PDA

View Full Version : Dropping nap - activity ideas please

mgtrem
14-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Hi all,

my almost 3 yr old mindee has dropped her after lunch nap at home but still has it here at the mo. I get the impression her paretns are going to ask me to stop it soon! We have talked before about the possibility and I said I needed time after lunch to clean the kitchen, tidy playroom, prepare tea, get afterschool activity ready and if I'm lucky have a bit of lunch and a cuppa!! I suggested that mindee might be able to watch TV for 30mins while I sort everything out. They have said no to TV watching which has left me wondering what I should do. Its not like I'm gonna leave her in front of the TV all day. Currently we never have the tv on as we dont really have the need. I'm not against the tv, in fact i wish my ds would watch it sometimes so I could tidy up before hubby gets home!!

So just looking for ideas of what your non-nappers do for down time after lunch that allows you the time to sort everyrhing out

Thanks in advance

Helen79
14-12-2011, 02:05 PM
At the minute all mine nap after lunch but on the days that they don't nap at the same time they do quiet activities like jigsaws, aquadraw or get a big stack of books out that they can read while I eat my lunch.
If I need to clean the kitchen they sit at the kitchen table colouring or playdough so that they're with me and I can get on and do things I need to and they're safe and happy playing and I can still chat to them.

kellib
14-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Will she do some colouring or a jigsaw maybe?

loocyloo
14-12-2011, 05:09 PM
for those that are not napping after lunch, they read books or listen to an audio cd. do puzzles or quiet colouring etc whilst i am tidying up and preparing for the rest of the day!

i do sometimes put on a dvd or tv, if something suitable on. i tell all parents that whilst we don't watch lots of television, not even every week, sometimes it is a good learning tool, or nice to do!

x

rosebud
14-12-2011, 05:33 PM
They just potter about and play with whatever is out. They know that once I've done tidying then I'll sit and do something with them so they're happy just to get on with it.

miffy
14-12-2011, 05:40 PM
At almost three I'd expect her to be able to play by herself for a short time whilst you clear up. If she wants to be close to you then I'd put quiet activities like jigsaws, colouring etc in the kitchen so you can chat to her whilst you work.

Miffy xx

sarah707
14-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Like Miffy says a 3 year old should be able to play independently for a while so you can get your jobs done. I certainly don't interact with the children all day here... they go off and do their own thing.

However what concerns me more is the parent saying 'no' to the television. Your daily routine should be shared with the child's family as required by the Eyfs and if the routine includes a short rest period after lunch which might or might not include some television time then that is for the parents to respect.

You have to be able to do your job! I think you need another word with them.

Hth :D

dette
14-12-2011, 08:49 PM
If i switched kids tv off then my DS 3 would probably leave home...he likes it on quietly all day and just dips in and out when he wants toMy mindee4 loves dvds and i put one on about 2 ish each day for some down time .shes with me for 11 hours a day and cannot be expected to just keep going or dad will have a really tired grumpy girl at the end of every day.I love hearing her quoting bits of the film and joining in with the songs..weve had matilda on every day for 2 weeks now.i used to like that film !!!.We are childminders and parents send their children to be in a home environment.I dont think i know of a single person who doesnt at some point in their day, watch some television.Dont be dictated to.What will they do if another child in your setting wants the tv on instead of a nap in the afternoon.Will they expect their child to be excluded from the activity or perhaps a blind fold and earmuffs !!

Vickster
14-12-2011, 10:06 PM
My DD (2.5) doesn't nap and like you I need a break. Something Special and Mister Maker are cues that the others are going to sleep and my daughter lies on the sofa like a zombie while I run around like a mad woman tidying, doing dinner etc! Not ideal, but essential. If I am in the kitchen after school pick up doing dinner etc, everyone sits at the table with me! I put small world, drawing etc on there and cars!

candlequeen
14-12-2011, 10:19 PM
My daughter helps and my 2 1/2 year old mindee help clear up after lunch sometimes. Dustpan and brush to sweep up crumbs from under the table (to save my old knees), wiping kitchen cupboards and surfaces with a J-cloth, helping with the washing up (using a clean sponge to "dry" things for me). Otherwise they should be able to do drawing/colouring/jigsaws if they're on their own. But if I'm in the mood and they are in the mood, they will watch TV for half an hour.

I decided to do a TV policy which I give to parents at the beginning, as although I've had no problems with parents, I know from other minders it can be a difficult issue. My policy states that over 2s will be allowed to watch up to 40 minutes of suitable TV per day.

The Juggler
14-12-2011, 10:48 PM
for my 3 1/2 year old last year whilst babies were sleeping, we usually did something together after I cleaned up lunch dishes, either cooking, out in garden, gardening or play a boardgame, snap etc. Then I had my lunch, when she either played in the other room with smallworld, dollies or read or she sat with me whilst I ate and did cutting, glluing, drawing and just chatted to me. It was lovely actually.

When she was younger she was my first non sleeper at 2. My other toddlers did sleep so they slept and she lay on sofa too with books and just read whilst they napped.:)

singlewiththree
15-12-2011, 08:19 AM
After discussion with parents all my children aged 16mths, 3 and 3 go into pushchairs after lunch for "rest" if they aren't asleep by 15 minutes (or me finishing a brew) then they get out and do quiet activities while the others sleep, easy no help craft, playdoh, reading to themselves, colouring, watching a themed dvd such as the bear hunt (10mins) hungry caterpillar or whatever theme we are doing at the moment. Lately its the my first christmas dvd games which they are excellent at using the remote to find the answers while I wash up and give it a quick sweep then we sit together and they usually want books until the others wake up while enjoying a cuddle

mgtrem
15-12-2011, 04:39 PM
THanks for all the replies.

Good to get some ideas if what to do with her. She only comes 1.5 days a week and is very quiet (only been with me 2 months) and not very good at engaging in activities on her own.

Will def mention TV to parents again and think the TV policy is a great idea to have.

Thanks again everyone

ziggy
15-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Since when did childminders become children's entertainers???? Sorry but I had 4 here today aged 15months, 18months and then two 3yr olds. After lunch they pottered about playing while i cleared table, washed up, swept floors and prepared activities for after school children. Admittedly i had to stop quite a few times to sort out wee problems for them but i think it is very sad that a 3yr old cant play alone for such a short space of time

Are we expected to constantly amuse and play with them? If so how do they learn to amuse themselves???

Maza
15-12-2011, 08:39 PM
I would be VERY interested to hear what her parents do with her during the time when she used to nap! You should ask them. Mine have quiet time on the sofa with a blanket and TV whilst I tidy up - you could reiterate that this tidying is essential for their health and safety and not just a break for you. Mine really need this 'down time' anyway, it really recharges their batteries. I also have a TV Policy which reassures the parents that I value TV as another learning tool and that you closely monitor what they watch. Mine watch Mr Tumble as I feel it promotes inclusion and equality. Often I will record something which ties in to one of our current topics. From the research I have done, most experts agree that one hour of TV a day is absolutely fine. The parents just need reassurance but they also need to trust your professional judgement.