PDA

View Full Version : Head lice.......

SimplyLucy
19-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Having a bit of an issue with 1 mindee at the moment.

I have siblings arrive at 6.30am in their pj's so they get dressed, have breakfast, wash, teeth and obviously I do their hair.

Because doing their hair is part of my job and mum only does it at weekends when I noticed one child had head lice I informed her. To which she said, "oh really."

Well that was last Wednesday and the child still hasn't had her hair treated or even checked. I asked the child this morning when I notcied the headlice were still there.

What do I do now. I refuse to comb her hair myself, I hate having to do it for my own children so won't be doing it for others.:angry:

Blaze
19-05-2008, 09:06 AM
I have a headlice policy ...under my terms i would ring the parent & ask them to collect immediately & refuse care until the child has been treated...they have had plenty of time to sort treatment out!

If you have nothing like this in your policies then I would write up a letter stating something similar to the above & give them 48 hours to treat or care will be refused!:)

sarah707
19-05-2008, 09:08 AM
Give her a little written note this time (as telling her isn't working) saying something like -

'I noticed live head lice and nits in xxx's hair again this morning. I am sorry, but if they are not treated by tomorrow, then I will have to exclude her until you have had time to get the lotion and treat her.

I am sure you understand I would have to close for a day to treat myself if I caught them and that would be letting down a lot of families.

There is lots of advice and information here about head lice -

http://www.onceaweektakeapeek.com/

- and I have always found the ladies at the local pharmacy very helpful in advising the latest recommended treatment.

Thank you.'

I'm not sure what your policy says, but you could refer her to that if it gives you a get out clause for excluding.

Hope this helps :D

angeldelight
19-05-2008, 09:08 AM
Well I think you have given them long enough now to sort it anyway

Why is this parent being so hopeless about it ? It can make her children really miserable not to mention passing them onto everyone else

I would speak with her again and tell her you expect her to have sorted it out by the time they come to you again

Good luck

Angel xx

Tatia
19-05-2008, 09:29 AM
If it's the cost, she can get an Rx from the chemist. And even the good ol' conditioner in the hair and a good comb is better than nothing.

LOOPYLISA
19-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Having a bit of an issue with 1 mindee at the moment.

I have siblings arrive at 6.30am in their pj's so they get dressed, have breakfast, wash, teeth and obviously I do their hair.

Because doing their hair is part of my job and mum only does it at weekends when I noticed one child had head lice I informed her. To which she said, "oh really."

Well that was last Wednesday and the child still hasn't had her hair treated or even checked. I asked the child this morning when I notcied the headlice were still there.

What do I do now. I refuse to comb her hair myself, I hate having to do it for my own children so won't be doing it for others.:angry:

:angry: Don.t talk to me about head lice, my step-daughter who visits us every 2 wks is infested every time she visits, same thing here you tell mum - she denies it!!!!!!! the poor thing is so embarrased its not her fault, so most of saturday is us both upstairs doing hair for what seems like hours :censored: x

Jinx
19-05-2008, 10:20 AM
What is the prefered treatment for head lice now anyway? My daughters school issues letters saying that the conditioner/combing method is the ONLY recommended one now!!
Just wondering if there is some magical treatment out there that I haven't heard of? My lot haven't had nits for 4 years now...we must be due a bout of it this year!

Jinx x

LOOPYLISA
19-05-2008, 10:27 AM
What is the prefered treatment for head lice now anyway? My daughters school issues letters saying that the conditioner/combing method is the ONLY recommended one now!!
Just wondering if there is some magical treatment out there that I haven't heard of? My lot haven't had nits for 4 years now...we must be due a bout of it this year!

Jinx x
I use full marks doesnt seem to work though!, for my daughter its hair wash condition then run the comb through it thank goodness she is lucky i hardly ever find any (only when we have her stepsister! oh thats wicked to say ! just drives me mad x:censored:

Blaze
19-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Highly recommended...also £10 in Boots.

http://www.nittygritty.co.uk/ng/index.jsp?gclid=CJzUp9_UzIsCFQ0fEAodhwxq_g

Most lice are now lotion/chemical resistant due to people not using them correctly...hence combings the way to go...this one is the best...gets rid of the eggs & everything!:) :clapping:

SimplyLucy
19-05-2008, 10:30 AM
I've used the nitty gritty comb for years, it's amazing.

Think I'm going to mention it to mum once more this afternoon and if the child hasn't been checked/treated by tomorrow moring I'll then issue a letter giving her 48 hours to deal with it else the child will be turned away.

Jinx
19-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Highly recommended...also £10 in Boots.

http://www.nittygritty.co.uk/ng/index.jsp?gclid=CJzUp9_UzIsCFQ0fEAodhwxq_g

Most lice are now lotion/chemical resistant due to people not using them correctly...hence combings the way to go...this one is the best...gets rid of the eggs & everything!:) :clapping:

Thats the comb I've got! It is good.
So there is no new magic treatment then..:rolleyes: shame. :rolleyes:
Last time I had to treat the kids it took me almost an hour per head to comb through their hair! I was close to reaching for the clippers and giving them a grade 1!!!!!!!
Aghhhh, I'm itching now!!!!:D

Jinx x

littlewonders
19-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Bring back the nit nurse eh?! My daughter is forever getting them I spend a fortune on lotion! Some parents just can't be bothered! I feel sorry for the little en's whose parents don't treat their hair, not only is it embarrassing for them but it must be annoying for them to.

Thanks for that link Sarah it's great! Might get one of the posters to put on my parents board :)

Mollymop
19-05-2008, 10:34 AM
If it's the cost, she can get an Rx from the chemist. And even the good ol' conditioner in the hair and a good comb is better than nothing.

Conditioner on the hair is apparently the best way to get rid of hair lice, as said, by our very own school nurse. :thumbsup:

Tatia
19-05-2008, 10:37 AM
I found Lyclear very effective. My dd and then I kept getting them from her old playgroup. Lyclear is about £10 and smells of ylang ylang oil. You spray it in and only have to leave it on for 10 or 15 minutes.

mrsb
19-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Touch wood my kids have never had nits and my oldest is now 8. I put 3 drops of tea tree oil in their conditioner every time I wash their hair and it works, if I know nits is going round then I dab tea tree oil behind their ears and the nape of the neck - in the hair not on their actual ears lol.

I hate the treatments as they are sooooo high in nasty chemicals etc

nits/headlice hate tea tree oil so they stay away lol.

Wendy Woo
19-05-2008, 12:04 PM
its makin me itch just thinkin/readin bout it. Touch wood had no problems YET!!!!!!!

devoncm
19-05-2008, 12:19 PM
I tried everything when mine always got them now tho i just use tee tree conditioner every hair wash, they still get them sometimes but its a fortune to get lotions all the time- does the nitty gritty actually work? ive brought a comb before that is suppose to zap them recomended by my mum but that didnt work either

Banana
19-05-2008, 03:27 PM
I am itching :laughing:

I exclude any child with headlice until they have been treated, I call for them to be collected and treated and until that has happened I do not provide care (it is still chargeable as stated in my policy). Apparently we shouldnt exclude but I dont care, I dont want me or my family getting them.

We use lyclear and have never had any problems with it.
x

Noodles
19-05-2008, 03:34 PM
I used headrin last time i needed to and the good old nittygritty comb its great:)

littlesprogs
19-05-2008, 03:34 PM
when me and my sister had them when we were younger we used to used conditioner and a comb because other treatments only kill the lice and not the eggs.

We found that when me and my sister started using hair products (hairspray and gel etc) we stopped getting them. Dont think the lice liked the smell or texture of it or something

Tatia
19-05-2008, 04:08 PM
When I was doing social work in The States, we were taught to wear our hair scraped back in a pony tail or better yet, a bun and to plaster our heads with hairspray to try and avoid picking them up.

devoncm
20-05-2008, 09:48 AM
that what i do with my daughters hair-they dont like it cos it makes them cough but its better than having to go through all the time

gailee
21-05-2008, 12:15 PM
my dd's school is very bad at the moment with these horrible things I've do my daughters hair every day and put their hair up but the still come home with them! Its the other parents that don't do their childrens hair and infest other children. I use the conditoner and comb best way!! I've but on gel in their hair to see if that will keep them off!!!!
I have other children from the school after school and i have a 14 month baby and his mum came round last night saying her sons hair was covered with nits and she's cut his hair short (he had lovely curly hair,) She wasn't nasty or horrible BUt very upset which is understandable !! but i've got to keep the other children away from him so they don't pass along again and make sure he doesn't get them again? or she said she would cancel !! So i've got to be conscious(sp) of other children playgrounds,parks and other places we go to during the day!! :panic:

angeldelight
22-05-2008, 07:32 AM
I might have missed what happened in your other thread but did mom get rid of these yet Lucy?

Angel xx