PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone just stay in for a day?

rhea26
14-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Hi, I'm feeling bad today as we havent really been out anywhere, the weather is windy and raining on and of and we had a bit of snow earlier so we havent really been out, we just had a walk to the local field but that was only 20 mins, we usually go out every morning but kids didnt want to go anywhere so we did crafts this morning and had the lego out and now were warming up from our walk with a hot choc and pinnochio film!
Their all quite happy but I feel bad we havent really left the house, I know we dont have to do outings every day but I do like them to get a bit of exercise and fresh air, so anyone else just have quiet days sometimes?

Monkey26
14-12-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm looking forward to getting out and about again!
I was potty training last week with three 2 years olds so, except for school runs, was at home doing crafts etc and this week it has been so cold and windy we've hardly been out as well (except for the Christmas party at the childrens centre on monday anyways!)
So no, don't feel guilty - when its all dark and yukky afterschool we all love a snuggle on the sofa with a warm milk, bowl of fruit and watch a dvd :) xx

AliceK
14-12-2011, 01:44 PM
We don't go out every day. Well except to do school and nursery runs but when it's as cold as it is at the moment and I have felt really rough for the past 2 weeks so we stay in the warm and play / do crafts.

xxxxx

sonia ann
14-12-2011, 02:26 PM
All my children are part timers who come for a maximum of 2 days a week, some only come 1 day, some 3 afternoons...................we rarely go out except for daily garden play. By the time we have fitted in meals , naps and school runs there is little time for outings as well...............and as they are here for such a short time I have no problem with it.They also all go to plenty of other activities and trips with their parents.
If I had full timers I think it would be more important to give them more experiences.

Beetlejuice
14-12-2011, 02:33 PM
I'm in all day today aside from school runs. DH is v poorly so I don't want to go far and mindee is full of cold/teething and not himself so we are chilling out at home. I'm exhausted from dealing with DHs illness and some issues with DD1 so it's nice to just chill. I'm not working tomorrow so have booked myself in for a Swedish Massage - cannot wait!

boxtree7
14-12-2011, 02:37 PM
I was just thinking and feeling bad about not going out - the kids I have don't want to go out.

Penny1959
14-12-2011, 02:39 PM
We stay in some times and don't even do school run at the moment.

However I do try to go out at least every other day - for a walk to shops - to forest or park. Usually in term time we go once a week to childminders group which has soft play available.

I know some prefer to go to a toddler group or similar every day - but I don't like doing that as not my idea of home based childcare.

Penny :)

FizzWizz
14-12-2011, 03:05 PM
I only work three days a week. I go to groups on two days and then quite often we have the third day at home (other than the school run) so I can do a few craft / planned activities and do their observations etc We always try to get some fresh air on these days at home even if it's half an hour in the garden.. In the summer I go to the park more but when it's cold and wet I don't think anyone enjoys being out for too long lol!

PixiePetal
14-12-2011, 03:21 PM
I am only working 2 days a week - usually have 1 day in and 1 day out. Sometimes just to the library or for the whole day to a farm park. You just can't do everything for everyone all of the time and need to make it enjoyable for yourself too.

Some days we are inside all day doing crafts and playing around naps and meals. Home from home here :thumbsup:

kellib
14-12-2011, 03:47 PM
I had a mindee here this morning and normally we'll be out and about but I had to wait in for a plumber so we just had a fun morning in the house instead, sometimes it does the kids good just to chill out in the house :)

Newbie1!
14-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Most of mine prefer to stay in and like their creature comforts and central heating! They do of course get forced to go out too :D :D but I dont see why, if they are well entertained that it matters if you are in or out xx

helendee
14-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Personally I think that there is a bit of an obsession with having to go out and be busy all the time. I grew up in the late sixties and seventies and was very much left to entertain myself. I don't recall my mum taking me out very often, occasionally on weekends but certainly not every day.

We take our mindees to the park every other day and toddler groups once or twice a week and that is it really. They are all happy children and love doing things in the house.

rosebud
14-12-2011, 05:39 PM
I stay home at least once or twice a week. We go out to toddler groups, parks, etc the other days and do messy play and craft on the days when we're at home

miffy
14-12-2011, 05:43 PM
I don't go out every day either except for school runs. Sometimes children are just happy to be at home, especially this time of year when they are getting tired and have a lot going on with parties etc.

I wouldn't feel guilty about it especially as you know the children are happy.

Miffy xx

blue bear
14-12-2011, 07:12 PM
We go out if the children feel like it and stay in if they would rather. There's groups and soft play available every day but I tend to just follow the childrens lead really. We do have a lovely garden and are out playing most days but I certainly don't feel guilty when we have an in day.

Ali56
14-12-2011, 09:19 PM
We mostly go out on a tues and a thurs, weds we stay in or just walk to the par k or something if we want. We have lots of toys/activities at home and in the garden and theres always plenty to do! We like staying home! I also use the time to do obs etc. Sometimes we'll have another c/m over for a play.
Don't feel bad for staying in, its valuable time spent too!

Chimps Childminding
14-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Apart from the garden and the school run we don't go out very much! We have to go everywhere by car. There is no local park that we can walk to as the village is a mile and a half away along a very narrow path beside a very busy road, so unless you have 1 mindee in a buggy not suitable!!!

TBH some of the mindees have so much on in the evenings and weekends I think they are glad of some time just to chill, especially on a Monday!

Vickster
14-12-2011, 10:01 PM
This week, we have just done school runs and a trip to the local shop. I have a new one who likes a nap at 9.45am. It is too cold to get them all togged up and then hear them upset because of the cold! The boy I look after goes in and out of the garden all day. My DD is happy painting, sticking, glittering and role playing with the little people and me and the babies well they need their routines and are not walking! So I have given in to the weather! Come spring time we will be out alot more at the park etc!

stardust
14-12-2011, 10:30 PM
I attend toddler groups 2 days a week a Tue and Thur.
And the the other 3 days we are at home and do lots of crafts and stuff. ! day every week we either go out to another childminders for a play session or they will come to us. Going out is nice but i am making the most of the days staying in as in the summer we will be out lots but i am not dragging a 2 year old and 6 year old out everyday in the rain when they are happy to trash the play room, get covered in paint, glue, cotton wool, glitter, tinsel.................... I have control of them honest! :rolleyes:
xx

The Juggler
14-12-2011, 10:45 PM
when it is really cold the school run or a trip to the shops;/rounds the block is enough for the tinies. fresh air is important but crawlers - way tooo cold for the concrete floor in my garden at teh moment without gloves - and gloves no use in the wet mud, sand , water.

Other than fresh air, no I don't think it matters a jot if you are out doing toddlers, library whatever as long as they are entertained at our house.:)

angeldelight
15-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Yes of course we stay in more so in the winter

We can run around and dance etc just as well indoors

Dont feel guilty if you can not go out all the time

Angel xx

LChurch
15-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Don't forget that parents want a homely environment so I am sure they don't go out every day, we go to toddler groups on 2 to 3 days a week and the other days are in, sometimes the children just want to veg esp if they have a cold or wahtever.

uf353432
15-12-2011, 02:45 PM
The thing is in this job you physically cannot do it all, all of the time. At the moment outside play is done at the same time as the school runs, we try and get there 5-10 mins earlier and the younger children run around in the playground and let off some steam. But once you factor in children being run down and exhausted from a particularly long term and all the winter bugs, making and baking for xmas, xmas parties and group sessions etc. then its hard to do outside play every single day - especially if any of the children are required to sleep for any length of time in the day. If you do feel guilty then look at your day to see if you can change things - otherwise accept it as it is now and plan for outdoor activities you can look forward to in the near future with all the planning and preparation you need.

Helen79
15-12-2011, 03:17 PM
I don't get back from the school run until 9.15 and 3 days a week 1 mindee gets dropped off at 10am. They're all ready for a sleep by 11.30 so we normally have an early lunch so a lot of days we don't really have time to go out in the morning.
Mindees sleep for a few hours then it's back to school runs at 2.15 and mindees are all home by 3pm so we don't have time to go out in the afternoons either.

I've ended up out of the routine of going to toddler groups so am going to start going back to a few after xmas but for now mindees are happy doing craft activities and playing at home.

Cammie Doodle
15-12-2011, 06:50 PM
As Carolyn stated we are in the middle of nowhere (ask Penny lol, )but we are very lucky as our Mindees get to meet up with each other everyday they attend our settings . And to be fair it does Carolyn and I good to have each other next door to each other

mrs robbie williams
15-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Hi, I'm feeling bad today as we havent really been out anywhere, the weather is windy and raining on and of and we had a bit of snow earlier so we havent really been out, we just had a walk to the local field but that was only 20 mins, we usually go out every morning but kids didnt want to go anywhere so we did crafts this morning and had the lego out and now were warming up from our walk with a hot choc and pinnochio film!
Their all quite happy but I feel bad we havent really left the house, I know we dont have to do outings every day but I do like them to get a bit of exercise and fresh air, so anyone else just have quiet days sometimes?

I know what you mean - i have a 14 month old mindee 3 days a week and just lately except for 2 walks to school and back each day and taking the dog for half hour walk we've been in - its too cold to be outside at the moment :(