PDA

View Full Version : Panic! What do I need?

Becci26
14-12-2011, 09:55 AM
AAGGGHHHH

I have just got off the phone to a parent who wants to visit today at 2pm!

This is my first enquiry that is not a friend, what do I need to have in place?

Helpppppp!

Pipsqueak
14-12-2011, 10:01 AM
you will want to show her scrapbooks of pics
your portfolio with certificates

you will just want to chat to her really, get to know her needs and requirements - jot it all down
don't commit to anything immediately

show her around, give her a general idea of what they can expect from you - routines, meals, what is included in the price, outings etc, briefly explain a little about you - experience, why you mind, your 'ethos'
I'd steer clear of full on policies and procedures at the moment - obviously give/tell her the fees structure etc

I'd give her an outline of signing up and settling in

just relax and be you- be friendly but professional and go with the flow
interact with the child if they bring them

Becci26
14-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Thankyou!

I needn't have panicked, she's just phoned and cancelled! :angry:

I really hope I get some children starting soon, can't afford to live on the very small amount I have coming in right now! :panic:

Wendybird
14-12-2011, 04:54 PM
For the future - I have an introduction page about me and what I'm about (ethos, professional background, what we get up to etc) and a Services & Fees Policy that I give parents with my business card stapled to. I always point them in the direction of my website when they call to enquire so they can see what I'm about before they arrive. Then I just have a chat, let their kids play and give them a tour. I try to get a sense of them and whether it is a good fit with me and my family. I generally offer a cup of tea so it feels more relaxed - kids pick up on that and are more relaxed too. I always tell them to have a think and get back to me - it allows me to have a think as well. I think it is sort of like dating - you don't want to seem desperate! I've never had anyone not want to sign up. :thumbsup:

dette
14-12-2011, 08:33 PM
I usually have a good chat on the phone when they first enquire to see if i can realistically accomodate them then i arrange a visit outside of work hours so i have time to sit and chat properly.i have a parents info leaflet with a bit about me and my experience ,what qualifications i have and hourly rates ,opening hours,holiday cost etc that they can take away with them.I show them round and give them an idea of what my day involves and find out what routines they need to see if i can follow or adapt to suit us both then invite them back during work hours for a bit of a play and a cuppa to see me in action.Then if we like each other i arrange a paperwork meeting,again outside of working hours because its suprising how long a parent can take to fill in a few consent forms and child record etc( had a parent on monday night this week arrive at half 6 ,I,d just worked for 11 hours at this point and she left at quarter to 9 !!! my kids were so tired ,poor things but i wouldnt have been able to go into the level of detail for each signiture that she made while i was minding and i know she felt reasured that i was being thorough but 2 1/4 hours really !!!! but got a 40 hour contract signed up :) ) anyway once ive got all relavant legal documents in place i fit in a few little taster sessions before starting them in for real and give a month settling in period for either party to change their mind.Try and give the impresion that you've been doing it for years and dont panic .Just smile x