined to do it.

So got a family coming on Sunday to visit me, maybe it'll actually happen this time! I do hope so I'm quite looking forward to the challenge and the rewards of seeing the little ones grow and develop together! Need the cash too as my previous employers want the maternity pay back... pants!

*fingers crossed tightly*

miffy
13-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Good luck for Sunday

Bad luck having to pay back your mat benefits :(

Miffy xx

JMcG
13-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks Miffy! x